“If you want a decent Sunday lunch don't visit the Marriott!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of York Marriott Hotel

York Marriott Hotel
Ranked #35 of 46 Hotels in York
York, United Kingdom
“If you want a decent Sunday lunch don't visit the Marriott!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

My family came over from Lincolnshire for the day and we decided to have Sunday lunch here. One word can describe it "terrible". The staff were very inattentive and poorly trained and the food - what there was of it was atrocious. The presentation of the lunch was awful and if you didn't like the scrappy bit of turkey and dried up vegetables on offer there was little else. So we all walked out after saying that we did not find the food palatable. The staff couldn't care less and WE apologised for not being able to eat the food and Maria, the Assistant Restaurant Manager told us not to revisit, which we certainly will not. I do not wish to give this hotel any rating at all.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Patricia W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights at start of St Nicholas fayre in a Grandstand room which was clean and spacious. It also had a great view over York racecourse. Facilities are reasonable, swimming pool on the small side.Found the staff very helpfull and efficient. The buffet breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice. Would definately stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Cheshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

It's been a while since I last stayed at a Marriott hotel. I was in the city to visit a client on the Monday morning . The room price was very reasonable at £69 so it was fairly easy to choose this hotel. Combine that with the close proximity to the clients site and the decision was made.

The rooms are well appointed, with a large screen TV, desk, table, armchair and large bed. Unfortunately, as I was on the top floor, the windows were set high and therefore I had no effective view over the racecourse. Mind you, the noise of the air-conditioner in my room was truly awful. It was only the fact that I have the habit of sleeping in earplugs that allowed me a decent nights sleep. I do not honestly believe I'd have got a wink otherwise.

Another gripe with the Marriott is the cost of the additional facilities. £15 for 24 hours for the Internet is nothing less that gouging. Even worse is the cost for an hour - £6! I'm sorry, but that price is blatant profiteering. Take that from someone in the IT industry who knows the cost of running such a network. Add into this breakfast at £15, even continental is £10.95 and the costs soon add up.

As always with Marriott hotels, the service was top notch, even to the point where I left my Kindle in my room and it was forwarded to me by recorded delivery at no cost. I have always found that hotel staff are honest and friendly, but it is wonderful to see this demonstrated so well.

Room Tip: Make sure that the air conditioning is not too noisy. If you want a decent view avoid floor 3.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MalvolioCheshire
Blackpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night on a Saturday. We had a grandstand room and you get what you pay for. Our bed was huge and we had a great night sleep. The breakfast was great and the staff were really helpful. Plenty of secure parking. If you want a good taxi service we asked at reception and they called streamline taxis, we got a taxi into the centre which cost us £5 and £5 back. Would stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank M155KMB
Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

The hotel is situated with a great view overlooking York racecourse. Our booking was last minute and we stayed in a standard room which was very standard for the money. The bed was comfortable which was great and the room was really clean but was also feeling pretty tired and in need of some refurbishment. Our bathroom was tiny. I could easily touch opposite walls and there wasn't space for a hand rail. The heating system was noisy but a separate electric heater was provided which was thoughtful and useful and we did have a good night's sleep. Breakfast was efficient with good choice but fairly average standard. However the staff were great - cheerful and helpful. We like Marriott hotels and this one is OK and perfectly comfortable but could do with a little material t.l.c. in order to reflect the great attitude of the staff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Wrecktor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed on a week long course being held in the management centre. My room was pretty big, adequate and clean. Wasn't a huge fan of the squishy pillows but the bed was comfy and the room had everything I needed.
On our course we got breakfast, lunch and dinner included....as well as elevenses and mid afternoon snacks.....we ate like kings for the week!! The food very was good. Lunch was buffet style with warm meals, salad section, soup choice and lovely puds! Every mid morning and mid afternoon in the management centre we were brought treats like pancakes, waffles, mini pizza, mini cheesecakes.....I could go on, we looked forward to seeing what that day would bring in the treat department! Also a good coffee machine and selection of teas in the communal area of the centre. It was great for our course.
Breakfast had loads of choice. Dinner was either in the restaurant or bar, different menus. We ate a couple of nights in both and were not disappointed with any of our meals. We personally preferred the bar menu as it was slightly lighter snacks after our big lunches.
I used the leisure facilities on three of the mornings. Yes the pool is small but good enough for me to do a bit of exercise. It opens at 6am, I got there for 6.30am and I more or less had it to myself for half an hour, maybe one other person comes and goes. You wouldn't want many more in it with you to be honest. But there's a jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and gym, all free for guests. The changing rooms a clean and tidy.
Overall I enjoyed my stay, the food being a highlight! The staff I came into contact with were all polite, especially the guy behind the bar, I should've got his name. Would I be as chuffed if I'd have been here for a break, paid with my own money? Maybe not. But they wouldn't have got lower than a four. A nice place!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Aldridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

spent 4 nights in a grandstand room, 3rd visit this year. This time for christmas shopping in Leeds and York. Train to Leeds and Bus into York. Transport links excellent.
Room was clean and tidy, ex mini bar useful to keep drinks and milk chilled. Reception staff and Restaurant staff all friendly and efficient even when confronted by miserable guests!
Food is expensive but very good quality. If you don't want chips alternative was available on request or vice versa. Breakfast buffet was excellent, staff topped up hot and cold food constantly. Can't believe how many parents let children completely waste loads of food!!
Well done to all staff, we will be back soon.

Room Tip: grandstand rooms are best, otherwise ask for garden view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple