“Excellent all the way”

York Marriott Hotel
Ranked #34 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We have had two stays this month at York Marriott. Once in a grandstand room and once in the penthouse suite. Plenty of room in both rooms and the terraces and views overlooking the racecourse are great. Penthouse is certainly the room, really really nice. Bed so comfy, lots of space and really clean.
Staff are great and food is excellent. The leisure facilities are really nice and it is just an all round great hotel for business or pleasure...... Only comment would be issues with answering for room service. On our first occasion we never did get through and the second trip it took a few attempts.
Other than that a great hotel and will certainly return.....

Room Tip: Pick a penthouse suite......
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Christian
Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with our Tripadvisor community. I am delighted you have enjoyed your recent stays with us so much and thank you for all your loyal custom. I will be sure to review with Andy, my Restaurant & Bar Manager, your feedback regarding contacting our room service colleagues and thank you for highlighting this.
Please do ask for me the next time you are visiting so I can say hello and thank you in person.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had a room in what we called the dungeon area, floor was minus one (-1), and our average room had a good view of the car park. The bed was like sleeping in a hammock. Our friends had a great room looking at gardens and it was a fantastic size with a king size bed. I refer this hotel to being like a ship as it is a very long walk to the rooms and there is only one way in and out, through reception.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a garden facing room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear JayneJ
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. Whilst I am delighted your friends enjoyed their room and views I am very sorry that you were not as pleased with your own. Our Superior rooms all feature King sized beds and views of our gardens whilst our Grandstand rooms look out on to the racecourse. I will be sure to ask my Executive Housekeeper to review your comments about your bed further.
I do hope we can welcome you back soon and thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Have just returned from a 2 night stay whilst going to the races. Hotel is in an excellent position for these in being a 5 minute walk through the hotel grounds, instead of a good 20 minute walk via the main road. Rooms were clean and adequate but discovered the 2 air con units in the room did not work properly, the fact a fan was also provided was a clue here! As expected, this hotel was popular with race goers, what we didn't expect was the level of rowdy ness this brought with certain guests, which was far too easily tolerated by the hotel staff resulting in a fight taking place on the lawn, followed by loutish behaviour in the bar afterwards and the following morning during breakfast, seemingly promoted by bar staff continuing to serve them alcohol. The breakfast experience was more akin to a canteen with staff unable to cope and clear the tables with diners unable to get service. On a plus, parking here is good and without rowdy guests, drinks on the terrace and lawn would, I image, be a pleasant experience.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alliecats
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Alliecats
Many thanks for your feedback and I hope you enjoyed your time at the races. I am sorry to hear of the challenges you faced and I will be sure to investigate these further today.
We are very proud of our location and grounds and I do hope you will be returning in the future to make further use of these.
Thank you again for your loyal custom and for taking the time to provide this feedback.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I have to preface this review by saying I was part of a 30 person tour group that was booked into this hotel by the tour company. So I’m not sure of the price per room, but I want to share what I experienced and know about this place. We stayed here one night, wish it could have been more. Very nice hotel and the grounds are superb. The only thing negative is it is not in easy walking distance of anything interesting, so you best have a vehicle. Other than that I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank washmont
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Washmont
Many thanks for your feedback and loyal custom. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind words about out hotel and grounds. I hope you enjoyed the remainder of your time in the UK and had a safe journey home.
I do hope we can welcome you back some time.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed here for one night to break up a long drive from end to end!

Lovely hotel, quite charming and old fashioned. Our room was superb, very big, spacious, very clean, air conditioning and lovely bathroom.

We did not have time to use the facilities but they looked great.

Free parking but no free wifi unless in public areas. This does frustrate me a little with hotel chains as think it should be included.

Had the breakfast buffet - mine was lovely but my veggie husband struggled a bit so in the end opted not to have anything and got something in town later. Think it was just due to it being a busy morning that things were running out quickly. The normal buffet carnage! Mine was lovely though.

All in all, a great hotel and would thoroughly recommend. It is outside of the town but this didnt bother us in slightest as we had the car. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Cornishgirl111
Many thanks for posting this review and also for choosing us to help break up your long journey. I hope you had a safe trip home.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I will be sure to pick up further on our vegetarian breakfast offering with my Executive Chef.
I do hope we can welcome you back soon and many thanks once again for taking the time to provide this feedback.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here for 1 night, his is not a Marriott if you have stayed in this hotel chain in Asia or Australia. The fridge did not work, was not even a fridge - no one helped us with our enormous cases and we had kids. The wifi costs £15 per 24hrs and only works on 1 device. The bathroom was dirty, the movie channel did not work. The hotel is not walking distance to the city centre. The only good points are the breakfast is very nice and good coffee, the gym is also larger than expected.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Annie S
Thank you for your recent loyal custom and also for taking the time to provide this feedback. I am very sorry to hear of the challenges you faced as this is not representative of the service we strive to deliver. I will be sure to look into the points you have raised. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our breakfasts and leisure facilities.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed here recently on our tour of the UK and enjoyed staying here.We stayed 2 nights and took the bus from across the road when going into town,which was very convenient.We had one meal in the restaurant which also was very good.My only problem was we had problems connecting to the free WiFi in our room.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Rob B
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am very glad you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for your kind words.
I will be sure to look into the challenges you faced with the Wi-Fi and ensure this has been fully resolved.
I hope you enjoy the remainder of your time in the UK and that we can welcome you back soon.