National Railway Museum
and up
The York Pass Including Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #1 of 208 things to do in York
More attraction details
Owner description: For a fantastic day out for the whole family in York, visit the award winning National Railway Museum. Get up close to over 300 years of fascinating history in York's only National Museum. Explore our giant halls full of trains and railway legends including the majestic Duchess of Hamilton, step on to the futuristic Japanese Bullet Train or marvel at the stunning opulence of the Royal Trains. Get on board awe-inspiring locomotives, watch our engineers at work in the Workshop, uncover hidden treasures in the Warehouse and make tracks to the outdoor area. The children can let off steam in our outdoor play area, and our miniature railway ride is perfect for the whole family. Every weekend and throughout the school holidays, the kids can enjoy a lively programme of events, including science shows, story telling, steam rides, craft activities and special events. Please note that calls to our listed phone number (0844...) cost 4.25p per minute plus your phone company's access charge.
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I've been here a few times, one of my earliest memories was my dad taking me to see the trains at York.
I recently visited with my wife, and things have changed quite a bit.
Entry is now free to the museum but there is a suggested donation of £3 per person to get in to help them to keep the place slick and span and shiny.
It's still a brilliant afternoon out, there's lots of things to do for both adults and kids. We're not train enthusiasts but we both loved it.
It's a brilliant representation of a big part of our history, and just shows you what we were capable of as a nation from an early period.
To stand at the side of some of these engines and appreciate the sheer size and power of them is something a bit different.
There are lots of old and new trains alike. Including Mallard, the royal train and the bullet train.
The place was busy when we visited but just right, you never felt pressured to move on or hurry up.
There's also a nice cafe on the platform with old fashioned style booths. They serve alsorts, we had a couple of pieces of cake and a pot of tea.

All in all a lovely visit would definitely recommend

Write a ReviewReviews (14,177)

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Plenty to see here, and best of all its free. If you're a train enthusiast then this is definitely the place for you. There's not much on offer from the restaurant, or the hot dog van outside, so you might want to think about taking some food but you can do most of this place in under 2 hours.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is certainly for all the train lovers in the world!
The space is so well designed displaying lots and lots of different trains, including the only Bullet train outside of Japan, which you can walk through.
The trains are immaculately restored and cared for throughout the museum.
Free to get in, which is fantastic this day and age, and well worth a visit.
Great to see the old signs and vending machines too.
There is a small gift shop which wasn't over priced for souvenirs and the whole experience was a joy!
Thank you National Rail Museum in York. we are now looking forward to visiting the Stockton Rail Museum now.

2  Thank Lemonmerangue
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Great afternoon out. Awesome trains that are larger than life. Play area for small children. Miniature ride on train trips at £1 a person outside - great for the children's entertainment. Picnic benches inside so I guess you can take your own picnic although there is food available including that specifically geared for young children. Parking over the road at £9 a day, pay at reception and get your exit token. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

A great day a the railway museum. I genuinely enjoyed it and really didn't think I would as I'm not really interested in trains or the railway. I would recommend it if you're in York and have a half day to kill!