“The best free museum I've ever been too!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
The York Pass Including Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #1 of 199 things to do in York
More attraction details
Owner description: For a fantastic day out for the whole family in York, visit the award winning National Railway Museum. Get up close to over 300 years of fascinating history in York's only National Museum. Explore our giant halls full of trains and railway legends including the majestic Duchess of Hamilton, step on to the futuristic Japanese Bullet Train or marvel at the stunning opulence of the Royal Trains. Get on board awe-inspiring locomotives, watch our engineers at work in the Workshop, uncover hidden treasures in the Warehouse and make tracks to the outdoor area. The children can let off steam in our outdoor play area, and our miniature railway ride is perfect for the whole family. Every weekend and throughout the school holidays, the kids can enjoy a lively programme of events, including science shows, story telling, steam rides, craft activities and special events. Please note that calls to our listed phone number (0844...) cost 4.25p per minute plus your phone company's access charge.
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The best free museum I've ever been too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Could have easily spent a whole day here but we were unfortunately on a tight schedule. The free admission attracted us and even when we made a donation at the front desk we were given a great little book. Really enjoyed seeing the vintage train stations, so much detail and thought goes into the presentation and layout. Although we didn't have a meal, the food on display looked fresh and inviting. The whole place was exceptional and I really do mean it when I say that it is the best free museum I've ever gone too.
I would probably recommend not going during school holidays, although to be honest, there was so much space around all of the exhibits that the children around us weren't a bother at all.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Great place to visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Im not a train buff but this is a great place to visit, you could easily spend the whole day here. I cant believe it has Free entry. If you're in the area pay them a visit its well worth it.

brisbane
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Impressive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

An amazing display of rail engines and carriages over a huge area. I am married to a train buff who worked for the railways for thirty-four years so I am used to going along to see trains but this exhibition is outstanding. And the cost to go in - a donation!!! Well done to the organisation who runs this Museum. A very well laid out display showing the technological progression of rail. You could spend a very long time taking in everything. Good facilities around the Museum - bathrooms, seating, restaurants. A must see when you visit York. Easily accessed.

Leven
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“repeat visit - and I'm sure there will be more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

There is plenty to see and it's all free. We were able to have tour of the inside of the Pullman coach which is a new option. I've visited several times and that probably says it all.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Tons of Locomotive Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Went for a lazy weekend afternoon. The museum is well laid out, with more examples of engines, cabooses and cars than I have seen at any other transportation museum.
Many you are able to climb in to as well, and take pictures of.
The signs and facts are easy to understand, which is great if you are not well versed in transportation, mechanics or the politics behind the railway business (the latter which I was wholly unfamiliar with).

Visited November 2013