“Nice pub on the river”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Preston
“Nice pub on the river”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Had some drinks and lunch on the side of the River Ouse in York were the pub has a section roped off for their customers. The wait staff were friendly and efficient and the food was tasty. You do have to wait at busy times in nice weather but it is an excellent location to chill out and enjoy a glass of wine watching the boats go up and down the river.

Visited April 2014

“To the dungeon”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My family and I visited the pub come restaurant on a sunny afternoon in April for a quick lunch, the staff informed us that there would be a half hour delay in food service due to the number of patrons eating outside. We ordered our food and bought our drinks...45 minutes later still no food, we were told it will be another 15 minutes due to "the number of patrons eating outside". Whilst we were waiting the table next to ours who had been waiting 20 minutes for their food were offered complimentary drinks and an apology. We however were on the verge of asking for a refund when after an hour and five minutes our food finally turned up...it wasn't worth the wait. My daughter's chicken tikka massala looked like a Tesco ready meal and my wife's sandwich certainly wasn't on ciabatta. All in all a very unsatisfactory experience.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Beardy Nigel
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Average slop, average meal”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Arriving for a meal after hearing good reviews, we were a little dissapointed with the food and drink we were served.

I started with a pint of Amstel, my favourite, however, it was not great so I moved to bottles of desperados. You can't really get that wrong ay.

The menu was extremely predictable, actually, I could have guessed everything.

For starter, we had oil, balsamic vinegar and bread. The bread was little buns so not much bread for dipping. Also, a lot of oil compared to balsamic.

For main I had burger and chips. The chips were good but came in a little frying basket....I don't understand why I need this? The burger was nice, however, it was served on a large rectangular piece of bread which was not symmetrical with the bun, making it difficult to eat and lots of excess bread. The coleslaw was good though!

Must try harder. Poor chain pub

Visited April 2014
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Average”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

When we got inside we had to move seats because it smelt like sick around the glass collection point. there was hardly anybody in so i don't know why it smelt so bad there, anyway we found a table that was ok, we had bread and balsamic vinegar and oil to start. the bread was very nice but the oil and balsamic vinegar was pretty tasteless. the steak and ale suet pudding i had tasted very nice inside but i couldn't eat the pastry because it was so hard and thick so really i had pie filling and veg. the gravy was very tasty and so were the hand cut chips, my boyfriends burger was very nice he said although the burger came on a bap that was oblong so the burger was drowned in bun. all in all it was very average so nothing to shout about, we wouldn't go back next time were in york though as i think we paid far too much for what was offered.

• Visited April 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“A room with a view”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We visited the Lowther last Sunday afternoon and we were served by efficient friendly staff,there was plenty of choice on the menu,I had the Scampi which was lovely especially enjoyed the chips.We had a nice window seat over looking the river,and what a nice place to people watch.
Will return the next time we visit York,it is pub grub but it is also cheap and cheerful

• Visited March 2014