“Fantastic staff but no attention to detail.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Judges Lodging

The Judges Lodging
Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in York
Elgin, United Kingdom
“Fantastic staff but no attention to detail.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

We choose the Judges Lodgings as we had attended a function there in the past and knew the hotel has a good reputation and is in a fantastic location. We travelled to York by train so it was perfect for my husband and I as it was close to the station and the centre of York. Booking was easy with fast and friendly communication. The staff are fantastic and really friendly, but you get the impression they are left by the management to cope on their own. The exterior of the hotel is tired, peeling paintwork and grubby garden furniture. Inside is a bit better, but is beginning to look worn and tired as well. The cream carpets are filthy and need steam cleaning, bad choice of colour for communal areas. The stair case to Room 12 was not vacuumed during our 4 day stay. Signage to the rooms and reception are sheets of paper stuck on the walls, not professional. The bedroom was very nice on first appearances. Nice clean bathroom, nice white bedding, solid wood furniture, good entertainment system and great chocolate’s, but... the wardrobe door was broken, we never saw the advertised bathrobes, the toiletries were not restocked during our stay, there is no where to put toiletries whilst showering, the towel rail was coming away from the wall and has interesting holes around its pipe work. Facecloths in the bathroom would have been a nice little touch. The towels were only changed on day three because I dumped them in the bath. The cream carpet was marked, the room wasn’t dusted during our four day stay, and we found pigeon muck on the internal windowsills, despite having not opened the window during our stay, so how long had it been there? On returning to our room each morning after breakfast we would open the blinds in the corridors, this really should have been done by the housekeeping staff. Come to think of it we never saw any housekeeping staff.
We ventured to the Cellar Bar on the first afternoon and I was horrified by the filthy toilets. They had not been cleaned in weeks. This is not what you expect in a good quality hotel bar. I was so horrified I filed a written compliant with reception straight away and assumed I would hear from the management prior to our departure, I have, to date, not heard from them.
Breakfast was interesting to say the least. Day one the only fault was the sausages on my cooked breakfast, they were hard and had obviously spend time on a hot plate. My husband had anexcellent Eggs Benedict. Day two, the Eggs Benedict had lumpy Hollandaise sauce that looked like the left over’s of an earlier order. Day three, Sunday, no pastries, no Eggs Benedict, waitress said she wasn’t sure if the chef could poach and egg, and he obviously couldn’t as I ended up with fried eggs. The bacon was hard and cold, the black pudding was cremated and the tomato was half cooked. The waitress said the ‘normal’ chef wasn’t in that morning. My husband lucked in and had scrambled eggs cooked to perfection. Day four inspired by the previous day I ordered scrambled eggs and bacon. The bacon this time was perfect, the scrambled eggs was a microwave rubbery blob served with all the finesse of a works canteen. So as you can see Breakfast ranged from good to bad to ugly. The table setting never included side plates for toast and the staff failed to clear the cereal bowls prior to serving the cooked breakfasts. One customer gave up trying to get poached eggs on toast and walked out. On a positive note the breakfast room was light and airy, the classical FM playing in the background was a nice touch and the waitress’s were really nice and friendly.
Would I recommend the hotel to friends? That’s difficult, on location, friendliness of staff, rooms yes, but no, when considering all the other things. The rooms are not cheap and if this hotel wishes to continue charging these price’s they need to raise their standards, provide the items mentioned on the website, make sure the rooms are cleaned, pay attention to the little details, have continuity in quality of food and it could be a truly wonderful hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhotoG127
JudgesGeneralManager, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this review, 11 April 2011
Thank you for taking time to review your stay, I am the new General Manager at the Judges Lodgings Hotel, I am sorry to hear that your stay was unsatisfactory.

I can assure you that new procedures have been put in place, staff have been put through new training regimes to make sure nothing like this happens again.

I have personally employed a new chef that has worked in a pub/restaurant that has recieved neumourous awards including michelin stars. The breakfast menu has been revamped and all food in the bar and hotel is to a very high standard.

I would really like to speak to you personally about your stay and discuss matters further, please feel free to ring me on 01904 638733 or email me at info@judgeslodgings.com

Warmest Regards,

John Dobson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

First of all getting to the hotel in a car was not fun driving through the very busy pedestrian area full of shoppers was hard work, then the "carpark" which was more of leave your car when ever you can on the hotel grounds, was very small and a tight fit although I was driving a big car (a8).

Climbing up the stairs and then going into the hotel reception we where greeted by the receptionist an Australian lady. She talked about the carpark outside saying that due to it being so small the car would no doubt end up being blocked in and I would have to leave my car keys at reception during our stay which I wasn't very happy about.

She then shown us up to our room there was a heavy soiled cream carpet which for first impressions put off the hotel straight away. We walked up the spiral staircase to our room (room 3) she shown us around our room and left us the key which had a huge key ring on it, she said on leaving te hotel we had to give the key into reception for security reasons.

The room was spotless mirrors and all surfaces smudge free. Everything worked tv kettle and the radio which had a iPod connection so could charge my iPhone. For everyone who said they couldn't find the full length mirror it's on the back of the wardrobe door! Our room over looked the rear of the hotel where the outside seating area was if it was the summer I'm guessing it would of been quite busy and noisy. We had views of the Minster cathedral which of a night looked amazing.

The bathroom was spotless the twin ended jacuzzi bath was huge and very nice! The "rainshower" was what looked to me a normal shower with a large shower head that had a option that said rain?? Nothing special really!

Noise. You can here the bells of the minister and odd few times the bar downstairs emptied bottles into the bin but wouldn't complain about it.

We had breakfast in bed which was very nice everything was hot and tasty!

Staff where very helpful and as I've said room was very clean.

