“noisy, hot, tired”

York Marriott Hotel
Ranked #33 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Booked in for one night £210 for B&B. The decor was tired - maybe due for a refurb? The window was narrow and high up but at least we could see the Minster. Arriving back after evening in York, the noise from the wedding disco even on the third floor was very intrusive. I expect this is the case every weekend, avoid any room at the same end of the hotel as the disco room. The room was far too hot, but if we had been staying longer we might have worked out the controls. Bed very comfy. Wi-fi available in rooms but at a price. These days itshould be free. Breakfast only adequate and cooked items cold.. The bus service into York on the number 4 bus was excellent

Room Tip: Avoid the disco end,
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DurhamMadcat
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear DurhamMadcat
Thank you for taking the time to post this review and indeed for your recent loyal custom. I am very sorry for the noise issues you encountered and also that the room you occupied was too hot. All our rooms have air-conditioning so I will check with my property manager today to ensure there are no further issues.
I do hope we can welcome you back in the future and thank you once again for providing this feedback.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We celebrated our daughters wedding at the York Marriott on Friday 15th August 2014. What an amazing day. The hotel staff were fantastic and couldn't do enough for us. The food and rooms were all to a very high standard. A special mention to Vicki on Reception and most of all to Steve our Master of Ceremonies who was amazing making the day run so smoothly and without a single hitch. I would highly recommend the hotel for a wedding venue.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Jayne
Thank you so much for your fantastic feedback. I am delighted you and your family enjoyed your time with us and many congratulations to your daughter and son in law. We always feel very privileged to be able to play a part in such an important occasion and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to Vicky and Steve.
I do hope we can welcome you back soon and many thanks once again.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

My wife and I checked into this hotel today.we agreed at 12 noon check in on booking but had to wait until after 3.00 to get a room.the first room 106 was above a wedding function and was like being at the bride and grooms side it was so loud.we were moved to an inferior quality room 145 with inadequate acoustic separation so we could here the fighting gypsies next door.more complaints at reception were confronted with comments like....we have to sell all the rooms.that is the best we have....no upgrade available as we are full .we offered to pay for a better room from the outset.at£209 a night reduced to £159 because of the poorer room it is just not acceptable.we now have a crying baby in the non interconnecting room. Avoid this hotel and choose somewhere else quieter and mor helpfull

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel all together
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank CliveO200
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Clive
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. Whilst we always try to assist with early check in requests for our guests, we cannot guarantee this until 3pm as we have a 12noon check out policy.
I am very sorry to learn of the noise disturbance you faced during your stay. From speaking with my team regarding this I believe we tried to assist in a further room move due to your reports of noise from other guests however the hotel was fully booked. Likewise I understand you would have been happy to upgrade to one of our superior or grandstand rooms however again these were already reserved.
My sincere apologies for the dissatisfaction you incurred. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future and leave you with a much more positive lasting impression.
Mark Leyland

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a far walk from York itself so if you want to be in the middle of I wouldn't bother booking this hotel! After staying at a beautiful hotel in whitby the night before (rainsworth estate) at 165 pounds the Marriott being 169 I expected the same kind of luxury! This hotel is more like a 3 star hotel. Very dated looks like nothing has been changed since the 80's I used to work for Marriott so was even more disappointed with the shoddy standards. The room was small with a small double bed all walls peeling and black marks all over them. The pool area was nice but wouldn't want to sit on the loungers as covered in brown marks wouldn't cost much for some covers and to wash them from time I time. The worst part of the stay was breakfast this was a shambles could even over here the staff saying what a disaster and moaning about how busy it was! The girl that seemed to be in charge seemed to be doing all the work and other staff just looked bamboozled. Had to wait 30 min to be seated to them have to wait a further 15 for tea and coffee which was brought over but with nothing to drink it in. Finally got mugs but no teaspoons! The atmosphere was tense and I wonder how they will cope next weekend for the races weekend!

York is a beautiful place I would just look elsewhere to stay

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear HolLeemz
Many thanks for sharing your feedback and for your recent custom. I am very disappointed to hear that your stay with us did not surpass your expectations. I will be sure to inspect the room you occupied to ascertain what works need to be taken. I will also address your comments with regards to our breakfast service with my team.
I am glad you liked our leisure facilities. The poolside furniture is less than a month old so should be in excellent condition. I will ask my Leisure Club manager to review this further.
I do hope we can welcome you back soon and create a more positive lasting impression.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We recently stayed at the Marriott Hotel in York and it was a really nice place. The leisure centre is not huge but adequate , gardens beautiful, rooms were lovely especially the beds. Food and breakfast very nice too. Excellent value and right next to the racecourse so if you are going to a meeting there its perfect

Room Tip: We had a connecting room so if you have a larger family these are available
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gordon G
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Gordon
Many thanks for such a great review. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay and I do hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Me and my wife stayed here on the 29th& 30th July 2014. We stayed in the penthouse suit.The room was very spacious with a beautiful bathroom with a separate shower.I spent a lot of tie in the pool,steam room,sauna & jacuzzi.The breakfast was great.I had breakfast in bed.There is a £3 tray charge for this but if your no your hols enjoy. Kev x Tina B.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Kev B
Thank you for your fantastic review. It is great to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and I will be sure to share your kind words with my team.
I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel in a king room which was excellent. The room had a balcony which overlooked the grounds and was spotless. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast had plenty of choices and was tasty. Would highly recommend this hotel, we will be returning.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Sarahje2014
Many thanks for your fantastic review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind words about my team.
I will be sure to share this great feedback with them.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.