“great location and friendly staff”

York Marriott Hotel
Ranked #34 of 46 Hotels in York
Stockton, UK
“great location and friendly staff”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed in this hotel for one night while my husband was in York on business. Room was spacious with a view out to the racecourse. Bed was comfortable and everything was clean and tidy. The leisure area and pool were clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The outside terrace is a great place to sit and have a drink and it looks out over the grounds towards the racecourse. We had a lovely evening meal in the restaurant. Had a few minor issues with the room - it was a very warm day and although the windows opened they were on chains and kept closing themselves, in the bathroom it looked as though a heated towel rail had been removed and there were two capped pipes sticking up from the floor near to the wall and there was a big step up to the bathroom which could have been a problem for anyone with walking issues. Before we left I discussed these issues with a Manager who was more than happy to go through them with me, promising to look into them further. All in all a lovely, friendly hotel and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Tarran
Thank you for taking the time to provide this great feedback. I will be sure to follow up on the areas you discussed with my Duty Manager and I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back soon.
Mark Leyland.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Our trip to the Marriot in York was a last minute decision but we were all pleased with what we found there. 'We' consisted of husband, wife & two grown up kids all in a family room.
On arrival the receptionist was welcoming & helpful. The room (165) was spacious, clean & tidy with plenty of tea, coffee & biscuits waiting.
Our evening bar meal was reasonably priced, good quality & came after 15 minutes of ordering.
The no 4 bus runs from right outside the hotel & gets you into York centre within 10 minutes. We bought a family day ticket at £7.40 which gave us unlimited local travel...excellent value.
We used the leisure facilities at the end of a long day & they Iived up to expectations.
All in all a good stay if a little pricey.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Stephen
Many thanks for your great review and indeed your loyal custom. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and I will be sure to share your feedback with my team.
I hope we can welcome you back soon.
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Marriott for 2 nights. Our deluxe room was on the first floor at the front of the hotel overlooking the main road, however as the hotel is set back we didn't hear any traffic noise. The room was a decent size as was the bathroom and mainly very clean apart from a dangling cobweb. The one thing that did annoy me was that the curtain on the window by our bed didn't actually reach the edge and had we had any sun, we'd have been woken by it shining right in our eyes.
There were weddings downstairs on both nights but there was no noise from them in the room, people walking down the corridor were very noisy and woke us up.
It was an easy and cheap trip by bus into the centre - we didn't attempt to walk due to health issues.
We didn't have any meals or use the bar do I can't comment on those.
We felt the hotel was ok but we could have booked a Premier Inn right in the centre for less and had just as big a room, bar, restaurant etc. I wouldn't stay here again - and we had a special offer, it still wasn't good value, I felt we were paying for the Marriott name.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Magenta74
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Magenta74
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am very grateful for your feedback and will be sure to look into the issue you mention with the curtains further.
It is always disappointing to learn that a loyal guest may not return and I do hope we will be able to welcome you back soon and regain your loyalty.
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We had some good experiences and some not so good experiences with this hotel when staying there recently. On calling the hotel to book (as we couldn't book online), it takes some time to get through to reservations (and there doesn't seem to be a way to email the hotel). Once we finally got through, the person we spoke to was excellent, going out of his way to make sure we had the right room configuration for our party (though the automated configuration from Marriott didn't show the right rooms, leading to some uncertainty as to whether we owuld actually get the right rooms when we checked in [we did]).

The rooms were not up to our expectations for a Marriott however - the mini bar was empty, there were no slippers/robes, and the beds were far too soft. There were far fewer towels than normal and there is a note that the bedding is changed only every 3 days (I really hope that they do change it on checkouts nevertheless...). The bath was old and the bathroom was a very strange layout, with lots of wasted space. From the room point of view it was more like a cheap motel.

The other facilities were ok. We used the free parking, swimming pool (small but we had it to ourselves at 7:30am) and had the breakfast buffet, which was pretty good quality, though not very extensive and didn't includes drinks such as Cafe Latte ("because they are made using a Starbucks machine behind the bar"). We had very good service at breakfast from one of the servers.

