“Information overload but WOW”

National Railway Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
US$52.31*
and up
The York Pass Including Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #1 of 205 things to do in York
More attraction details
Owner description: For a fantastic day out for the whole family in York, visit the award winning National Railway Museum. Get up close to over 300 years of fascinating history in York's only National Museum. Explore our giant halls full of trains and railway legends including the majestic Duchess of Hamilton, step on to the futuristic Japanese Bullet Train or marvel at the stunning opulence of the Royal Trains. Get on board awe-inspiring locomotives, watch our engineers at work in the Workshop, uncover hidden treasures in the Warehouse and make tracks to the outdoor area. The children can let off steam in our outdoor play area, and our miniature railway ride is perfect for the whole family. Every weekend and throughout the school holidays, the kids can enjoy a lively programme of events, including science shows, story telling, steam rides, craft activities and special events. Please note that calls to our listed phone number (0844...) cost 4.25p per minute plus your phone company's access charge.
Reviewed 13 July 2014

An amazing place for train enthusiasts. Very well laid out , good lighting and details. Wonderful host and yummy home made food at all cafés inside. Loved it , kids did not want to leave and my wife wants to revisit - alone. We distracted her.

There are newer reviews for National Railway Museum

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Deffinatly worth visiting there is so much to see & there offering it for free & you never know when that's will change, I spent a good hour and a half in there & still didn't see everything so plan you visit allowing plenty of time. Im going back again at some point to see the rest.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Superb site , hugh displays, decent cafe and shop .Well worth a vist in all weathers.. AND FREE ADMISSION--but give 'em a donation eh !

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This museum is free entry and so, so worth it when you go to York. The children will love it and adults will be impressed by the engineering and the size of the engines. Being a woman I thought I wouldn't like a museum about trains but as I am well over 60 years old I remember steam and it is a romantic place as well as an education, so don't write it off if you are female and feel that engines aren't your 'thing'. There is a nice coffee and cake shop as well so both my husband and I enjoyed the whole visit and would go again.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We had good value sandwiches and drinks in the Great Hall before embarking on a three hour walk around this huge and free museum. Unless you are very poor then I feel you must make a donation of what you can afford. They suggest £3. There is so much to see getting up close to some huge and historic trains. Don't miss the Warehouse which is full of artefacts. We travelled to York by train, the museum is next door to the railway station.