Would we stay there again? Probably not ONLY down to the price it's just not worth it your paying for the location it's right bang in the middle of everything 10 out of 10 for location I highly doubt you'd do better.

• Stayed March 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JudgesGeneralManager, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this review, 14 April 2011
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel.

Thanks to your comments I have put new procedures in place to stop some of these problems in future.

House-keeping staff have been trained and we have purchased a steam carpet cleaner, I can assure you all carpeted areas are now immaculate.

We now limit the number of cars to only 4 in busy periods to stop any cars been blocked in.

Keys are still left on reception, the only reason for this is that if there was an emergency we could easily move the cars for the emergency services.

The Judges Lodgings building has been in York for 300 years, access then was probably slightly easier than it is now, and this is mainly due to all the shops and other buildings that have popped up over the centuries. We feel this adds to the unique experience at our hotel. There is no other hotel that has a more central location in York.

I am also glad you found the full length mirror, discreetly placed in each wardrobe.

Once again thank you for your review, if you do come back to York, please contact me personally to discuss a discounted rate.

Warm Regards

John Dobson
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2011

We were looking for a stylish base for a city break and are suckers for anything Georgian. As always, trying to find twin rooms proved to be a nightmare, but the Judges Lodgings came up trumps! The twin room was booked so we opted for 2 singles and the family suite. The latter was great as it had dividing double doors and a very comfortable sofa bed. All the rooms were beautifully furnished in crisp linen and dark wood furniture - the sleigh bed in the family suite could have slept 4! Nothing chintzy or OTT, just very good quality. The bathrooms are all of a high quality too, limestone and underfloor heating - mmm...

As for the location, I don't think it could have been topped. It's about 2 minutes walk from St Helen's Square - where Betty's is - which was great to drop off shopping or nip back and change shoes. Because it has a rather grand entrance area, it's surprisingly quiet apart from the 4.45am recycling dumping on Sunday morning. Also you do hear the Minster bells if you're on that side of the hotel, but with gorgeous rooftop views it's a small price to pay.

The staff - mostly Antipodean it would seem - are lovely and couldn't be more helpful in directing us to restaurants, storing luggage and ordering taxis. The only slight irritation was their treating our entire party as gluten and dairy-free, rather than by person. Just because we're friends doesn't mean we have to eat exactly the same too!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elizabeth_Darcy
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

We stayed here due to the location and it really was perfect - near, the station but inside the walls of York so right on top of all the local sights and shops. The staff couldn't have been more helpful or friendly and nothing was too much effort. If you are not fit/able to walk up stairs, it could be a problem as its a tall building and we were on the top floor. The rooms are a little pricey for a four star townhouse which is basically a B&B but they were spotlessly clean with fabulous beds and really luxurious bathrooms, most with spa bath. The breakfast was spot on (previous reviews had us worried but the breakfast both days was excellent and served very quickly), with a great choice of hot food, seasonal berries, pastries and cereals. The bar underneath was really just a pub and unless you just wanted a quick pub grub type meal, I would only go there for a drink - its a shame as its very atmospheric, but in reality probably has to cater for the student trade most of the time. If you want a meal, there are loads of much better places to go in York, Cafe No. 8 being fairlyclose and very very good.

Would we go back, yes, could they improve things again yes...making the reception floor a little more cozy for drinks/afternoon tea would be one ideal - the dining room is very functional and could be made a little more inviting. I for one would have loved for the cellar area to be a wine/bar or trattoria - there seems to be enough demand in York for good bars and restaurants.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2011

Staff are A1 and the room was large and well-equipped, if a little hot. Very good location to see the city and easy walk from the station. Cannot really fault it but don't pay the full price which would have been too high.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2011

Stayed 1 night in room 2, with the poster bed. Rooms was very good size, lovely bathroom with the zacuzzi as advertised.However, in a room that is priced at almost £300 per night i was surprised to find certain things lacking. No minibar, No full length mirror ( despite claim all rooms have one),No robe hangers in bathroom, No shower tray in shower cubicle. On the point of the shower the room is advertised as having a "rainshower" I do not know about other rooms,but room 2 DOESNOT have a rainshower it has a power shower quite a different thing.

Massive bed but only 4 pillows in the room, no doubt i could have asked formore but didnt really notice until late at night and could not be bothered by then, i would have expected to find more pillows in the wardrobe.NO stationary in a luxury hotel, i had to goto reception for a pen to fill out my breakfast order in the room.

Had breakfast served in the room and found that to be very nice, room layout wasn't great for eating and maybe a little thought with regards to furniture locations could fix this minor problem.

With regards to the staff, the 2 female members of staff ( both Australian ),could not have been nicer, always a beautiful smile and happy to help. Only saw 1 other,male,member of staff and i have to say he had a pretty scruffy look about him and felt he let the other staff members down by his appearance.

The real problem i have with this hotel is not the fault of the hotel at all but concerns the local bar owner who seems to get some perverse pleasure out of making asmuch noise as possible, throwing bottles into a bin, opening and slamming a metal door about 20 times upto 1am, keeping both ,myself and my wife, awake. I really would advise the management of the Judges Lodgings to take this up with their local authority as his actions are the sole reason i would not recommend this hotel to anyone even at the excellent winter rate.

In short, a nice hotel that could and should have been great with a little more thought, lovely female staff and in a perfect location.Ruined by the actions of a thoughtless local bar owner at the back of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Demgee
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

We booked a room for the night as a gift for my Mother and Father- in -law, on the occasion of their Golden Wedding. I initially emailed the staff asking for information. I did this early on a Sunday evening and received a reply within two hours. My Husband booked the hotel by phone and found the staff couldn't have been more helpful.
My Parents-in-Law enjoyed a wonderful stay. Staff were extremely helpful and the room was beautiful- they couldn't speak too highly of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple