“Very average”

Ranked #35 of 46 Hotels in York
Melbourne, Australia
“Very average”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here for 1 night, his is not a Marriott if you have stayed in this hotel chain in Asia or Australia. The fridge did not work, was not even a fridge - no one helped us with our enormous cases and we had kids. The wifi costs £15 per 24hrs and only works on 1 device. The bathroom was dirty, the movie channel did not work. The hotel is not walking distance to the city centre. The only good points are the breakfast is very nice and good coffee, the gym is also larger than expected.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Annie S
Thank you for your recent loyal custom and also for taking the time to provide this feedback. I am very sorry to hear of the challenges you faced as this is not representative of the service we strive to deliver. I will be sure to look into the points you have raised. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our breakfasts and leisure facilities.
Mark Leyland.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed here recently on our tour of the UK and enjoyed staying here.We stayed 2 nights and took the bus from across the road when going into town,which was very convenient.We had one meal in the restaurant which also was very good.My only problem was we had problems connecting to the free WiFi in our room.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Rob B
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am very glad you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for your kind words.
I will be sure to look into the challenges you faced with the Wi-Fi and ensure this has been fully resolved.
I hope you enjoy the remainder of your time in the UK and that we can welcome you back soon.
York
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here the night before a wedding with the bride and my fellow bridesmaids. They gave us big rooms all next to each other and a bottle of champagne waiting for us! Bar staff were excellent and The bar food we had was lovely. The next day our limo was late arriving and Jeanette and Verity were so helpful in helping us contact the company. Thank you for a unforgettable stay.

Stayed June 2014
Dear Nattyb87
Thank you for such a lovely review. I am delighted we were able to take such good care of you and I will be sure to thank Jeanette and Verity especially. I hope it was a lovely wedding and that we can welcome you back soon.
Thank you again for taking the time to provide this feedback.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed 3 nights in the garden level. The room was perfect for us as we wanted a quiet room. We weren't bothered by little view as we were out most of the 3 days sightseeing. Weather excellent!! Hotel is in a great position as we could take the bus (bus stops nearby) and leave the car behind without the hassle of driving into the city. Breakfast was fairly good. It is a shame that the toaster always burn the slices of bread at the edges. We enjoyed our dinner at the Chase & Bar Grill. All in all, a lovely hotel with good friendly service. We hope to come back to stay and visit this beautiful city again, and walk the rest of the walls.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear YellowSaffron
Many thanks for taking the time to provide such fantastic feedback. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to read out your comments to my colleagues today in our morning meeting and thank them for creating us a positive impression. Thank you also for the feedback on the toaster – I will make sure this is rectified.
I do hope we can welcome you back soon.
nigeria
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Just back today after 3 nights staying at this Hotel. Staff were really nice and helpful, room clean but tired really needs to be upgraded, the lift carpet was worn and dirty also the hall carpets were very dated. Breakfast was well worth the money and the dining staff and bar staff were great. Food over priced for what you got. Sat outside a few times as weather was good, decking needs painted and the outside a bit dirty, gardens could be better. Hard to find the cushions for the seats which were really uncomfortable. Don't think I would stay at this hotel again, there are some really nice ones for the same price and less which look better. Overall all though enjoyed my stay

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear LornaQ
Many thanks for sharing your feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I will be sure to follow up on your comments with my colleagues today.
I am really pleased to read how helpful and nice you found my team members. This is always very heartening to learn as we place a huge focus and take great pride in this.
I do hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future.
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Lovely room with really comfortable bed. Would have liked a better shower but ok. Staff really lovely, but there were problems with computer systems when I checked in, this seemed to spill over to the bar when we ordered food in the evening where things were a bit chaotic. However, overall quality was good, consistent with the standard you'd expect of a Marriott Hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear JenK297
Thank you for your review and feedback. It is always lovely to receive such positive comments about my colleagues and I will be sure to thank them for looking after you. We did indeed have a computer outage as you mention during your check in. Luckily such events are very rare however my management team have already met to discuss how we might work around this more effectively should it occur again. I am very sorry for the impact this had.
I do hope we can welcome you back soon and thank you again for taking the time to provide this review.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just returned from my weekend break at this hotel. This is what I though of it :
Liked:
* really confortable beds
*tea, coffee and biscuits in the room
* nice bar stuff and reception stuff
* breakfast
*nice garden
* pool , sauna, steam room and sunbed.

Disliked:
* Price - paid 170£ for two nights. I have stayed at much more exciting and beautiful places for less of the price. This is a decent hotel but not worth such big money.
* Location - not walking distance to the town so its just extra hassle -getting a cab or a bus. Also extra money. around 7£ to the centre. or £2 by bus
* Staff at the SPA. the young girl was very unhelpful and looked too bored to care about the potential costumers. She was not very keen to provide any information about the spa services or products sold there. We were keep getting 1 word answers so didnt bother booking anything.
*Staff at the pool .A young guy working at the pool was being very cheeky and was keep staring at the girls , watching us at the swimming pool. we found him very unpleasant and unprofessional.
*No wifi in the room. Ridiculous bearing in mind that hotel charges £170 for two nights!
* view to carpark

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear AisteM
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback and indeed for your loyal custom. I will be sure to read out your comments to my colleagues today in our morning meeting and thank my bar and reception team for looking after you. I will also be following up on your feedback about the Spa and Leisure teams as we very rarely receive comments such as this and I will be sure we act upon this immediately. My sincere apologies for the dissatisfaction you incurred.
Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.