“very charming and elegant in the midst of the hustle and bustle of York!!”
Review of The Judges Lodging

The Judges Lodging
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in York
mirfield
“very charming and elegant in the midst of the hustle and bustle of York!!”
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I booked this hotel to spend some time with my 11 year old daughter before she went back to school after the Christmas holiday. I had no idea how beautiful it was when I booked it but when we got there and a realised exactly where it was and how beautiful it was we were amazed.

The room didn't disappoint either - we had room 10 a twin room with jacuzzi which was lovely.

I had read somewhere about occasional noise from the bars etc but to be honest apart from the occasional bottle smashing into a bin and a very low hum of traffic it was not a problem at all and much better than I would have expected from a very centrally located hotel.

The breakfast was fabulous and truly set up you up for the day - we didn't eat until the evening meal then - and all served in a lovely ambient dining room with classical music playing in the background. The staff were always delighted to see you and were very friendly and happy.

It was a lovely experience to share with my daughter and my husband was very disappointed to miss out but I am sure we will be making a visit there again - and this time we might even take him along !!!

It is a hidden gem that doesn't seem to be available on many of the normal hotel booking sites so I am not sure where their clientele come from - probably York tourist board but it really needs to shout a little louder about the lovely experience ti can offer you!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MirfieldSallie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2011

After having stayed in Room 6 on the night of Friday 16th of December 20011, I filled out the form asking for comments, left my bag with Sophie the lovely Hotel Manager and went shopping in York. A couple of hours later, I was sitting by the river with a pint and got this reply from her by email on my mobile.

"Thank you very much for leaving behind your comments and suggestions sheet. We greatly value the opinions and points made by our guests in paper form and on Trip Advisor as we strive to continually improve our service and deliver a great all round experience.

I apologise for the maintenance issues found in your Room 6. It is very helpful to be informed of these in order that we can sort them as quickly as possible, such as the loose window latch and missing draw handle. I am sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced and our lack of attention to detail.

I have noted your suggestion of making some clearer instructions for the Jacuzzi bath which can be added into our guest information pack as a help for future guests to avoid more soap sud explosions!

Out of your points made, I am most embarrassed that you found an open Trebor mint packet by the radio... It takes away the pleasure in staying in a hotel when remnants of past guests are left lying about. I must mention that this is a very rare occurrence within this hotel due to the perfectionist nature of our housekeepers and apologise to you that on this occasion we have let you down".

On a Friday night, Room Six at Judges Lodges retails at £225 a night. I didn't pay that, but many others will.

As someone who has stayed in many hotels across the world and was married to a hotel manager for ten years, I have some understanding of what is required at various price points.

Make no mistake.This is an exceptional hotel. From the totally female front-of-house staff, through the remarkable ambiance and quality of the place to the fabulous food, The Judges Lodgings in York is a fine place to stay.

Here's a tip. Get up to have breakfast in a hotel. You'll have a better experience and the staff will appreciate you too.

Let me state this. I have not had a better hotel breakfast anywhere. Delicious. The service and food was exemplary. I was first down at just after 8am on the Saturday and I sat alone in complete bliss. The food provided was exactly what was required. I liked the understated but attentive service and the cooked breakfast (particularly the sausages) got 5 stars.

The room however let it down (see above).

You feel cossetted in such a central location of one of the finest cities in England, if not the World. Views of The Minster. A King size bed. Quiet and luxurious. But the bathroom in Room Six has an alarming crack in the wall running the entire length of the room - and this from a hotel which boasts it has had a recent, massive refurbishment?

I ordered a Telegraph. It came at 8am. But it was complimentary and appreciated.

They will charge you £10 to park your car overnight and you will have to give them your keys so they can move it in your absence in their tiny car park should it be required. I think not. There is York Railway Station a few minutes walk away, so why drive anyway?

To sum up, I feel the good Dr. Wintringham (1689-1747/8) who abilities paid for the construction of this Grade 1 C17 York Townhouse would be more than a little concerned his C21 guests were being more than a little short-changed in some areas.

The upper rooms were servants quarters in times past and I got a mixed feeling there too.

I felt his ghost brush past me on the staircase in disgust, much as I felt they would have had.

I explored the cellar bar area briefly. It very much depends on the time you do it and the people you are with. It was designed to be a cellar to keep things cool before fridges. Not people.

I shall return as am curious what improvements they may make.

Room Tip: Go for a view of The Minster. You will have to stoop in Room 6 though.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Martin A
Glasgow
Reviewed 16 December 2011

It would have served me right if this had all gone wrong. I chose it for no other reason than my own job. I wanted to see what an English judge's circuit lodging might have looked like in the earlier part of the century. I need not have worried. If you visit York without a car, this is where you want to stay. If you visit York with a car, even chauffeur driven, this is where you want to stay. A great number of significant attractions are within walking distance as are a number of very good restaurants. It is quaint and very comfortable, the breakfast excellent and the location perfect. There is so much to see in the city it is impossible to fit it in in three days which is what my wife and I had allowed. Generally we found the people of York delightful but our stay was made perfect by the choice of hostelry. I doubt if you will find a more pleasant, helpful and considerate bunch than the team at Judges Lodgings. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sheriffb
Guiseley
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We had pre-booked a table in the cellar bar on colleagues advice as we had arranged to meet friends in York for Christmas Shopping on the Saturday . As expected York was very busy so close to Christmas. I suspected something was wrong when we walked in as the bar was virtually empty at 1pm. We were expecting a menu choice of home cooked food as promised when the table had been booked a few days earlier. What we were presented with was a very limited sandwich menu with an option for pie and peas. The staff said we should have been told this when we booked as they had a wedding on in the main hotel. We were not told this and to cap it all the ladies toilets for the bar were in a disgraceful state. The staff response to our question on this was that they could not do anything about the condition of the toilets it and that the management upstairs had been informed of this following complaints from other customers. Needless to say we walked out without buying any drinks or food and we have no intention of returning if this is how they treat customers.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank PCG57
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2011

My sisters and I stayed at this beautiful hotel in November. The staff were extremely friendly and so helpful. The accommodation was first class and our suite was extremely well appointed down to even a Jacussi bath. The hotel is so close to many of the sights in York and there are a couple of great restaurants very close by. Thank you so much for making our stay so memorable. We will be back again and recommend you to all.

Room Tip: No lift at hotel so make sure you exactly specify your requirements
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Leeds
Reviewed 4 December 2011

A fantastic standard room, with space, views, a bed, a bathroom and in particularly a jacuzzi bath that all were far from "standard". The hotel staff were great; genuinely proud of their hotel and warmly friendly without a hint of pretence. Everything sparkling clean. The breakfast, delivered to the room at short notice, was delicious.

The cellar bar is a welcome bolt-hole from the packed and popular local alternatives. The staff equally as welcoming, with a great range of drinks and an upbeat, cosy atmosphere. The only let down was absolutely grotty bathrooms - a stark contrast from the amazing hotel upstairs. It was the smallest blemish on an otherwise amazing weekend.

We'll be back. Probably quite a lot!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
DC
Reviewed 24 November 2011

We were in Room 5 on the second floor of the main house and had a great view of the nearby Minster over the rooftops. Quite scenic, but even more impressive than the rooms and the views was the service. Seldom have we ever come across a staff so pleasant, professional and accommodating. Kudos to all. And least I forget --- the location was perfect. Part of the "old town" of York, you're in the middle of everthing.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple