“Recommended for everyone - and FREE!”
Review of York Cat Trail

York Cat Trail
Ranked #19 of 59 Tours in York
More attraction details
Owner description: FREE FUN IN YORK... aka The Fabulous York Cat Trail provides both visitors and locals with the opportunity to find and photo the numerous statues of cats which are on York's old buildings. These were put there to frighten away rats and mice. The statues were also thought to ward off wandering evil spirits and to bestow good luck and good health on people. Enjoy the trail... it's FREE! You are warmly invited to download it from our website, or to pick it up from our Shambles based shop
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We would thoroughly recommend this to anyone and everyone! It is FREE. It is fun to do, and you might even learn or find something new no matter how many times you’ve been to York. We are in our 50’s and really enjoyed trying to be the first to find each cat; but I would have loved to have had this when our children were children. It takes you round the famous sights, but also down streets and alleys which you would probably not have used as well.

I believe the owner of the York Glass Ltd has produced the leaflet, though he didn’t take all the credit for it, saying that there was already something on the internet, and he was not particularly pushing his shop either. But I think he has done a great job of it – and the shop is very interesting too.

We were very proud to find ALL the cats, but the one from the park gates and the one from the bridge were particularly difficult to find. The only recommendation I would make for the next production of the leaflet, is that the clues should be moved to the end, so that you have the option to find the cats first, without a hint.

I think it would really keep children interested while going round York. And you can take as long as you want to do it, or just find a few of the cats in the area you are walking.

Brilliant! Thanks.

3  Thank Kirbyminder

Reviewed 14 August 2011

A fabulous find on our trip to York was the Cat Trail, followed the trail round york and had a fantastic time looking for all the cats (some harder to find than others) and after hunting them down managed to find them all - with a little help from the map picked up from the Cat Gallery in Low Petergate. I would thoroughly advise a trail round this gem of a find :)

2  Thank magicpaws
Reviewed 9 August 2011

This was great fun, we stumbled across a map for it in the York Glass shop in The Shambles (selling the lucky cats). You can also pick up a map from The Cat Gallery in Low Petersgate, both trails are slightly different but we prefered the one from the glass shop - it was more like clues to help us find the cats rather than simply telling us where they were.
The walking tour is basically following steps in the little leaflet to find all of the cat statues that have been built in the city. Some of them are hard to find but my boyfriend and I are proud to say we found, and photographed, 18! The clues take you on a path all round the city, so if you haven't explored properly yet it's a great way of seeing everything without getting lost! We also turned it into a kind of 'pub crawl' as it takes you past quite a few tempting pubs to rest your legs! The walk took us jjust under two hours I think, but it went by quickly as there are 17/18 cats to find (athough we later spotted some that weren't on the trail). We also saw organised groups with a guide explaining the origin and history of each cat, but we just went it alone armed with our map and clues and didn't stop until we found them all!
Thouroughly recommended for all ages to see the city, there's plenty of places en route you can stop and rest if in need of a rewarding refreshment!

2  Thank ThinkPinkLauren
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Lovely owner who puts passion into his pursuit of excellence. Nice to browse and take home a little souvenir of my trip. I do believe I have been blessed with more than my share of good fortune since I bought my little glass cat - I give it a rub every day and I swear it purrs...

3  Thank kathellie
Reviewed 19 May 2011

We're not children (senior citizens, in fact) and we walked the cat trail when we were in York earlier this month. We had fun tracking down the cats, standing on sidewalks looking up and around. The trail took us to parts of the inner city we might not have found otherwise and helped us explore. We have photos of all 16! Thanks for putting this together -- great for all ages! We mentioned it to a friend who is in the travel business and she's going to try it out next time she's in York.

2  Thank GraemeNora