Checkout was done using the Marriott app, but a week later we still haven't received the bill for one of the rooms.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mc852
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Mc852
Many thanks for your recent loyal custom and also for taking the time to post this review. I am very sorry to learn that your time with us did not surpass your expectations.
Just to reassure you we do indeed change the bedding on check outs. The programme you mention is part of our environmental policy and applies to guests staying with us for multiple nights who may prefer not to have the bedding changed every day.
Whilst we do not stock the mini bars in our rooms, due to popular demand we have retained these for guests to use as chillers. We provide bathrobes and slippers in all our Superior and Grandstand rooms and I will be sure to ask my Head Housekeeper to review the rooms you occupied to double check the mattresses. I am sorry for any discomfort you incurred.
Thank you for your kind words about my team which I will be sure to share with them.
I do hope you will be returning in the future so we can reaffirm your faith in the service we strive to deliver.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Please dont waste your money, stay elsewhere. We stayed here on Saturday 16th of August as we were attending a wedding. We were charged £165.00 on one night, breakfast was an addtional charge of £15.00 per person for an english breakfast. Wifi access was not included in the room rate. On arrival the reception area was small and chaotic. 1st impressions the room appeared ok but my opinion quickly changed with stains on the arm chair, shower curtain and some very grim stains on the bed valances. Please see the attached photos.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel
7 Thank Gill P
Dear Gill
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I am very sorry that the bedroom you occupied was not up to our normal high standards. I will investigate this further today and take the corrective action needed.
We are pleased to provide complimentary internet access in all our public areas and we do offer a variety of packages on our hotel website, many of which include breakfast.
Thank you once again for bringing this matter to my attention. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future and leave you with a much more positive impression.
Scotland, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,462 helpful votes
Reviewed 17 August 2014

From many previous stays at this hotel, this experience was not up to the usual high standards of the Marriott brand. Firstly, well in advance I had requested a racecourse executive room and my request was acknowledged in writing. I also repeated my request on the Marriott Concierge site prior to my stay. We were eventually booked into a racecourse room but, on opening the bedroom door was amassed at being greeted by a current resident. So, we trekked back to reception and reported the incident to another front desk operator. After, a little wait, we were then allocated the room type we had requested and then trekked back pulling our luggage and shopping etc. Apologies were made but this was an extraordinary poor level of customer service by the Marriott Group. As Gold Members, we stay at Marriott's a lot and this was the poorest level of customer service received any where in the world. Breakfast service was also poor on the 1st morning but picked up on the 2nd occasion. Of course, we will return but the customer service training to all Marriott Associates needs top be re-run! Hope this helps the Hotel Manager identify some re-training needs.

Room Tip: Ask for racecourse facing room for extra quietness and lets hope you are successful?
2 Thank Keith J
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at York Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Keith
I am very sorry to learn of the challenges you faced during your stay and please rest assured I will follow up on this personally. My sincere apologies for the dissatisfaction you incurred and thank you for taking the time to provide me with this feedback.
I do hope we can welcome you back soon and regain your faith in the service we strive to deliver.
durham
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Booked in for one night £210 for B&B. The decor was tired - maybe due for a refurb? The window was narrow and high up but at least we could see the Minster. Arriving back after evening in York, the noise from the wedding disco even on the third floor was very intrusive. I expect this is the case every weekend, avoid any room at the same end of the hotel as the disco room. The room was far too hot, but if we had been staying longer we might have worked out the controls. Bed very comfy. Wi-fi available in rooms but at a price. These days itshould be free. Breakfast only adequate and cooked items cold.. The bus service into York on the number 4 bus was excellent

Room Tip: Avoid the disco end,
3 Thank DurhamMadcat
Dear DurhamMadcat
Thank you for taking the time to post this review and indeed for your recent loyal custom. I am very sorry for the noise issues you encountered and also that the room you occupied was too hot. All our rooms have air-conditioning so I will check with my property manager today to ensure there are no further issues.
I do hope we can welcome you back in the future and thank you once again for providing this feedback.