“Lovely restaurant, great evening meall”

Bennett's Cafe & Bistro
Ranked #123 of 1,013 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Bennett's Cafe and Bistro is located right in the heart of York with incredible views of York Minster. Serving wonderful homemade cakes and scones daily, and delicious locally sourced evening meals from 5.30Pm Tuesday-Saturday, Bennett's has something to suit everyones tastes.
Reviewed 12 July 2016 via mobile

We ate here from the evening bistro menu

Good food we had the steak and salmon..

My husband is always very picky with steak but he said this was a great steak

Good wine list especially if you like a Sauvignon from Nz

Relaxed atmosphere, though it still feels like a speciaL meal

Staff attentive with out being too attentive

Essential to book but easy to do by website

Reviewed 11 July 2016

7 of us went for a meal here whilst staying in York at the weekend. The service was excellent and food delicious. Try the lamb it was simply delicious cooked to perfection. lovely ambient restaurant with a really nice atmosphere.

Reviewed 8 July 2016

It is a cafe by day and tuesday to saturday evening a bistro,good food,good menu very friendly staff

Reviewed 7 July 2016

Went on my Birthday and had very pleasant seating and service but sadly the food was not up to standard. We paid £6.70 for a tuna melt and it was very disappointing, all it was was some salad with two slices of bread tuna on top with melted cheese. It was no way panini like shaped which it should of been and there were no crisps! My Father had a bacon sandwich well,if you can call it that it was mainly two slices of bread as sadly there was no bacon. I was robbed.

13  Thank starlord2
Management response:Responded 12 July 2016

Dear Starlord 2,
I'm sorry that you feel that you were robbed and I'll try to explain why, if you were robbed, it was unintentional.
You report that the tuna melt was " no way panini like shaped which it should of been." The description of our tuna melt on the menu is verbatim, "Lightly toasted ciabatta topped with tuna and grilled cheese."
In order to give our customers a satisfactory experience we do carefully consider the ingredients that we use. Personally, I prefer the taste and texture of the ciabatta that we use to the paninis that I have tried in the past. However, it is a personal preference and different people have different tastes. The ciabatta that we use is the shape that it is, I'm sorry that the shape caused such consternation. I suppose it’s something of a judgement call but I’ve tended in the past to put taste and texture above shape when it comes to food but it is an interesting point that you raise.
Also, we choose a tuna that is sustainably sourced. It may be a little more expensive than other tuna but I think it is a more ethical choice, just as we choose to use free range eggs and higher welfare reared meat products.
Additionally, shop rents and rates are quite high in York. As you may know wage rates rose in April and I am pleased to pay my colleagues a living wage rather than a minimum wage, a cost which I have not yet passed on.
Of the £6.70 charged for the tuna melt, £1.12 is VAT which goes straight to the government.
The ciabatta, which you describe as "two slices of bread" actually costs more than I would have to pay for most other ciabatta/panini breads that are available.

I'm relieved to read that you describe our service as very pleasant and gave that aspect of your review 4 stars. Although, given that, I'm somewhat surprised that you felt unable to mention that there was no bacon in your father's bacon sandwich. It's a great pity that your father didn't have any bacon because it is truly exceptional. It is supplied by Lishman's of Ilkley and has been selected as English Champion bacon on two occasions, similarly, their sausages, which we use, have also been repeat English Champions. Lishman's are excellent butchers, having been awarded Q guild status, we use their bacon, sausages, ham, black puddings and rib eye steaks. However, this comes at a cost, we could use a cheaper supplier but I prefer to pay extra for what I think is a better product and then regrettably, I have to pass that extra cost on.

Further, the menu describes the bacon sandwich as "English Champion bacon in lightly toasted ciabatta." Occasionally some customers prefer sliced bread, either granary or white and we are happy to oblige, perhaps if we had used sliced bread your father might have found the bacon.

Now, I would like to address the fact that you found the experience to be expensive and that "there were no crisps!"
As inferred previously, I could make savings in the cost of the ciabatta, the tuna and my colleagues’ wages. The money I would save could be used to provide crisps ( I should add at this point, that this is the first time in twenty years of providing tuna melts that crisps have been such a major factor.)
But which crisps?
Personally, I prefer Tyrrell's sea salt and cider vinegar but there are so many different flavours, how am I to chose?
Then there are the different cuts, natural or crinkle?
The different shapes, random or circular, like Pringles?
It becomes a nightmare. I'm not even sure that I have the mental resilience to continue the business now that bread shape and the provision of potato crisps have become two of the more important metrics by which our sandwiches are judged.

However, I do accept that eating out is expensive but I don't think that we are disproportionately expensive for the quality of food, service and location on offer. York is oversupplied with food outlets at the moment and competition is so intense that I doubt that anybody who is "robbing" people would survive for very long.

I can assure you that when we come to work in the morning, we hope to give our customers a positive experience at Bennett's. Please believe me, it is much more pleasant work for us if our customers enjoy the experience than if they are disappointed, angry or confrontational.

I do understand that customers can be reticent about food and service but I plead with you, and all customers, no matter which restaurant you are in, to politely draw attention to any problems at the time of the visit when they can be resolved, rather than brood on your disappointment, return home and write a review when it is too late to rectify the situation. Frankly, not telling a member of staff that there is no bacon in a bacon sandwich brings reticence to a whole new level, bordering on martyrdom.

It is for the above reasons that I hope you can now understand that we did not try to "rob" you.

Reviewed 7 July 2016 via mobile

Went for an early lunch with my family. It was a lovely atmosphere and quite quiet. We had 2 egg and cress sandwiches and a scrambled egg on toast! They came quick and were presented well! We tried each others food and it was all amazing, so tasty! I will definitely be coming back again and trying other things on the menu!