“Fantastic Food”

Ranked #34 of 46 Hotels in York
Studley, Warwickshire UK
“Fantastic Food”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Visited the restaurant on Sunday evening 27/4/14 having booked a table for three, earlier in the day. We were presented with three separate menus to make our selection. We all decided to try different starters, mains and desserts to enable us to sample a varied selection of everything that was available. The food was delivered promptly, beautifully presented and most importantly tasted beyond all our expectations. We were all very surprised at the quality of the food and the thought and expertise that had gone into its preparation. I would definitely recommend this restaurant .

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Blue2267
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Blue2267
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am delighted you enjoyed your meal with us and my Chef and his Brigade will find your comments incredibly motivational.
A lot of work goes in Chefs menu choices with each member of his team submitting dishes on a monthly basis for consideration so it is great to hear they are well received. We are just finalising Mays menus and having had a sneak preview (and taste!) I am sure we will have some very happy diners!
I hope we can welcome you back soon and thank you again for your kind words.
Mark Leyland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Camrose, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Beautiful city, lovely shopping. Hotel is 5 min drive to the shops. The room we had was huge, with a king bed, and massive bathroom. All updated and warm. Overlooked the horse track to the side. Restaurant in hotel was very good with a delicious breakfast included with the room.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ivanhoe
MarkLeylandGM, Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Ivanhoe
Thank you for your fantastic feedback. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to read out your kind comments in our daily meeting and thank my colleagues for looking after you.
We are very fortunate to live and work in such a beautiful city and I hope we can welcome you back soon so you can explore it further.
Mark Leyland.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I booked the Marriott for my boyfriends birthday and booked the Marriott because I expected a good experience but that wasn't to be. When I read the reviews I became nervous but puts my doubts to one side, but I should have went with my gut feeling. The pictures on the website for the hotel make it look like it's a moderne luxury hotel but be aware it's not like that the hotel needs up dating and the rooms are basic, the room looked onto the car park we paid £240 for 2 nights and don't feel I got any value for money I could have got a travel lodge for that!! On two occasions I found what looked like ants in the bathroom this to me is disgusting. When checking out we were not asked if we enjoyed our stay which I find really disappointing. I would not recommend this hotel I feel they are trying to sell a hotel that's run down and needing attention!!!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank nic25kev
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Nic25Kev
Thank you for your feedback and please accept my most sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
To enable me to investigate further please could I ask for you to email me your reservation details so I can ensure the issues you have raised are fully addressed.
Walkden, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night for my mothers birthday as a bit of a treat.
As soon as we came through the door we were greeted by the reception staff who were more than happy to accomodate us. Special thanks has to go to Verity from the front desk who was very welcoming and even arranged a happy birthday plate to be sentnto the room without even being asked!
The rooms are standard Marriott which were lovely if a little dated but didnt stop me getting a good nights sleep.
I found the bar staff to be a bit casual with some a lot better than others. I even saw one staff member answer his phone whilst serving!
However this didnt deter from a lovely stay and was capped off with the friendly waitresses during breakfast.
would stay again

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear AdamR
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I really am very grateful for your kind words and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.
I will be sure to thank Verity for taking such god care of you and I will also look into your comments about my bar team.
I hope we can welcome you back soon.
Mark Leyland.
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

we have just stayed as a family of four, staying in a family room as a surprise birthday treat from my husband. we had requested early check in but on arrival the reception staff advised the hotel had been fully booked the night before and they would do there best to have the room ready before 3pm but could not guarantee this they were very friendly and gave us plenty of advise about heading into town for the day so by the time we returned it was around 5pm and we were promptly checked in and directed to our room. they had given us their largest family room with it being my birthday and my goodness was it big and extremely comfortable. we made use of the pool facilities after we had un packed and they were really good too our little boy aged 4 loved it and didn't want to get out meaning by the time we got back to our room it was nearly 8pm so we ended up having our evening meal in the room which again was fantastic service and the food was delicious .
the only slight issue we had was that we had requested our breakfast in the room for 9:30/9:45 however it didn't turn up and we had to ring reception to get it sent up
this however hasn't put us off staying here again in fact we are hoping to come back for our wedding anniversary the first weekend in may
so thankyou to all the staff for their help and good service and we will hopefully see you again soon

