“Bad steak and service”

Cuisines: International, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Arriving hungry for dinner at 7pm, my family took a table upstairs so we could get a window seat overlooking the river on such a lovely evening. we then ordered our food. We took advantage of the advertised two for one on steaks on a Sunday. We waited an uncomfortable 45 minutes for our meal to arrive during which time we had to suffer the bad singing from a group of inebriated sounding customers downstairs, wailing at full volume. Where was the management to ask them to keep it down?. I ordered the 8oz rump steak. The fries, salad, mushrooms and peas were fine but the steak was a jaw breaker. I chewed and chewed and gave up. Boot leather would have been easier to eat. Having waited so long, and with a child to consider, I couldn't wait another 45 minutes for a replacement and besides, no staff came near or by. Eventually, when a member of staff came up I made my complaint and was told she would tell the management. Whether she did or not I don't know, because she just returned to remove the rest of the plates. No wonder they are giving steaks away on a Sunday - mine was like tough horse meat and what with the service and ambience, I couldn't recommend this establishment. We didn't bother to order anything else after that and left, disappointed. Decor was fine!

1  Thank D G
Caroline S, Manager at The Lowther, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Hello, thank you for your review. I am so very sorry that you had such a bad experience with us when you visited our establishment. I am unsure as to why there was such a wait on food, and I hope you can accept my apologies for such a tremendous wait for your order. Unfortunately, at the time you visited our upstairs bar was closed to the public, but I have been informed that the management on shift had decided it was fine for you to sit up there to enjoy the riverside views. Whilst this was us trying to make your experience more pleasurable I fear that this is the reason you did not get the standard of service we would usually provide and I am sure the standard of which you had expected. The management were not told of the complaint, and this is simply unacceptable. The issue will be addressed immediately and we hope that this problem will not occur again. As for the noisy customers, I am afraid that it was actually children singing, and whilst we do ask people that are overly loud to keep the noise down, we do tend to give children a bit more leeway. Saying that we are very sorry that it had interrupted your meal and we would very much like to rectify the situation. We understand that upon this occasion it was not just one factor but a multitude of contributing issues that made your experience an unhappy one. We would very much like to make that up to you. If you would be willing for us to do so, and possibly try us again in the future, please contact me on carolinesmith.thelowther@gmail.com and I will do my utmost to resolve this matter. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

Went to the Lowther for pre theatre food and drinks
Very smart looking inside
We selected our dishes and went to order at the bar
It took three staff members to enter in to the till
Starters were un-impressive calamari in a bowl with small pot of sauce no garnish and certainly no thought by any chef on presentation
Garlic dough balls and bread were equally lack lustre on presentation
Mains were better but burgers ordered as house special lacked some of the ingredients as stated
Pointed out to staff member which I believe was in charge of food and this was quickly remedied
Mains were quite good
For the prices paid though they could do more especially in presentation of starters

Hello, thank you for your review! I am sorry to hear that we did not fulfil your expectations upon this visit. Your comment about presentation of the starters has been noted and we will be working on improving that. I am the person who dealt with the food for you at the time and cannot express how sorry I am that the food was not perfect when it reached your table. I am happy to hear that you were content with the solution I offered and once again I am sorry we had to rectify such mistakes. Thank you for being so patient with us, and for your feedback, as we would not know how to improve without such reviews! We very much hope that you would visit us again, and should you require any more information or if I can help you with any other queries, please feel free to contact me personally on carolinesmith.thelowther@gmail.com Thank you again!

Reviewed 12 April 2013

This pub has recently been refurbished to a high standard and the food is good quality pub grub. The music was excellent and my children enjoyed the visit. The other customers ranged in age but there was a high number of people in their early twenties and another visitor told me it was popular with the student crowd.

Hello, thank you for such a lovely review, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and that the atmosphere and food met your expectations! Thank you for bringing your family to us, we are predominantly a student bar late at night but we have many families visiting throughout the daytime for meals and such. We hope that you would consider us again, and if you would like any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me personally on carolinesmith.thelowther@gmail.com thank you again!

Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

Drinks are really cheap...good for students. We waited a little too long to get served and it wasnt even that busy. Great atmosphere though with indue music and nice modern decor inside.

Hello, thank you for such a great review, we are very sorry you had to wait longer than expected to be served, we will be addressing the problem immediately and hope that upon your next visit this problem is rectified. We hope you will visit us again in the future, if you would like to contact us for anything please do not hesitate to email me personally on carolinesmith.thelowther@gmail.com thanks again.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Ordered 3 breakfasts, only 2 came. Had to sit n wait 5mins for one while other 2 ate theirs. Not ideal. Staff redeemed themselves with complimentary coffees. Note to caterers everywhere - a coffee costs you pennies but goes a long way to soothing annoyed customers. Food was excellent, place v clean. Would visit again

Caroline S, Manager at The Lowther, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2013

Thank you for your review! I am sorry to hear there was a delay with your breakfasts, but thank you for being so patient with us and understanding that sometimes these things happen. I am very glad to hear that you were given complimentary coffees whilst you waited for the final breakfast, we understand how frustrating it is to be the only person without a meal, and we do try to ensure that our mistakes are rectified as quickly as possible! Thank you for your lovely review, we hope you will visit us again soon! If you wish to contact us for anything please feel free to contact me personally via my email: carolinesmith.thelowther@gmail.com Thank you again!