“Super hotel, friendly staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of York Marriott Hotel

York Marriott Hotel
Ranked #35 of 46 Hotels in York
sheffield
“Super hotel, friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Ideal location, nice and relaxing, friendly helpful staff. The room was ready even though we arrived early.

Bed was sooooo comfy with 4 very comfy pillows. Don't think I've had such a comfy bed! Would definitely stay again.

The only down side was the leisure club is a bit tired looking and the pool wasn't very warm.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear mandsSheffield
Thank you for your recent loyal custom and also for taking the time to post this review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I will be sure to follow up on your comments about the Leisure Club and pool temperature. I am pleased you found the beds so comfy as we pride ourselves on these. I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back soon and many thanks once again.
Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed for just one night in Feb 2014. Room 2 double beds, very comfortable, plenty room for the 3 of us. Plenty towels, bathroom clean with complimentary shower gel etc. Staff friendly & helpful. Breakfast very nice the next morning. Would definitely stay again. We arrived back at the hotel on the Saturday night in a very bad rain storm & we were all soaked through, the door staff went & brought us all warm dry towels, very much appreciated. Didn't managed to use the pool.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel has lovely views over York Racecourse.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SAR65
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear SAR65
Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to provide this feedback. I am delighted we were able to look after you so well and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will be sure to thank my colleagues for providing towels as you mention in your review, as it is little touches such as this that I have found can make all the difference.
Please do drop me a note when you might next me staying so I can say hello in person and hopefully the weather will be a little kinder!
Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed her for 1 night recentley and loved it! - Very tempted to stay longer. We stay at York alot and normally go to a basic hotel but thought we would treat ourselves, what a difference! We got a hotel at a deal but it was definatley worth the money we payed. The staff were all lovely very nice girl on reception who let us check in a little earlier than we were meant to. Our room was a very large room, massive bed, lovely view of the racecourse, massive tv & the bathroom was just as big and looked & smelled very clean.
We used the spa on our stay and have never being so relaxed - we were a little worried the memebers might not like us using the spa but everybody was so friendly, with a pool, large jaquzi, steam room and sauna, & plently of sunbeds for relaxing!
Agian all the staff very helpful, & let us stay in the spa the next morning after weve checked out - much appreiciated. We will be using this hotel agian no doubt about it - we cant go back to the budget hotel now after experiencing this amazing hotel! Would definatley recommend!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Chloe525
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback and also for your kind words. This will be incredibly motivational for my team.
Please do let me know when you plan on returning so I can thank you in person.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

My boyfriend and myself stayed at the marriott for a long weekend as part of a Christmas present. All I can say is, it was the best hotel I've been in by far. Where to start?!

First off, the staff were amazing and always polite. Never made to feel like we were 'too common' or too young do be in such a hotel (like some have done, were 24) the rooms are very clean and well looked after. We loved the fact they had an ironing board and not just an iron and the beds are absolute heaven, they were that big I couldn't find my other half in the bed during the night. We only wish we'd stayed a little bit longer because we didn't get to do all the things we would if liked like the swimming pool and spa.

The breakfast was lovely, freshly cooked and forever kept piping hot. And the restaurant in the hotel was just as lovely.

The only slight issue we had was when we arrived at 4pm we requested for the 2 singles beds to be made into a double, we were totally fine if this want possible but we were told it would be no bother. We waited until 8pm (with repetitive trips to reception) to get this done and all they did was zip up the middle. If we had known thats all that needed to be done we wouldn't have bothered bugging the poor girls on reception (our own fault) But despite that, it was a fantastic stay and would forever recommend it.

We are already looking at days in which we can come back sometime soon and this time with my 3yr old daughter in tow. Fabulous hotel and can't wait to visit again.
Thank you so much!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank katfmadden
Dear Katfmadden
Thank you so very much for such a fantastic review. I really am very grateful that you have taken the time to provide me with this feedback. It will be a delight to read out your comments in our daily meeting today and thank my team for taking such good care of you. I will look into your comments regarding the time it took for the beds to be changed as this should not be the case.
Please do let me know once you have booked to stay again so I can introduce myself in person and ensure we take extra special care of you.
Thank you once again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for three in mid November 2013. Arrived about 1pm, a bit early for book in, however this was no problem. Room was ready and staff we're very helpful. Stayed first floor, lovely room. Bed was over 6ft wide! Great sleep. Good to have small fridge in the room. View over parkland/racecourse. Had bar lunch with friends which was well presented and good quality.

A half hour walk to the city centre which was perfect for exploring.
I would stay here again, could have done with a few extra nights on my stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Davidt8271
Many thanks for your kind words. I will be sure to review your feedback with my team today. I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Southport UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

We stay at the hotel every January for 2 nights and love it. Great location. We walk into York so no parking costs. Breakfast is fantastic served 6.30 til 11 am. The rooms are spacious with everything you need. The hotel is clean and the staff are helpful and polite. York itself has so much to offer from historic trips, ghost walks to retail therapy. We love this trip and can't wait for 2015.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Corias
Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to post this review. I am delighted you enjoyed your time in York so much. We certainly are very fortunate to live in such a beautiful city.
Please do contact me when you are looking to return next year so I can be sure to introduce myself in person and thank you for all your loyal custom.
Mark Leyland
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed here to celebrate my birthday, and as a special treat we decided to book the penthouse suite. For the price, I would definitely book it again and would highly recommend it for anyone else wanting to book.

The room itself was huge, very clean and had everything you could have wanted (the only thing we think would have finished it off perfectly is a larger flat screen TV). The bed was super comfy and huge! I even tried to kick my fella to stop him snoring and I couldn't find him he was that far away lol. The room was warm and the air con/heating worked perfectly. The bathroom had twin sinks, a bath with shower over and a large shower cubicle.

We had our evening meal in the room, along with our breakfast. Both were served in a timely manner, hot, tasty, by friendly staff. We didn't order drinks, as we went to the Tesco's across the road and brought our own in for a fraction of the price.

We did make use of the pool, jacuzzi and steam room. As it was a Saturday night we were staying, the pool was full of children most of the day and evening so we opted for a later visit and were there from about 9.15pm to 11pm when it closed. It was very quiet at this time and the jacuzzi was just heavenly, if we could have had waiter bar service we'd have stayed there all night!!

Location wise this was not an issue for us, it isn't in the town centre, but about a 5 minute drive (if that)

The staff on reception were super friendly and helpful and were more than happy to recommend places to visit.

I had a super birthday and came back from my weekend at the Marriott feeling refreshed and revived and totally washed away the January blues. I would certainly return. Thank you

Room Tip: Spend a little extra and book the penthouse suite
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear GillE

Thank you so much for such a lovely review. I am truly delighted we were able to take such good care of you. We hold a daily meeting here at the hotel with a representative from each department in which we all review any guest feedback we have received. It will be a pleasure to read out your kind words and thank my team for helping to make your Birthday special.
Great tip about the flat screen TVs and I will look into this asap.
Please do contact me personally should you be returning so I can make sure your next stay with us is even better!
Mark Leyland