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lottieandste2010
Dear LottieandSte2010
Many thanks for your fantastic review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your holiday with us. I will be sure to thank my colleagues for taking good care of you.
I am also delighted you will be returning to us for your anniversary. Please feel free to drop me a note with your confirmation details so I can ensure we take extra special care for you and so I can introduce myself in person.
Thank you again for your kind words.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed our stay in the Marriott. The hotel was very well set out and very trendy. The pool and spa facilities were the best thing about the visit - all very good at no extra cost. The room was lovely and very spacious and the bed was comfy. Only problem we had with the room was myself and my girlfriend were very hot and became very thirsty and needed a glass of cold water to cool us but the cold water tap wasn't cold at all. Another problem we had was I booked online and it said when I booked it that breakfast would be included but when I checked in they said breakfast would be an extra 15 pound each - which I didn't pay as could eat somewhere near by for much cheaper. Didn't interact much with staff but were quite friendly when checking in and out of the hotel. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be returning to the Marriott next time we visit York.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear DanT2110
Many thanks for your review and also for your loyal custom. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.
If you have the chance please could you drop me an email with your reservation details so I can look into the issues you faced with the temperature of your bedroom and the cold water. I will also review the breakfast query you mention. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience these issues caused.
I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back soon and thanks again for the great feedback.
nottinghamshire
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights here as part of a group booking as my husband was taking part in a bowls competition. On arrival our room wasn't ready, although some of the group's were. I would have thought that knowing they had a large booking coming in which had been booked a year ahead that they could have ensured all rooms were ready at the same time, this left some of us with only 15 mins to check in and get ready for a group meal in the evening. Reception staff were not that friendly either towards us. Our room overlooked the front of the hotel, not a great view but I have to say it wasn't noisy either to say it was on the main road. The room itself was very small and seemed cluttered with furniture, so much so that when I got out of bed I hit my leg on the bedside table which left me with a huge bruise and scrape on my leg. For the size of the room it didn't need the armchair or occasional table. It was also over powered by the large free standing wardrobe, as I say just my opinion but very very cluttered. Our friends were in a higher floor room overlooking the race course and this was a much better sized room. Although I have to say we could have held a party in our bathroom as it was massive and very chic, think this must has been updated recently. For a large chain hotel I think that they could provide free internet access in all rooms, we later in the week stayed in a B&B and got free access there. Breakfast was nothing to write home about, average hotel food, a bit slow to top things up and you seem to have to ask all the time for this to happen. Personally I found the scrambled egg to have a bad after taste and the fried egg wasn't cooked fully enough for me, but this is my personal preference. The hotel was very busy and didn't seem to be able to cope with the amount of people at breakfast time. We ate 2 nights in the hotel and these were organised meals for our group only. The food overall was good to say they were mass producing, I do however feel that on our first night they ran out of some of the food and found this strange knowing they were catering for a large group. All in all I enjoyed my stay at the Marriott, a few niggles, but this is my personal opinion. Would I stay here again - well yes as if my husband qualifies for next years competition we are hopefully returning with the group but I would ask for a room that is overlooking the race course or gardens, would I return if I was travelling independently - possibly not as I know there are better B&B's out there that give better service. Positive points to the hotel are the closeness to the city centre and the free car parking. It also has a lovely outlook over the race course. It has a good working fridge for those wanting to keep drinks chilled, has plenty of storage, a safe and not only a trouser press but also an iron and ironing board. The tea/coffee facilities were plentiful and plenty of literature to help you plan your stay in and around York. One recommendation to management would be to perhaps offer customers a choice of pillows (hard or soft) like another well known chain does as I prefer a softer pillow and found the ones in the room a little hard.

Room Tip: ask for a room that over looks the race course