York Marriott Hotel
US$159
US$147
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Express York(York)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$101
Hotels.com
Hilton York(York)
US$177
US$161
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Holiday Inn York(York)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$172
US$145
Travelocity
2,066 results
All reviewsrace coursegrandstand roomleisure clubbalcony overlookingleisure facilitiesrace trackcity centrethe penthousesteam room and saunatwo double bedsreception stafflovely hotelbuffet stylelarge roombus stopfamily roomfree parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I have a dream. It is of staying in the York Marriott and not being freezing or boiling. It was 20C and overcast when I was staying there and my room was still uncomfortably hot, even with the "aircon" on lowest temp.

Otherwise room was clean. Breakfast was OK but nothing special.

Overall it's ok and functional, but they really, really need to sort out the in room temp.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sarahburton30260
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Sarah
Many thanks for your feedback and your continued loyal custom. I am very sorry to hear of the challenges you faced with our air conditioning on your recent stay. Just last month we invested over £70,000 on a new chiller to provide cooled air to all our rooms so I am very disappointed to hear this has not been effective in the bedroom you occupied. I will ensure our engineers follow up on this immediately and that any fault is rectified. My sincere apologies for any discomfort this caused.
Thank you once again for drawing my attention to this matter and I do hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband and I have just stayed for a weekend break here. My husband stays in Marriott hotels for work and we have lots of weekends away in Marriott hotels but this was our first time here. We wanted to be near York centre and this hotel is in a pretty good location. We walked from the station taking us about 25 minutes but got a taxi back into the shopping area which cost about £6 after leaving our bags. There is also a decent bus service runs into York centre outside the hotel, number 4.
Check in was very smooth, Verity was very nice and friendly. Our room was one of two with a balcony overlooking a gorgeous garden area with a seating area and tennis court. Room very clean and had everything in you would expect, iron, hairdryer and toiletries etc. Very comfortable bed and pillows too. Hotel does have an old fashioned feel though upstairs and in the bedrooms. The outside of the hotel could do with a little brightening up too, but the grounds are lovely.
The bar area is a decent size and there is a very nice decking area out the back to sit in the sun. There were weddings on both days we were there so the hotel was busy. They have a small pool and spa area but we didn't have time to try it but it looked nice.
The bar was very busy both nights but the bar staff especially Jake and Shaun were great keeping everyone served and happy.
The food was very nice too. We had a great breakfast and the choice was ample. We also ate in the restaurant our first night and although the service was a little slow the food was good. Lunch and sandwich off the bar menu were nice too. Service good at lunchtime too, served by Maria, who was very friendly.
We will definitely return here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JudithtNorthEastUK
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Judith
Many thanks for your great review. I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for all your loyalty to our company.
It will be my pleasure to thank Verity, Jake, Shaun and Maria for looking after you so well.
I am very pleased you will be returning and please do ask for me when you are next staying so I can say hello in person.
Thank you once again for taking the time to provide this feedback.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We had booked a Grandstand room as the weather had been great and this room type has an outdoor area, patio or balcony. We had a balcony and a superb view across the Knavesmire. The room was bright and light with excellent air conditioning. Bathroom had both a double shower and a bath and was a good size with plenty of room for toiletries and towels. Room was spacious and plenty of storage space and very clean. Towels were replaced in the evening as required as well as in the morning. Bar and restaurant were bright but a little warm....perhaps better air conditioning is required for the really hot humid days we have been having. The only other complaint is the disgusting language used by the guests in one of the rooms below us, but that is not the hotels fault. All in all, a great stay in a great hotel with pleasant and helpful staff. Would recommend.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Ang1968ela
Thank you so much for such a great review. I am so pleased you booked one of our Grandstand rooms as these really are fantastic and have great views. I am glad you were able to enjoy the hotel and our wonderful city in such beautiful weather.
I do hope we can welcome you back soon and many thanks once again.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We had a 3 day break in York staying at the Marriott. Whilst the hotel is situated by the racecourse, only certain rooms look over the course. We checked in to find our booking was only RO, but fortunately I took along the booking confirmation which said breakfast was included. Breakfast was very good, good range of food, nothing was too much for the staff. Had dinner in the hotel for one evening, not a fantastic variety, luckily the walk to York is only abt 20mins, there is a number 4 bus which runs every 20 mins. However I have to agree with other travellers the cost of wifi is expensive!! Air conditioning did not work very well, if at all. We expected a fridge in our room as our booking stated, there was no fridge only a chiller as we were told at reception. Plenty of dust in this area!! Not much good on hot days to keep fruit fresh!! It didn't work anyway!! Overall a nice hotel but could definitely do with a spruce up. York is not far from Scarborough nor Whitby where you can buy the famous Whitby Jet.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Linda
Many thanks for your feedback and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to follow up on the cleanliness issue you noted and I am not sure if you are aware but we do offer complimentary Wi-Fi in all our public areas should you be returning again.
Thank you once again for taking the time to post this review and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Booked via Expedia, what a mistake.
Firstly, it isn't close to York Minster as their description has it. To me, 'close to' is 5 to 10 minute walk, this place is 36 minutes according to Google.
Secondly, confusion at check in, Expedia emailed me one version of my booking and the hotel a different version. Luckily, the girl on Reception amended the booking based on the email Expedia sent to me. It turns out Expedia do this a lot, so there was little fuss made by the hotel. Next time, I won't be using Expedia.

Onto the hotel. It's starting to look like it needs some refurbishment. Pool was very pleasant however the gym equipment was rather 1960's.
Rooms are spacious but dated looking too. Beds were very comfortable.
Breakfast. Well it says it is served till 11am. So you'd expect the buffet to be open till 11:15 at the earliest. At 10:59 the buffet breakfast was already missing the mushrooms, eggs and a few other items. When we pointed out that most places give you 30 minutes after last orders, we were met with blank stares and the occasional whimper of 'but we need to put out a spread for later'. A few moments later and the manager of the restaurant turned up. One ear bashing later and the breakfast items started to reappear. This is where the customer focus really went into five star treatment. Auntie Di as we will forever call the wonderful lady in charge really worked her charm. Nothing was too much trouble it seemed. She turned our minds around on the hotel. It may be nowhere near the centre of York (as Expedia claim), it not be very modern. Yes, it does have a nice pool area. But the thing that makes this hotel, is the staff. Especially our wonderful Auntie Di.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear JaceLondon
Thank you so much for taking the time to post this review. “Auntie Di”! will be delighted to hear of your kind words and it will be my pleasure to thank her most sincerely for looking after you so well. She really is a fantastic asset to our team and works tirelessly to ensure everyone has a great stay.
I am sorry to read of the challenges you faced on booking and please rest assured I will follow this up with Expedia personally.
I very much hope we can welcome you back soon and thank you once again for both your loyal custom and also for providing this feedback.