“A big disappointment”

Ranked #35 of 46 Hotels in York
Decatur, Georgia
“A big disappointment”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I have stayed at Marriotts all over the world, and this property simply does not live up to Marriott standards. The staff was friendly and helpful, but the hotel itself is showing its age: worn carpets in halls and rooms, scuffed up hallways, dated bathroom fixtures. There was no free wi-fi in our room. Overall, a sub-par offering for Marriott. I give it an "average" in comparison to hotels in general.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear AtlantaDoll
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is always heartening to learn how friendly and helpful our loyal guests find my colleagues. Just to let you know in case you were not aware we do provide complimentary Wi-Fi in our public areas including our restaurant and bar. I will be sure to pass your feedback on to my Property Manager with regards to the condition issues you noted as we have preventative maintenance programmes in place to address any such concerns.
Thank you again for taking the time to provide this feedback and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Mark Leyland.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The view from our room (218) over the racecourse and pretty hotel gardens was the best bit about this hotel. Although our room had a balcony, we didn't want to sit on it because it was right next to a very noisy generator or something else making a racket all day and night! The hoover must be broken because the carpet in the entrance lobby and in the lift was filthy the whole time we were there (3 nights). Also there for the 3 full nights was the long dark hair on the bathroom floor - not ours - my husband is grey and I am blonde! We also had to ask them 2 days running to fix the bedside lamp on my husband's side of the bed. On the plus side, we had breakfast in our room each morning, and it was very punctual. Also, my husband liked the gym, and the pool looked good. Overall, the interior was depressing and dirty, and I wouldn't rush back.

Room Tip: Avoid room 218 if you want to sit on the balcony!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Gill

Thank you for your recent review. I am very sorry to hear of the issues you faced and I will be sure to address these today and conducted the necessary training with my team members.
I am glad you liked the gardens and your husband enjoyed using the gym. Should you be returning please do consider booking one of our Grandstand or Penthouse rooms as these have amazing views over the racecourse.
Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope we can welcome you back soon.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

had a 1 night stay at the Marriott as a treat from my husband. The room was lovely, all clean. Bed massive and a view over the race course. Large shower and bath, water hot.
Swimming pool was a nice extra. All staff were polite. Breakfast-plenty to choose from. York is a brilliant place.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking racecourse lovely and had a balcony to sit out on.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Sue
Many thanks for taking the time to post this review. We all agree that York is a brilliant place and I am so pleased you enjoyed your time in our wonderful city.
Thank you for your kind words which I will be sure to pass on to my hard working colleagues. I do hope we can welcome you back soon and thank you for all your loyal custom.
Mark Leyland
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Wasn't up to Marriott standards in the US but was an ok place to stay for a couple nights. Evrything was clean and the pool was very welcoming.
The staff was friendly and helpful. but don't let them tell you that you can walk to the Ministry. I guess you could but I couldn't, that woulda been all of my walking for the day!!

1 Thank Captmark20
Dear Captmark20
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is very heartening to learn how friendly and helpful you found my colleagues. I will be sure to share your feedback in our daily meeting.
Many people do like the walk along the racecourse and walls to the Minster but we are very fortunate to also have a great bus service which stops just outside the hotel.
I hope you had a safe journey home and that we can welcome you back soon.
inverness
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed here for three nights, the hotel is clean and spacious, the staff are courteous and helpful. We ate in the restaurant on one evening and the food was excellent. The gardens are well kept and pleasant to sit out in.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear Ellie
Thank you for taking the time to post this review and also for your great feedback.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and it will be my pleasure to share your comments with my hard working colleagues.
I do hope we can welcome you back soon and thanks once again.
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Spent the last 2 weeks in York on business, great hotel, large bedroom, great restaurant, wonderful food, great views of the racecourse, 15 minute walk into thec centre of York, great city to explore. The hotel staff very friendly, great leisure complex, certainly stay again the next time I'm in York.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Ian
Many thanks for your kind words and indeed your loyal custom. It is great to hear you had a good couple of weeks with us whilst on business.
I will be sure to share your positive feedback with my team and please do ask for me the next time you are with us so I can thank you in person.
Many thanks once again.
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Had three nights at this really good hotel on a visit to York from Scotland. A smiling receptionist greeted us, our room was much nicer than we expected - a great view across the race course and a balcony big enough to sit on. ALL the staff - without exception - were helpful, charming and efficient. We have several meals, all of which were very tasty and the breakfast must score a ten out of ten. Would really recommend this hotel to anyone visiting York.

Room Tip: Room 66 is lovely and spacious - a long walk through a corridor but worth it when you get there. Oth...
2 Thank Polly B
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Polly
Thank you for such a fantastic review. My colleagues and I are all absolutely delighted that we were able to create such a good impression and that you enjoyed your time with us.
The room you occupied is one of my personal favourites as the views really are fantastic.
I do hope we can welcome you back soon and many thanks once again for taking the time to provide this feedback, it is incredibly motivational for all my team when we received such praise.