“What more is there to say? Well, a bit...”

National Railway Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
US$52.37*
and up
The York Pass Including Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #1 of 205 things to do in York
More attraction details
Owner description: For a fantastic day out for the whole family in York, visit the award winning National Railway Museum. Get up close to over 300 years of fascinating history in York's only National Museum. Explore our giant halls full of trains and railway legends including the majestic Duchess of Hamilton, step on to the futuristic Japanese Bullet Train or marvel at the stunning opulence of the Royal Trains. Get on board awe-inspiring locomotives, watch our engineers at work in the Workshop, uncover hidden treasures in the Warehouse and make tracks to the outdoor area. The children can let off steam in our outdoor play area, and our miniature railway ride is perfect for the whole family. Every weekend and throughout the school holidays, the kids can enjoy a lively programme of events, including science shows, story telling, steam rides, craft activities and special events. Please note that calls to our listed phone number (0844...) cost 4.25p per minute plus your phone company's access charge.
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I've come here a few times but not for a few years and always enjoyed it, but this year I came with my wife, so I'll concentrate on what's changed and her experience.

There's still the wonderful collection of railway items, but I thought the interpretation was much better organised than in the past. Without the excellent signage, it can all be a bit baffling for a 'Normal' as I once heard a railway enthusiast describe the general public.

We were both gobsmacked by the display of streamlined A4's, which was probably the main reason we came this year. My wife enjoyed the locos in the Great Hall more that I expected, and she dragged me off the the Station Hall to see the Royal Trains, which I enjoyed more than she expected.

The Museum, for a very reasonable £5, provided her with a mobility scooter which enabled her to enjoy far more of the exhibits than she otherwise would. After hip and ankle operations, she can walk well, but standing around is painful. The staff member who provided this on a VERY busy half-term day could not have been more helpful. Everywhere was accessible by lift and/or ramp, which was nice.

Just one warning. Watch out for the black pudding sausage rolls. They contain enough calories to take a King over Dainton Bank.

1  Thank HoraceHedgehog
There are newer reviews for National Railway Museum

Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

We recently visited the museum with teenager and older relatives and found there was something for everyone. We spent a few hours wandering around and I particularly loved the royal trains. Can't wait to see the flying scotsman when renovation is complete. Admission is free but donations are always welcome to keep up this lovely museum.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Great visit to see the Great Gathering of A4's.
It was crowded which was expected.
Other areas not so bad.
Lots to see
Train ride recomended.
Only negative official shop very expensive.
Bought prints from a preservation society stand at 20p each. In frame from official shop over £50
Lots of places to eat and sit down

1  Thank Jeremy W
Reviewed 31 October 2013

A great museum and it's free, but I hope that, like me, you made a donation/ Was great to see 6 Mallard loco's before one goes back to Canada and one to the States. I would allow a good 3 hours to see and do everything. Car parking is £9, but considering the museum is free that is a small price to pay.

The only 'downside' is that the sire is very compact and needs more space to grow so that it can show more of it's exhibits and keep them under cover.

2  Thank RucksackKent
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

We came up with our children including a train mad 3 year old son to see the gathering of the six remaining A4 locomotives brought together to mark the 75th anniversary of the Mallard breaking the speed record for a steam engine. We were a bit worried seeing the size of the queue, but were quickly inside. Despite the large numbers of people although it was busy aside from around the turntable in the Great Hall it didn't feel busy. There was lots to see - we didn't see it all thanks to little legs starting to get tired!

The only disappointment is that for a museum devoted to trains, aside from a short length of track and the miniature railway most of the exhibits are static - you have to go elsewhere to see the locomotives actually moving!

1  Thank RTPeat