“Happy Birthday”

York Marriott Hotel
Ranked #35 of 47 Hotels in York
“Happy Birthday”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

my husband and I booked here to celebrate His birthday, Valentines day and my birthday. We arrived quite early to check in but this was no problem, we were booked in and sat in our room very quickly. The room was amazing and modern. The staff were faultless. The only thing we didn't enjoy was the meal we had on the friday night.

Room Tip: All rooms seem good
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Littlekittykat7
Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for choosing to celebrate so many special occasions with us!
It is always fantastic to receive positive praise about my hard working team and your comments really do mean a lot to us all. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal with us on the Friday night. If you have the chance to email me with any further details I know my Chef would really appreciate the feedback.
Thank you once again and please do let me know the next time you might be staying with us so I can say hello in person.
mark.leyland@marriott.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Sedgefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Just arrived back home after staying here last night. I can honestly say that we won't be rushing back. Despite check in being available from 3pm, we had to wait until 4.30pm until our room was ready. We weren't even offered a drink while we waited. There was no apology when the room was finally ready. Our room smelled of damp. It was clear that some attempt had been made to disguise the smell with cleaning products, but it was still evident. There was no bottled water provided in the room so we went to the shop and bought our own. We paid 170 for the room which I don't feel was value for money. There are better hotels in York costing a lot less. Very disappointing!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marie L
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear MarieL
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. Please allow me to apologise most sincerely for the issues you faced and the impact this had on your stay. It is unacceptable that your room was not ready nor that we did not offer you a drink whilst you waited. I will be sure to follow up on this today with my relevant department heads.
I am disappointed to read that you will not be choosing to stay with us again, however should you be returning to the area please do contact me directly so that I can take personal care of your reservation and ensure that we regain your faith in the service we strive to deliver.
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

"Booked as a long weekend break for our family, the trip turned out to be a really enjoyable visit to York. Situated about one and a half miles from the City Centre with bus stops right outside the hotel, we managed to get in and out of the City Centre with ease - even with a child's pushchair and a stack load of shopping via the bus. As usual with any Marriott Hotel that we've been to, the staff were spot on - really helpful, really professional. Nothing was too much trouble - especially in the breakfast restaurant where the children's requests kept the staff on their toes! The family room that we booked was spacious, comfortable and clean. Although there was a wedding reception being held on Friday night, our family room was at the opposite end of the hotel so we had relative peace and quiet when it was time to get the children to sleep - which is probably a good booking tip for anyone with small children thinking of visiting the hotel. Breakfast was good, with lots of choice even for the little ones, plus a chef on standby making omelettes amongst other things. The swimming pool area was ideal for the children, with a decent sized jacuzzi, small children's pool and small general pool - the facility was well used, well run and very clean. As a family, we wouldn't hesitate in going back."

Room Tip: Pay the upgrade for the rooms overlooking the race course if you want to be away from the main part...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear DavidV
Thank you for both your recent loyal custom and also for your fantastic feedback. I am delighted to read your comments and I will be sure to share these with my team today, your kind words will be very motivational to us all. I am very pleased you enjoyed your time with us and please do let me know should you be returning so I can make sure I am available to introduce myself in person and thank you once again.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Booked this hotel for me and my husband on February 14th for one night as a treat for Valentines day and my birthday. Could have stayed in cheaper hotels but seeing as it was for a special occasion I thought I would pay the £140.

Room average, cleanliness of the bathroom wasn't very good, in the corners were 'fluff balls' and hair which I had to remove myself with some tissue paper!!!!!

Nice walking distance from York Centre, plenty nice shops, bars, restaurants.

On return to the hotel at 10 pm I could best describe it as having a bedroom on the Magaluf Strip!!! There was a wedding reception downstairs and it might as well have been in our bedroom for the loudness of the music!!!!! I rang reception at 10.30 pm and asked what time the music would be going off and they said midnight. I accepted this as not wanting to sound a party pooper I thought I could endure another hour and a half! I was wrong!!! The music seemed to get louder and louder, it was like being in a night club!!! I again rang reception who offered me to swap rooms! Oh yeah just what I want at 11pm to pack and unpack my belongings and move rooms!!! I think the sensible solution would be is to put all wedding guests above the 'disco' - not people wanting to come away for a total chill out/relaxation!! The reception did say they would ask them to turn the music down..... This didn't happen!

My advice to anybody on checking in, ask if there is a party in the hotel and if they offer you room 206 don't take it!!!

On check out I mentioned it to the receptionist who went into 'robot' mode, apologising for the noise and said they usually put wedding guests on the 1st and 2nd floor, guess I was unlucky being put in that room then!!!

I wish now I had saved my £140 and stayed in the Travel Lodge in the centre of the City, couldn't have been any noisier !!

So deflated and disappointed!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask if there is a disco downstairs, if there is don't accept 206!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Wendy M
Dear WendyM
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I am very sorry that these issues impacted your stay with us and whilst I am pleased my colleagues tried to resolve your concerns by offering an alternative room, I fully understand due to the time of night your reluctance to move. Please rest assured I will be reviewing these issues fully with my team and I thank you once again for your constructive feedback. Should you be returning to the area please do contact me directly so I may try and regain your loyalty.
sheffield
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Ideal location, nice and relaxing, friendly helpful staff. The room was ready even though we arrived early.

Bed was sooooo comfy with 4 very comfy pillows. Don't think I've had such a comfy bed! Would definitely stay again.

The only down side was the leisure club is a bit tired looking and the pool wasn't very warm.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear mandsSheffield
Thank you for your recent loyal custom and also for taking the time to post this review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I will be sure to follow up on your comments about the Leisure Club and pool temperature. I am pleased you found the beds so comfy as we pride ourselves on these. I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back soon and many thanks once again.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed for just one night in Feb 2014. Room 2 double beds, very comfortable, plenty room for the 3 of us. Plenty towels, bathroom clean with complimentary shower gel etc. Staff friendly & helpful. Breakfast very nice the next morning. Would definitely stay again. We arrived back at the hotel on the Saturday night in a very bad rain storm & we were all soaked through, the door staff went & brought us all warm dry towels, very much appreciated. Didn't managed to use the pool.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel has lovely views over York Racecourse.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SAR65
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear SAR65
Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to provide this feedback. I am delighted we were able to look after you so well and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will be sure to thank my colleagues for providing towels as you mention in your review, as it is little touches such as this that I have found can make all the difference.
Please do drop me a note when you might next me staying so I can say hello in person and hopefully the weather will be a little kinder!
Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed her for 1 night recentley and loved it! - Very tempted to stay longer. We stay at York alot and normally go to a basic hotel but thought we would treat ourselves, what a difference! We got a hotel at a deal but it was definatley worth the money we payed. The staff were all lovely very nice girl on reception who let us check in a little earlier than we were meant to. Our room was a very large room, massive bed, lovely view of the racecourse, massive tv & the bathroom was just as big and looked & smelled very clean.
We used the spa on our stay and have never being so relaxed - we were a little worried the memebers might not like us using the spa but everybody was so friendly, with a pool, large jaquzi, steam room and sauna, & plently of sunbeds for relaxing!
Agian all the staff very helpful, & let us stay in the spa the next morning after weve checked out - much appreiciated. We will be using this hotel agian no doubt about it - we cant go back to the budget hotel now after experiencing this amazing hotel! Would definatley recommend!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Chloe525
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback and also for your kind words. This will be incredibly motivational for my team.
Please do let me know when you plan on returning so I can thank you in person.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.