“Really boring and aimed at Small children”
Review of Yorkshire Museum

Yorkshire Museum
Ranked #29 of 205 things to do in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover thousands of years of York's history in one place, from prehistory to the city's medieval splendour. Walk on a genuine Roman mosaic floor, kneel at St William's shrine, see the monsters of the deep that swam when Yorkshire was beneath the see and much more in our fantastic galleries in the hear of the city.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / lift, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was a big disappointment and we are glad that we only visited it because it was included on the ticket we bought to visit the Castle Museum (much more interesting). The museum seems to be aimed exclusively at young children; the explanations are generally superficial, etc. If you don't have young children, give it a miss....

A great pity, because I am interested in History and especially in the War of the Roses, but I learned nothing here....!

1  Thank WorldwideAtraveller
There are newer reviews for Yorkshire Museum

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Very interesting History of Yorkshire and York. Very informative and this is from a Lancastrian !!
Lots for the kids to do with interactive exhibitions. Lots of medieval clothes for the kids to wear. This is definitely a hands-on museum.
Superb grounds, set within St.Mary's Abbey, a beautiful place to relax. We were fortunate enough to listen to an official Tour Guide giving the history of the Abbey.
Make sure you purchase the joint ticket for both Yorkshire Museum and York Castle Museum for £10 per person .This ticket lasts for a whole year and saves a lot of money. We didn't have enough time to visit York Castle Museum so the year long ticket allows us to go there next time we visit. Brilliant idea to make the tickets last a whole year.

2  Thank Tony_Price100200
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is a top quality museum that covers the entire History of York. I would go here first to avoid the tourist traps and see the real artifacts of this historical city.

1  Thank ltrayers
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This was an okay museum, but i've been to much better, free museums. The exhibits were a little boring, although the taxidermy was interesting. The film of York was a nice touch but I wouldn't go back.

1  Thank Sam U
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I visited first the YORK CASTLE MUSEUM where I learned that for 10 GBP I could also visit the YORKSHIRE MUSEUM located at the other side of York. I hopped back to my York Citysightseeing Bus and told the driver to let me off at the stop for this other museum.

I was surprised to see that there are 2 additional BONUSES for my 10 GBP entrance fee. Located next the YORKSHIRE MUSEUM is a beautiful GARDEN full of blooming flowers and the ruins of ST MARY'S ABBEY.

YORKSHIRE MUSEUM: One floor has exhibits regarding the extinction of animals and birds from our planet, particularly the dinosaurs. Children would definitely love and enjoy these exhibits.

History of York: I enjoyed most the exhibits related to its history. I began my tour by watching a short film about it at the small auditorium. The exhibits are nicely laid out and I was able to follow the timeline of York's history - Roman period, Viking era, Anglian period, and Norman Dynasty.

One last bonus - I'm saving my ticket because it is valid for 1 year and can be used as many times as I want. I would definitely visit this museum again next time I'm back in York. It's the very best way to spend my 10 GBP in York!

1  Thank LolaGo1