“Service lacking”

Ranked #34 of 46 Hotels in York
L'Orignal, Canada
“Service lacking”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We arrived with a group and the reception was at 6:30 pm. The hotel was not prepared, the dinner service slow, we were never offered coffee or tea, the wait staff never came to find out if we needed anything, the dinner included two drinks - people had to go and help themselves. The rooms were of average quality nothing special. We did not have a view but it was only for one night. I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Lactancia
Thank you for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies for the issues that impacted your stay. I will be sure to review this with my team this week and also with your tour manager to ascertain the cause of the delay with dinner.
I hope you enjoyed the remainder of your holiday and I hope we can welcome you back in the future to create a more positive lasting impression.
Mark Leyland.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Excellent hotel on the York Racecourse. Food good choice and quality. Rooms clean and modern with some having views over the famous horse racing course. All the facilities of York are but a 10 minute walk away. Staff very helpful. Large car park to the front of the establishment.

Room Tip: Great rooms with double beds and a fine array of free toiletries
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Jabbtrad
Thank you for your fantastic feedback. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to post this review.
I hope we can welcome you back soon.
UK
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

We spent a very enjoyable three nights in this hotel and found the service from all staff to be faultless.

We frequented the bar late afternoon on our return from our day exploring some of what North Yorks has to offer and found the bar staff to be very welcoming and chatty. The only issue here was that there was an ongoing issue with the pumps at the bar, so Stella was off the menu for the hubby!

We ate in the hotel restaurant for breakfast every morning and found the food to be fresh, plentiful and of a good temperature.

We dined in the restaurant on the Sunday evening. Service was prompt and efficient and the good was well presented and delicious.

Good leisure facilities, although do be careful in the hot tub - I cut my shin quite badly going from the normal tiled step onto the last metal step and slipping! Maybe it was that 4pm glass of Savingnon Blanc!!!

All in all a lovely wedding anniversary weekend in a well appointed room with a view of the racecourse. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear GemmaB
Thank you for such a fantastic review. I am delighted we were able to take good care of you to help celebrate your anniversary.
I will be sure to read your kind comments out to my team today and thank them for looking after you.
I will also ensure we follow up on your feedback about the steps in the spa to make sure there are no further issues. Thank you for letting me know about this.
I hope we can welcome you back soon and thank you for all your loyal custom.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Me and my Girlfriend booked here for our anniversary on the 17th May and we was unfortunatley let down. The hotel itself is nice, staff were pleasant and helpful, breakfast was actually pretty good. The location was nice and just slightly out of the way. However the bad things, on the hottest day of the year the Air conditioning were down and as we booked the Grandstand room at £235 per night its totally unnaccaptable even with the desk fan they provided us which did nothing at all. Furthermore we were in room 927, and at 3:10am a group above us must have come in and were shouting and screaming all night it sounded like a party above us so in all we both had a dreadful sleep. The views were pretty good, but as you expect they always look much better on the pictures, and the Leisure facilities were much smaller than we anticipated it was impossible to have a swim in a pool so crowded and small. I feel for people looking to book theres much better value for money elsewhere in York, im sure we will return to York but not to this hotel.

1 Thank Quinnaay
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Quinnaay
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. As I mentioned in my email to you we did indeed suffer a critical breakdown of our main hotel chiller last week and despite our best efforts we were not able to effect a repair. I am pleased to report that a replacement unit has been delivered today, however I am of course very disappointed to learn of the discomfort you incurred. I am also very sorry that guests in the room above you further disturbed your sleep.
I hope we can welcome you back soon to demonstrate that these were isolated issues and hopefully reaffirm your faith in the service we strive to deliver.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel Friday - Sunday for a weekend break with friends. On arrival we were allocated 2 of the rooms wrongly. We went to reception where in no time the problem was sorted by a friendly and helpful young lady. Whilst trying to move to the correct rooms a member of the housekeeping staff came and helped us to make the move, carrying luggage for us and showing the way to the new rooms. The suites were very roomy, a lovely big bed with super soft pillows, and a separate lounge. We had the luxury of 2 televisions, great as it was FA cup weekend! We had chance to sit outside as the weather was glorious and we also made use of the pool and steam rooms in the leisure club. The hotel is in a lovely location, overlooking York racecourse. On the downside, the hotel could do with a lick of paint, both inside and out. The screen in reception shows Marriott hotels, worldwide, which all look lovely, so come on Marriott, bring the decor in this one up to scratch. It is very clean and comfortable, but many areas e.g. doorways, are a bit bashed and the decor is tired and dated.

Room Tip: The suites have a view of the racecourse and gardens.
Dear Linda T
Many thanks for taking the time to post this review and I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Our maintenance team is currently in the process of refreshing our internal decoration with a focus on our bedroom corridors so I am sure we will see improvements in this respect very soon.
Thank you again for your feedback and your loyal custom.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

From the time of our arrival to the time of our departure the staff could not do enough for us. Everyone had a smile and a word for everyone from the front staff to the housekeepers. I would not hestitate to stay at this hotel again when visiting York.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Beth G
What a fantastic review. Thank you so very much for your kind feedback. This will be really motivational to my team.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and do hope we can welcome you back soon.
Northumberland
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed here on a Sunday evening. The hotel is very well presented and close to town with lots of parking. Drinks are a little over priced with a large glass of wine being £10. The hotel is an easy walk into town, just over a mile or you can get a bus from outside. Breakfast was nice with efficient service. I would stay hear again just wouldn't drink wine in the bar. You get free use of the leisure facilities with a nice pool to relax in. There is also a nice outdoor seating area which looks over the race course

Room Tip: The rooms to the rear of the building overlook the race course
1 Thank Kevnorth
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Kevnorth
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. I have asked my Restaurant and Bars Manager to look into your comments regarding the pricing of wine.
I hope we can welcome you back soon.