“Breath of fresh air”

Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 March 2014

What a delight to dine in an authentic Moroccan restaurant. The hummus was the best I have ever tasted, all dishes are home made, the ambience is typical Moroccan, service excellent and with a smile. If you have a palate for the flavours of original regional cuisine, then try this place, fragrance of cinnamon and rose water with almonds and apricots abound.
These people should be proud of the dining experience they offer the public in York.
We travelled over 30 miles to find somewhere different to eat and FOUND IT. What a treat well done.
On the down side the restaurant is not in a busy footfall area, it would benefit from relocating to an area that will do it justice, and in an area where the public are educated to enjoy what is on offer.
The last time we enjoyed the benefit of authentic Moroccan without going to Morocco was in London York is lucky, York will benefit from encouraging different dining experiences it offers a new slant on 'going out for a meal'

Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Our friend had been the week prior and really enjoyed his time, and so Tassili came highly recommended. He was part of this visit too. On a very quiet Tuesday we took our seats for a journey through North Africa. You can 'invest' in Algerian wine but it's instead we chose European (half the price). The menu all looks delicious and we settled on some sharing starters and various main courses (one vegetarian). The starters were great including some delicious warm bread. Alas this was the highlight. All three of us were super disappointed with our mains - whilst they looked the part they were really bland. The waiter who served us was friendly, helpful, and professional. In all a bit of a shame.

1  Thank Harbmeister
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Lovely relaxing restaurant. Great decor. Moroccan/North African food. Good choice of dishes. There were 6 of us & everyone seemed happy with their choices. We had 2 courses & that was plenty. Can recommend the lemon sherbet & the tropical juice.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

After visiting Morocco, I never thought I'd be able to taste food that good again without re-visiting the country. Then I came across this restaurant… the food blew my mind. Even the humous was freshly made. You could argue that the beer was slightly expensive, but you expect that in a nice restaurant. Wished I had discovered this place sooner.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We visited this restaurant after reading the great reviews but our experience was pretty average. The smell of incense was a bit too strong in my opinion, it was quite overpowering as we entered the restaurant. The starter was very nice. We had the hummus and bread to share and the bread was lovely and warm with a bit of spice. The main courses were just OK. My boyfriend's grill was a bit dry and my chicken tagine was just lacking in flavour somewhat with too many big chunks of lemon. The wine was cheap and tasted OK, but would have preferred a bit more choice. I wouldn't say it's somewhere you'd go for a special meal even though the decor and setting is very nice.