“Average Despite a Glowing Recommendation”
Review of Tassili - CLOSED

Tassili
Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Our friend had been the week prior and really enjoyed his time, and so Tassili came highly recommended. He was part of this visit too. On a very quiet Tuesday we took our seats for a journey through North Africa. You can 'invest' in Algerian wine but it's instead we chose European (half the price). The menu all looks delicious and we settled on some sharing starters and various main courses (one vegetarian). The starters were great including some delicious warm bread. Alas this was the highlight. All three of us were super disappointed with our mains - whilst they looked the part they were really bland. The waiter who served us was friendly, helpful, and professional. In all a bit of a shame.

1  Thank Harbmeister
There are newer reviews for Tassili

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Lovely relaxing restaurant. Great decor. Moroccan/North African food. Good choice of dishes. There were 6 of us & everyone seemed happy with their choices. We had 2 courses & that was plenty. Can recommend the lemon sherbet & the tropical juice.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

After visiting Morocco, I never thought I'd be able to taste food that good again without re-visiting the country. Then I came across this restaurant… the food blew my mind. Even the humous was freshly made. You could argue that the beer was slightly expensive, but you expect that in a nice restaurant. Wished I had discovered this place sooner.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We visited this restaurant after reading the great reviews but our experience was pretty average. The smell of incense was a bit too strong in my opinion, it was quite overpowering as we entered the restaurant. The starter was very nice. We had the hummus and bread to share and the bread was lovely and warm with a bit of spice. The main courses were just OK. My boyfriend's grill was a bit dry and my chicken tagine was just lacking in flavour somewhat with too many big chunks of lemon. The wine was cheap and tasted OK, but would have preferred a bit more choice. I wouldn't say it's somewhere you'd go for a special meal even though the decor and setting is very nice.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I had heard lots of good things about this restaurant but never took the trouble to go. I drive past it every day but it isn't obvious where to park. It's in a seedier part of town and suffers from its uninspiring neighbours. Inside, the owner has decorated it with Moorish plasterwork, fretwork, furniture, cushions and lighting. There was a slight hint of incense in the air, and the lighting was subdued. The owner spoke to us knowledgeably about the house wine which he imports direct from Algeria. The service was very attentive but not intrusive. The menu was varied without being over-complicated. Main courses are about £13-£17. The best thing of all however was the food, which was fresh, authentic, generous and lovingly presented. I had the Tagine Tassili Royal which was cubed chicken and lamb on skewers on a bed of dressed salad (green olives, peppers, tomatoes, red onion, rocket, chopped coriander), surrounded by thinly sliced citrus and kiwi fruit. It was complimented by the red Algerian wine (Pinot). The dessert menu was very limited but we had homemade baklava and an excellent creme brulee served with marinated pears. The recipes are traditional North African and passed down to the owner from his grandmother in Algeria. We finished with spiced lemon and honey tea from a decorated silver teapot.
This restaurant was nearly empty (on a Saturday evening) which was such a shame.
You won't be disappointed if you just make the small effort to get here. It's definitely worth it, especially if you want a romantic atmosphere or you want to try home-cooked food with a difference.
(Park in St Georges Field car park and walk 3-4 minutes).

1  Thank DavidFair