“Ok for what we wanted but needs updating”

York Marriott Hotel
Ranked #35 of 46 Hotels in York
leeds
“Ok for what we wanted but needs updating”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed for one night so for what we wanted the hotel was just fine, let's be honest you don't go to York and stay in your room. We found a hotel in need of a face lift, our bed was uncomfortable and the room had a funny foist/smokey smell which we thought was coming from the vent system. All in all we enjoyed our our mini break however next time we would look at alternative hotels as paying the extra for a so called premium brand hotel is simply not worth it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Marksal07
Many thanks for your feedback. I am very sorry for the issues you faced and thank for your drawing this to my attention. We pride ourselves on the comfortableness of our beds so I will be sure to investigate your concerns with my Property Manager today to ensure this is fully resolved.
Thank you once again for your comments.
Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We were reall only transiting on our way from Scotland to London. But this is a typically good Marriott chain hotel. The hotel was modern and decent sized rooms.

I only wish they could have done something to improve the weather!!!!

Try the Fox and Roman pub just walking distance down the road for a good feed.

Room Tip: My room was ok.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear Johnnie 1948
Many thanks for your kind words. I only wish the weather could have been better for your time in York!
I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels, have a safe trip home and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

The hotel is moments away from the York Racecourse, and I can imagine in the summer its a great place to be whilst the races are on and the sun is shining in the front garden and terrace. Although this was January, we had a nice meal in the bar area, a Club Sandwich with Crisps (£11) and a chicken burger with chips (£12.50) That evening as hotel was very quiet we went for an Indian which was a 5 minute drive away.
We stayed on the Saturday night at £120 for a standard room WITHOUT breakfast. The room was nice the bathroom was a little pokey, and whilst we had a great time, for £120 we were expecting something a little more glamorous. There's plenty of hotels in around York, and next time we would probably look elsewhere. There is ample parking onsite which is always a benefit. I can imagine in some York hotels this is a premium.
Wifi is £15 for 24 hours in the rooms, which is extortionate when you can get a months supply of that at home for same price. I know they are trying to win the extra £15 from business travellers, but its a little too much in 2014.
To get into York is only ten mins away by bus. We both used the bus as it stopped outside the hotel and a day pass was only £3.80 each, although if it was late at night I am sure a taxi would have been reasonable as not very far away at all.
We used the leisure facilities the day we were checking out, which were great. Nice pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. Although we had to quickly make our way back and checkout otherwise a charge of £10 per hour is levied for additional use of the room.

We had a great time in York, stayed in a nice hotel with lovely facilities. But next time we would probably look for another hotel in the city centre.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the racecourse would have been lovely
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Oli A
Thank you for taking the time to post this review and I am glad you enjoyed your time in York.
We certainly are very fortunate with our location opposite the racecourse and it is a fantastic atmosphere on race days.
Please do let me know should you be returning to the city so I can discuss your accommodation needs and hopefully persuade you to stay once again.
mark.leyland@marriott.com
Ely
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Enjoyed a family weekend in York at this hotel.

We arrived early and were not allowed to check in or have a room allocated due to the hotel being busy, which was fine but the member of staff was rather matter of fact rather than helpful and welcoming. Service for the rest of the stay was excellent.

That said, the hotel is in a lovely position overlooking the racecourse but is slightly further out of Central York than we had anticipated.

The family sized room was typical Marriott styling and layout. Ample size for a family of four.

Breakfast was a little cramped, although the view overlooking the racecourse is very nice.

The hotel does have some nice small swimming pools including one for toddlers. There is also a nice steam room, small jacuzzi and a tanning machine if you feel so inclined.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the racecourse
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear BluePirate68
Many thanks for this review and indeed for your recent loyal custom. I am sorry that we were not able to offer you an early check in and I will be sure to follow up on your comments. Thank you for your kind words with regards to the service you received for the remainder of your time with us which I will share with my team.
I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back soon and please do ask for me on your next stay so I can introduce myself in person.
Rehovot, Israel
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights on a work trip.
To start off I despise hotels that in 2014 make you pay for wifi in your room - especially when it is £15 per 24 hours! As soon as I find out this - I will automatically look for somewhere else to stay on my trip.
With regards to the place itself - it was ok. It is next to the race-course so convenient if you are there for that - otherwise it is about £7 to jump into a cab to get to the city center (York really is a stunning place!)
One thing the hotel does do is offer free use of the spa (although I would rather have the internet).
The room itself was very spacious and clean, although the overall style of the hotel did feel a little dated. Which is why I say it is losing out to some of the newer and more modern boutique hotels.
Overall and average experience with nothing particularly standing out. Would not have stayed here if it was not for work sending me to York. If I go to York again I will not be staying at the Marriot!

Room Tip: choose one as near to the lobby as possible and you can pick up the free WIFI that is in the lobby
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Aaron_Marissa
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Aaron_Marissa

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am delighted you found York to be a stunning location as we are all very proud of our city and heritage.
I am of course disappointed to learn that should you be returning to York that you will not be choosing to stay with us. I would be most grateful if you are in need of accommodation in the future if you might contact me directly at mark.leyland@marriott.com as I would be very keen to discuss further the issues you faced and hopefully regain your loyalty.
As you mention we provide complimentary high speed internet access twenty four hours a day in our public areas and our Gold and Platinum Marriott Reward Members can also obtain this in their bedrooms. I will ensure your feedback in respect of this is passed on to our senior management team.
If you are interested in a more boutique hotel experience please do consider our Autograph, Edition, Renaissance or AC Hotels by Marriott brands as we have some stunning boutique properties in Europe and indeed across the world.
Thank you once again for taking the time to provide this feedback and I look forward to hopefully hearing from you soon.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed here over the Xmas period. I found it an excellent location with a great room, great staff and a first-class buffet breakfast.

The minus points were a narrow, claustrophobic corridor on the ground floor, horrifying prices for drink (£3.80 for a 25ml measure of whisky), a very long hike from room to reception and a poor quality evening meal of fish on the first night that ensured I did not dine there again.

Room Tip: Check your room first before you accept.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Itinerant2014

Thank you for your recent loyal custom and also for taking the time to post this review.

I am delighted you found our hotel to be in an excellent location and thank you for your kind words about our bedrooms, my colleagues and our breakfast buffet.

I am sorry to hear about the disappointment you experienced with your evening meal and our beverage prices. I will be sure to review this with my Executive Chef and my Restaurant and Bars Manager.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide this valued feedback and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back soon.

Kindest Regards
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed here for new year, the gala dinner was average at best, which was a pity as no excuse for poor food. Breakfast was a lot better plenty of choices. staff was fantastic, cannot fault in terms of service and after service, as partner left her dress in room and they forward it on free of charge,

This alone made up for the Poor WiFi , and poor dinner, good location especially for the races.

The rooms are noisey especially in the bathroom as you can hear everything going on

We would stay in here again as location good staff excellent, but we wouldn't have dinner here

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends