“Great location, lovely staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of York Marriott Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
York Marriott Hotel
Ranked #35 of 46 Hotels in York
N. Wales
“Great location, lovely staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

Visited the hotel for a one night break in March. It was on a dinner bed and breakfast basis and we paid £109.

Parking was fine, check in was easy, and the reception staff very friendly. We were a little early, so sat in the bar whilst waiting for our room. Drinks were a little expensive, £6 for a small house wine and £3 for a hot chocolate.

Room was spacious, comfortable and clean. We were given a garden view room. Had the usual, hairdrier, iron/ironing board, toiletries and flat screen TV. It had a minibar, which was empty so you could keep some of your own drinks cool.

We used the leisure facilities, which were okay for a quick swim and jacuzzi, but you wouldnt really stay in there all day.

We had evening meal included in the price of the hotel, so wasnt expecting much, but you were given £25 per person which you could use for either the set menu or al la carte menu. I have to say, the quality of the food was superb. We did have a mix up with a couple of the courses and the bill, but the staff were fantastic and sorted this out without any fuss. They couldn't do enough for you. Total bill before deduction was £80.50 and we had three courses each, a bottle of rose (£24) and two beers (Pint and half of Stella £6.50)

Breakfast the next day was a buffet, with everything you would expect and more. Even had an area where they would cook you fresh pancakes.

The location of the hotel is great. Not to far from York city centre, but I would say you'd need to drive into York or get a bus. Its a bit too far to walk if its cold or raining. Car parks in York are quite expensive, with central ones costing around £2.20 per hour. The hotel its self has a rear terrace area with views of York racecourse. You could imagine that on race day, it would be one of the best places to stay.

Overall, great hotel, good location, lovely staff, would visit again.

Room Tip: The garden room didnt really have much of a view but the room itself was spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

The hotel is well placed for York with bus stops outside and regular transport into the city (which take 5/10 mins).

Our room (with two doubles) was great for a family and was pleasingly large but.... on arrival the toilet seat was broken plus had a suspicious brown mark! The sink had hairs in. The room also smelled a bit. THis was all fixed but I just feel a dirty room gets you off to a bad start.

The hotel pool was freezing cold for two of the three days we were there (something was broken) and since it was snowing outside we would have liked to make good use of it.

The staff were very friendly, the breakfast nice. But once again I have found Marriott is not as good as it should be.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from staying at the marriott. The hotel is lovely, very friendly staff. We had a large grandstand room which overlooked the racecourse. Room was clean, nice big bathroom with double shower and bath, superking sized bed, which was very comfy. Also had a balcony with table and chairs, had the weather been alot warmer it would have been lovely to sit out. Buffett breakfast was great, everything you could think of, including fresh fruit (Which is a bonus). It had a big car park which many hotels in york dont have, so this was great. Although the heating worked i think the dial had come off so it only had a little stub to control it, but nothing major. The only problem was my partner got flu whilst we were there so this put a dampner on things. Would definately return to this hotel though.

• Stayed March 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

I have been staying at this Marriott for years and i was unimpressed this week. Despite being a "frequent and valued customer" (according to my welcome letter from the GM) I was in a smallish room with the smallest bathroom I have ever seen - smaller even than central London hotels. The room was freezing, and after I cranked the new wall settings to max I realised the room was not getting any warmer. I Checked and it was blowing out cold air. Found a small radiator which took foreve pr to heat the room up. The second night I asked them to bring an extra duvet as I had been so cold on the first. I had to call for it twice and it eventually arrived with a duvet cover for me to put on!

Room service on the first night was an absolutely dreadful burger and undercooked chips. Ate half and gave up.

The first morning I had someone hammering n my door just after 7 asking If I was with the tour. If I hadn't already been awake I would have been really annoyed about this. How hard is it to keep a list of which rooms the tour guests are in?

Breakfast is fine.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed in hotel as this was venue for a wedding, they did a great job for the wedding, food was fabulous, disco great sound and staff were superb. We used the pool and again very friendly staff.

We took an upgrade for our room, which sounded great, but it was on ground floor and no heating! - with -3c outside, not great.

The hotel credited the upgrade.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

I spent a weekend with my Husband at this hotel in March. The staff were all exceptionally friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Our room was large with 6ft very comfy bed. Bathroom was a little tired looking and they had run out of shower gel which was annoying as I didn't take any! Food in restaurant was very good. Will definitely go back.Easy to walk to Town centre or hop on any bus.

Room Tip: Our room was on first floor and very quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for myself & a friend, who I wanted to treat for a spa day. We were happy to find it only a short taxi ride from the station & were welcomed by friendly staff at reception. We were slightly early to check in, however we sat & had drinks & snacks in the lovely conservatory overlooking the race course. Drinks, I felt were overpriced, however. The waiter did try to charge me twice for this, but that was a genuine mistake - he had forgotten I had paid cash at the bar & then handed me another bill at the end! He apologised for his mistake. Our room was luxurious, with a double bed each! And I must say the comfiest bed I've ever slept in. The bathroom was fine, clean & modern. The leisure facilities were ok. The sauna was set too hot nobody could use it but the pool & steam room were fine. Our massages were booked an hour apart, there wasnt a very relaxing atmosphere in the spa, it was clear there was one girl working alone & lacked enthusiasm during our treatments. The massage was poor if I'm honest. Breakfast was average, lots of items omitted & no bread for toast, had to ask for butter. Waitress said a full English breakfast would need to be specially made, almost making me feel that was a burden - even though we had paid for it. On the whole, a very pleasant stay, pricey but pleasant.

• Stayed January 2013