“We recommend this for a short stay.”

Heworth Court Hotel
Ranked #59 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Wigan,Lancs
“We recommend this for a short stay.”
Reviewed 21 November 2008

A nice hotel overall,our room was lovely as it should have been really as it was one of the more expensive ones.We had one or two minor issues that were sorted out by the staff.The breakfast was really good although we had to wait for almost an hour to be served on our last morning there,there was obviously some problem in the kitchen area,but it wasn't a problem for us as they kepy us well supplied with coffee.
The hotel is on a main road into York,but it is set back and was very quiet,it took us about 15 minutes to walk into the city centre and the free parking was excellent as it could be a problem in such a busy city.
Typical of most hotels I have stayed at in though country though was you had to be down for breakfast by 9.30,which is a bit of a cheek as we were on holiday!Then the checkout time was 10 o'clock,you could extend that to 11.30 but had to pay another tenner for the privilege!I find stuff like that infuriating,they are supposed to be there for our convenience not the other way round.As I say this hotel is certainly not alone in this so I suppose you can't really blame them for getting away with it.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
warrington, England
Reviewed 10 August 2008

Just spent 2 nights at the Heworth Court. I would describe it as average, nothing fancy but not bad.

It actually consists of two properties, Heworth Court and Sutherland house next door but one. From the front they don't look anything special. The reception, bar, lounge and especially the dining room are very olde worlde and quite attractive. It is non-smoking throughout so the atmosphere is pleasant. There are secure, monitored car parks to the rear of both properties and an open one to the front of Sutherland House, which are adequate for the number of rooms, but a little congested. On our first morning I noticed a couple of new chips on my car which lined up perfectly with the doors on the [--] car next to me. so I moved it to Sutherland House which had a little more room.

Our room was a standard and was off the very attractively decorated courtyard. It was quite small and had a musty smell. Tthe carpet was a little grubby especially round the door. The walls and paintwork were in need of re-painting. The wall behind the bed was grubby from greasy heads I assume. The bed was very comfy, the room was quiet and warm. I would describe the decorating as basic. The bathroom had a shower that had quite a small flow but was adequate.

There were a couple of things that were missed by the cleaners, such as a long hair on the bed and others in the cotton wool bowl, which freaked my wife out. The buttons on the bottom of the quilt weren't fastened, the shampoos weren't topped up on the second day. But to be fair we were constantly asked if everything was OK and there was a questionaire, but in true british fashion we kept quiet, I would expect these things to be put right without us asking anyway.

I struggled a little with the breakfast as I don't eat meat, and had to manage with toast, cereal, mushrooms and beans, which to be honest was enough to fill me, but it would have been nice to have an alternative such as hash browns.

The big bonus is the car parking, as it is nightmare for parking in the centre of York. It takes about 15 minutes to walk there. I found the staff to be very friendly and efficient, although I see what other posters mean about their ages, some looked very young.

I looked on the hotel website and assumed that the photos represented the type of room that I booked, but it was nothing like. They must be delux rooms. I also found it to be £20 cheaper booking directly with the hotel by phone rather than some of the well known hotel websites.

In summary, I would use this hotel again, but if someone recommended another I might be tempted to use that one.

• Liked — bed, location and car parking
  • Disliked — room decoration, and lack of veggie breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
aldosmyhero
Reviewed 1 July 2008

My partner and i stayed her for 3 nights and although we found the front of house staff very friendly and warming, we couldnt really give anything else about this such a good review.

The bed had to be the worst i have ever slept in. Far to soft, springs poking out that dig you in the ribs whilst you sleep (when you can eventually get to sleep) and thats just the bed.

At breakfast there was no vegetarian option (just the english breakfast minus the meat), you have to put an order in for the smallest of things like cereal, toast and tea/coffee and orange juice and the dining room lacks any real leadership. I would have to say that the oldest member was the waiting team was about 16.

One plus point i suppose is the free parking. It enables you to park your car up for the duration of your stay and have a trouble free time whilst in York.

• Liked — Owners are so friendly and welcoming.
  • Disliked — The bed, the lack of vegatarian breakfast, check out was at 10am, breakfast was made to be to much of a formal affair.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 20 June 2008

We booked this hotel on the strength of the reviews on this site-we were not disappointed, it was excellent. The room was spotlessly clean and cosy-the hotel is quite old fashioned, but in a nice way. Nothing was too much trouble, the breakfast was very good and we were not short of anything.It was good to have our towels changed daily, instead of the usual hotel requests asking us to respect the environment and use them again-I always feel somewhat suspicious of this and feel a lot of it is down to the hotel saving money and not the environment. They were also very generous with the tea and coffee,whis we generally find hotels to be quite frugal over. We found the free car park very convenient, and it was only a 20 min walk into York,we found it great to leave the car behind and not have to drive, most refreshing. Also on our last day, we were able to leave the car on the car park, so we could spend some more time in York without having to worry about parking again.
We will almost certainly stay there again if ever we return to York.

• Liked — cleanliness and very comfy bed
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
sunderland
Reviewed 26 May 2008

Just came back from 2 night stay.After parking the car in the car park which has cameras and locked gates at night we checked in.The staff were very friendly and welcoming.We were shown our room that was in the annexe part of the hotel outside the room is a lovely suntrap courtyard with plenty of seats and canopies we sat out there on saturday afternoon with a drink from the bar that is open from 11 till 11.Room was big and had a big shower with toilet and basin clean and tidy.Furniture is a little dated but workable.Bed was comfy and we got clean towels the next day.Walk into town is a pleasant 15 minute stroll.this hotel is suitable for disabled as it has ramps front and back.Nice breakfast both mornings.Would visit again and you MUST go to the dungeons if its your 1st time in lovely YORK

• Liked — friedly staff espiecially the man serving the whisky TERRY
  • Disliked — Wardrobe
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 24 April 2008

Surprisingly nice hotel, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. An unprepossessing exterior, inside is clean and old fashioned. A nice courtyard is ideal for a drink in the sun, and my single room was spotless. Service was friendly and I liked the bar. I was there at a very quiet time, but I can highly recommend it (if you don't mind the 5 to 10 minute walk in to town, but you can stop at the river and feed the ducks).

• Liked — clean and cosy
  • Disliked — very early check out time
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
Bedfordshire
Reviewed 5 December 2007

This hotel was good value for what we paid. Special mention for the breakfast, it was delicious and lots of it. The staff are friendly and helpful. The weather was awful and the room was warm and cosy. The only small criticisms are that the room was a bit dated and had a musty smell when the windows were closed. I would recomend the hotel to anyone wanting a convenient sightseeing location close to York city centre (with parking)and a friendly, comfortable atmosphere.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Musty smell in room
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple