“Top Location, period-style, luxurious experience”
Review of The Judges Lodging

The Judges Lodging
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in York
Melbourne, Australia
“Top Location, period-style, luxurious experience”
Reviewed 29 April 2011

If you want to stay right in the heart of York and want a more intimate, character-filled experience then this hotel is the one! We have tried other accommodation in York but this was everything we were hoping for. Our well-appointed room on the 3rd floor was very special:Rooftop views towards Yorkminster Cathedral, an amazing bathroom, very comfy bed and excellent acoustics. (We couldn't even hear the ghost in the next room!). Room service was available but we enjoyed having our breakfast downstairs with the friendly staff. This hotel is opposite the famous Betty's tearooms and you can walk to everything! The cellar bar is a good spot to have an ale or two at the end of a day of sight-seeing and on-site parking means you don't have to worry about where to park (A big plus as parks are at a premium everywhere in York)

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WLB_11
JudgesGeneralManager, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this review, 18 May 2011
Thank you for the review, I am glad you enjoyed our friendly relaxed atmosphere; we do try our up most to be unobtrusive to guests and really just make them feel at home.

Once again thank you for your review, I hope you will come and stop with us again in the future.

Enjoy the rest of your travels

From all at the staff at the JudgesLodgings

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2011

We stayed for the weekend. The hotel is wonderful, the staff friendly and the room was excellent. We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lynn0468
JudgesGeneralManager, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this review, 28 April 2011
Thank you very much for your review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay

I hope your husband didn’t indulge too much on all the real ales there was on offer.

If you decide to come to York again please contact us and we will give you a great discount off your next stay with us.

Im sure next time no phone directions will be needed and you will breeze to the Hotel

Warm Regards,

UK
Reviewed 23 April 2011

I stayed here for one night as a 'trip down memory lane' for myself. I was at college in York in the 1980s and had enjoyed walking past the Judges Lodging hotel and thinking that one day I'd stay there! Unsure who owned it then but mainly remember the notice board outside the hotel on the railings which was very plush looking and had proper, elegant photographs with descriptions of the interior. Must admit was a bit disappointed at the current board which could do with perhaps a bit more attention to detail..first impressions do count. Felt a sheet of paper with pictures not quite worthy of such a lovely building.
Check in was simple although was expecting a 'proper' reception desk but this turned out to be a side room office! Staff all very friendly but again was not quite what I was expecting....very young staff who were more than efficient but somehow didn't quite look the part in their casual clothes. Perhaps I'm too old fashioned but did expect something more formal in keeping with the look and tone of the beautiful hotel. Room 14 was perfect- clean, fully fitted (and very wam!) bathroom with jacuzzi bath which added to the luxury. Must say 10 out of 10 for the bathroom! My bed was very comfortable and loved the sash cord window even though looked out over various back yards! Could see top of York Minster though which was a nice feature and slept with window wide open (no worries there as vertical drop below and some kind of spikey things along window ledge). Very quiet had it not been for local craftsman repairing something until midnight..lots of hammering but that was no fault of hotel and probably a one off. No noise from bars or people..in fact wondered if I was only one staying in hotel at one point was so quiet! Room was fine and had a nice feel to it. tea/hot drinks available to make if I had wished. Nothing else in room however...all drawers empty..not even a pen or laundry bag. Nice gesture of a welcome letter on my pillow as I arrived and 'someone' did a turn down service while I was out in the evening, with friends, as had chocolates on my pillow and bathroom had been neatened up. Ordered breakfast in bed as a treat but wouldn't recommend as cooked breakfast a bit dry and sausages fatty....wouldn't say it was the best breakfast I've ever had but not the worst. Complimentary newspaper of my choice was a nice touch. Overall the hotel was fine..just a bit sparce on those little extras...corridors a bit plain, lounge area could do with a few more antiques or such, bar area next to breakfast bar didn't look used giving a bit of an out of season feel.
Front of hotel outdoor seating area was lovely with small fountain and very popular with non residents...hard to get a table. It was a mini heatwave though so everyone out and about. Good vantage point for sitting in the sun..not that many bars in surrounding area had this by the way! The bar downstairs needed a bit of a revamp on the seating..could be a real gem but vinyl type seats didn't appeal to me.. Wonder if there is a real fire anywhere in hotel as that would be a great feature.
I'd certainly go again but noticed in the hotel literature that many famous people have stayed there over time.....maybe a few more finishing touches would help make it a perfect place to stay as there are too many 'chain' hotels' and this offers something unique and individual. It is certainly heading in the right direction and has plenty of history on its side which is in keeping with historical York.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Hughesfour
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I am so glad that you still think about the building even after all this time. I must personally apologise for the boards at the front gates, we are currently in the middle of producing some new posters for the boards, and they are currently at the printers, along with the staff uniforms and stationary for the rooms. These matters have been addressed and will be rectified soon.

In your review you say there is no reception desk, there is actually a desk where guests check in and out in the main reception area, this is supposed to be discreet to give the area a light, airy and friendly open feel and not be over run by the electric devises and cumbersome desks found in many other hotel receptions.

I have passed on your comments to the reception staff about how you think they look young. They told me to thank you personally for thinking so. One of the girls is 18 but has been with us as a trainee since she was 16. The other girls are in there mid 20`s.

All staff have been fully trained, so I take pride in your comments saying they are "more than efficient"
I am happy that you felt so safe in your room, the "spiky things” on your window ledge are not to deter trespassers, but to prevent the pigeons from roosting on your window ledge. If you look around York most buildings have them everywhere for the same reason.

The hotel went through an extensive yet sympathetic refurbishment last year, this year it is the turn of the bar, the plans are there to bring the standard of the bar to a par with the hotel. The refurbishment to the bar is scheduled for after the summer.

I am personally striving to keep the hotel improving, avoiding many aspects of the larger chain hotels is imperative for me. We are a unique and individual hotel, with a strong family ethos and are very proud of this.

Once again thank you for you review, if you return to York, please do not hesitate to contact us and ask for me personally for a great discount off your next stay at The Judges Lodgings Hotel

Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2011

I stayed one night at The Judges Lodgings after a night out with friends in York. The hotel is quite stunning to look at and upon entering, the staff were friendly, polite and very helpful. Set in a central location I was not disappointed when I reached my room - it was beautifully appointed with a huge comfortable bed complete with crisp white linens and masses of pillows. The bathroom was splendid with a power shower, whirlpool bath and big soft fluffy white towels - I slept through the night and had a delicious cooked breakfast the next morning served by happy smiling staff. I would recommend the Judges Lodgings to anyone and everyone who wishes to stay in York and be treated to luxury.

Room Tip: Fantastic cellar bar for a nightcap or two!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank TiggyP1969
JudgesGeneralManager, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this review, 11 April 2011
Thank you for the review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay at The Judges Lodgings . We feel our Hotel is unique, and offers customers a service that is friendly and personal to each individuals needs.

Feel free to contact me personally to discuss discounted tariffs for your next visit to York

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2011

Having stayed at this hotel some 8 years ago, my wife and I had always said we would return. We had a special birthday to celebrate, which called for a special hotel stay. Having made some enquiries about this hotel, I found out that it had been renovated and was now operating fully. Since we last stayed there, it has been refurbished to a high standard. All the rooms inlcude new jaccuzi baths and showers. The hotel has been re-decorated throughout to an excellent standard, and we could not fault the service received.The staff were very attentive, but only when required.The receptionists were very polite when we arrived, and throughout our stay. The standard of food was very good. Booking my reservation online was easy. Staying at Judges Lodgings is a unique experiance, which offers everything you would ever want whilst staying in York.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
JudgesGeneralManager, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this review, 14 April 2011
Thank you very much for the review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you had a safe trip back up North.

It was a very pleasant surprise to see your wife later in the week with the photos of the hotel she took when you stayed 8 years ago. I could not believe the transformation from the rooms then to what they are like now.

I am looking forward to seeing you again soon. Please contact me personally when you choose to return to York.

It was also good to meet your son, wish him well from me personally, and good luck in his new career.

Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2011

We choose the Judges Lodgings as we had attended a function there in the past and knew the hotel has a good reputation and is in a fantastic location. We travelled to York by train so it was perfect for my husband and I as it was close to the station and the centre of York. Booking was easy with fast and friendly communication. The staff are fantastic and really friendly, but you get the impression they are left by the management to cope on their own. The exterior of the hotel is tired, peeling paintwork and grubby garden furniture. Inside is a bit better, but is beginning to look worn and tired as well. The cream carpets are filthy and need steam cleaning, bad choice of colour for communal areas. The stair case to Room 12 was not vacuumed during our 4 day stay. Signage to the rooms and reception are sheets of paper stuck on the walls, not professional. The bedroom was very nice on first appearances. Nice clean bathroom, nice white bedding, solid wood furniture, good entertainment system and great chocolate’s, but... the wardrobe door was broken, we never saw the advertised bathrobes, the toiletries were not restocked during our stay, there is no where to put toiletries whilst showering, the towel rail was coming away from the wall and has interesting holes around its pipe work. Facecloths in the bathroom would have been a nice little touch. The towels were only changed on day three because I dumped them in the bath. The cream carpet was marked, the room wasn’t dusted during our four day stay, and we found pigeon muck on the internal windowsills, despite having not opened the window during our stay, so how long had it been there? On returning to our room each morning after breakfast we would open the blinds in the corridors, this really should have been done by the housekeeping staff. Come to think of it we never saw any housekeeping staff.
We ventured to the Cellar Bar on the first afternoon and I was horrified by the filthy toilets. They had not been cleaned in weeks. This is not what you expect in a good quality hotel bar. I was so horrified I filed a written compliant with reception straight away and assumed I would hear from the management prior to our departure, I have, to date, not heard from them.
Breakfast was interesting to say the least. Day one the only fault was the sausages on my cooked breakfast, they were hard and had obviously spend time on a hot plate. My husband had anexcellent Eggs Benedict. Day two, the Eggs Benedict had lumpy Hollandaise sauce that looked like the left over’s of an earlier order. Day three, Sunday, no pastries, no Eggs Benedict, waitress said she wasn’t sure if the chef could poach and egg, and he obviously couldn’t as I ended up with fried eggs. The bacon was hard and cold, the black pudding was cremated and the tomato was half cooked. The waitress said the ‘normal’ chef wasn’t in that morning. My husband lucked in and had scrambled eggs cooked to perfection. Day four inspired by the previous day I ordered scrambled eggs and bacon. The bacon this time was perfect, the scrambled eggs was a microwave rubbery blob served with all the finesse of a works canteen. So as you can see Breakfast ranged from good to bad to ugly. The table setting never included side plates for toast and the staff failed to clear the cereal bowls prior to serving the cooked breakfasts. One customer gave up trying to get poached eggs on toast and walked out. On a positive note the breakfast room was light and airy, the classical FM playing in the background was a nice touch and the waitress’s were really nice and friendly.
Would I recommend the hotel to friends? That’s difficult, on location, friendliness of staff, rooms yes, but no, when considering all the other things. The rooms are not cheap and if this hotel wishes to continue charging these price’s they need to raise their standards, provide the items mentioned on the website, make sure the rooms are cleaned, pay attention to the little details, have continuity in quality of food and it could be a truly wonderful hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhotoG127
Thank you for taking time to review your stay, I am the new General Manager at the Judges Lodgings Hotel, I am sorry to hear that your stay was unsatisfactory.

I can assure you that new procedures have been put in place, staff have been put through new training regimes to make sure nothing like this happens again.

I have personally employed a new chef that has worked in a pub/restaurant that has recieved neumourous awards including michelin stars. The breakfast menu has been revamped and all food in the bar and hotel is to a very high standard.

I would really like to speak to you personally about your stay and discuss matters further, please feel free to ring me on 01904 638733 or email me at info@judgeslodgings.com

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 20 March 2011

First of all getting to the hotel in a car was not fun driving through the very busy pedestrian area full of shoppers was hard work, then the "carpark" which was more of leave your car when ever you can on the hotel grounds, was very small and a tight fit although I was driving a big car (a8).

Climbing up the stairs and then going into the hotel reception we where greeted by the receptionist an Australian lady. She talked about the carpark outside saying that due to it being so small the car would no doubt end up being blocked in and I would have to leave my car keys at reception during our stay which I wasn't very happy about.

She then shown us up to our room there was a heavy soiled cream carpet which for first impressions put off the hotel straight away. We walked up the spiral staircase to our room (room 3) she shown us around our room and left us the key which had a huge key ring on it, she said on leaving te hotel we had to give the key into reception for security reasons.

The room was spotless mirrors and all surfaces smudge free. Everything worked tv kettle and the radio which had a iPod connection so could charge my iPhone. For everyone who said they couldn't find the full length mirror it's on the back of the wardrobe door! Our room over looked the rear of the hotel where the outside seating area was if it was the summer I'm guessing it would of been quite busy and noisy. We had views of the Minster cathedral which of a night looked amazing.

The bathroom was spotless the twin ended jacuzzi bath was huge and very nice! The "rainshower" was what looked to me a normal shower with a large shower head that had a option that said rain?? Nothing special really!

Noise. You can here the bells of the minister and odd few times the bar downstairs emptied bottles into the bin but wouldn't complain about it.

We had breakfast in bed which was very nice everything was hot and tasty!

Staff where very helpful and as I've said room was very clean.

Would we stay there again? Probably not ONLY down to the price it's just not worth it your paying for the location it's right bang in the middle of everything 10 out of 10 for location I highly doubt you'd do better.

• Stayed March 2011
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel.

Thanks to your comments I have put new procedures in place to stop some of these problems in future.

House-keeping staff have been trained and we have purchased a steam carpet cleaner, I can assure you all carpeted areas are now immaculate.

We now limit the number of cars to only 4 in busy periods to stop any cars been blocked in.

Keys are still left on reception, the only reason for this is that if there was an emergency we could easily move the cars for the emergency services.

The Judges Lodgings building has been in York for 300 years, access then was probably slightly easier than it is now, and this is mainly due to all the shops and other buildings that have popped up over the centuries. We feel this adds to the unique experience at our hotel. There is no other hotel that has a more central location in York.

I am also glad you found the full length mirror, discreetly placed in each wardrobe.

Once again thank you for your review, if you do come back to York, please contact me personally to discuss a discounted rate.