“Wow - had a fabulous weekend and staff were incredible - thanks”
Review of The Judges Lodging

The Judges Lodging
Ranked #11 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Arrived in the afternoon so I could get my things in the room and make it look special for when I brought my boyfriend there after work for a birthday weekend. There was snow on the ground and it looked so pretty with the double stairs and then the twinling lights down the balustrades. From the moment I arrived, i was helped to get all my bags and belongings out of the car and taken to my room. Room 6 with a fantastic view of the minster and that bathroom is really special with a step up to a very large jacuzzi bath. I decorated the bed with rose petals and asked if I could have an ice bucket to cool the champagne I had bought. By the time I got back - the champagne was on ice and ready to drink. The room was warm and so cosy. Again, a taxi was booked for us to take us to our restaurant and we went out for a lovely meal. We walked back and into the entrance hall with the fire lit and welcoming. Slept well and it was very quiet and then went down for breakfast. This was exceptional wiht lots of choice - I had Eggs Hollondaise the first morning and scrambled eggs and salmon on the Sunday morning. The fruits and yoghourt and pastries were also wonderful. As it was Valentine's weekend - we were given a lovely bunch of roses that were laid on the bed and it was such a nice touch. I have to say that it was a really wonderful weekend and just what I wanted for a romantic break. The staff are incredible and my special thanks for all those extra touches. I hope to make this an annual visit and wish the hotel all the very best and maybe come and visit the Cellar Bar after it's refurb.

Room Tip: Room 6 is amazing - view of Minster is so lovely at night and the bathroom is just great.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohanneWalters

Reviewed 1 February 2012

My daughter and I have recently spent the weekend in York staying at the Judges Lodgings Hotel. We couldnt have chosen a better hotel.The staff were all very friendly and helpful..The hotel itself was very elegant.
The customer service was second to none,before,during and after our stay. unfortunately my daughter had inadvertantly left her phone charger in the room but they forwarded it to her promptly .Thanks Sophie /Megan!
Our room was fantastic, a huge comfy four poster bed,and a jaccuzi bath and to top it off a view of the Minster.
Everywhere was immaculate.The breakfast was excellent,very tasty,compliments to the chef!!We would most certainly reccomend a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank jennyb735
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed here for two nights in January with my partner, amazing!

Ideal location, fantastic décor, wonderful staff and the hotel it'self is superb!

All facilities you would expect of any modern hotel, but with that little touch of class!

Rooms very spacious, comfortable beds, bright and clean, cant get better.

Special thanks to Megan, Sophie and Andrew the General Manager for giving us a show round, a shame the Cellar Bar was closed for refurbishment but that is only an excuse to return here again in the future and experience it!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of York Minster!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andrew N
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I booked this hotel to spend some time with my 11 year old daughter before she went back to school after the Christmas holiday. I had no idea how beautiful it was when I booked it but when we got there and a realised exactly where it was and how beautiful it was we were amazed.

The room didn't disappoint either - we had room 10 a twin room with jacuzzi which was lovely.

I had read somewhere about occasional noise from the bars etc but to be honest apart from the occasional bottle smashing into a bin and a very low hum of traffic it was not a problem at all and much better than I would have expected from a very centrally located hotel.

The breakfast was fabulous and truly set up you up for the day - we didn't eat until the evening meal then - and all served in a lovely ambient dining room with classical music playing in the background. The staff were always delighted to see you and were very friendly and happy.

It was a lovely experience to share with my daughter and my husband was very disappointed to miss out but I am sure we will be making a visit there again - and this time we might even take him along !!!

It is a hidden gem that doesn't seem to be available on many of the normal hotel booking sites so I am not sure where their clientele come from - probably York tourist board but it really needs to shout a little louder about the lovely experience ti can offer you!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank MirfieldSallie
Reviewed 20 December 2011

After having stayed in Room 6 on the night of Friday 16th of December 20011, I filled out the form asking for comments, left my bag with Sophie the lovely Hotel Manager and went shopping in York. A couple of hours later, I was sitting by the river with a pint and got this reply from her by email on my mobile.

"Thank you very much for leaving behind your comments and suggestions sheet. We greatly value the opinions and points made by our guests in paper form and on Trip Advisor as we strive to continually improve our service and deliver a great all round experience.

I apologise for the maintenance issues found in your Room 6. It is very helpful to be informed of these in order that we can sort them as quickly as possible, such as the loose window latch and missing draw handle. I am sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced and our lack of attention to detail.

I have noted your suggestion of making some clearer instructions for the Jacuzzi bath which can be added into our guest information pack as a help for future guests to avoid more soap sud explosions!

Out of your points made, I am most embarrassed that you found an open Trebor mint packet by the radio... It takes away the pleasure in staying in a hotel when remnants of past guests are left lying about. I must mention that this is a very rare occurrence within this hotel due to the perfectionist nature of our housekeepers and apologise to you that on this occasion we have let you down".

On a Friday night, Room Six at Judges Lodges retails at £225 a night. I didn't pay that, but many others will.

As someone who has stayed in many hotels across the world and was married to a hotel manager for ten years, I have some understanding of what is required at various price points.

Make no mistake.This is an exceptional hotel. From the totally female front-of-house staff, through the remarkable ambiance and quality of the place to the fabulous food, The Judges Lodgings in York is a fine place to stay.

Here's a tip. Get up to have breakfast in a hotel. You'll have a better experience and the staff will appreciate you too.

Let me state this. I have not had a better hotel breakfast anywhere. Delicious. The service and food was exemplary. I was first down at just after 8am on the Saturday and I sat alone in complete bliss. The food provided was exactly what was required. I liked the understated but attentive service and the cooked breakfast (particularly the sausages) got 5 stars.

The room however let it down (see above).

You feel cossetted in such a central location of one of the finest cities in England, if not the World. Views of The Minster. A King size bed. Quiet and luxurious. But the bathroom in Room Six has an alarming crack in the wall running the entire length of the room - and this from a hotel which boasts it has had a recent, massive refurbishment?

I ordered a Telegraph. It came at 8am. But it was complimentary and appreciated.

They will charge you £10 to park your car overnight and you will have to give them your keys so they can move it in your absence in their tiny car park should it be required. I think not. There is York Railway Station a few minutes walk away, so why drive anyway?

To sum up, I feel the good Dr. Wintringham (1689-1747/8) who abilities paid for the construction of this Grade 1 C17 York Townhouse would be more than a little concerned his C21 guests were being more than a little short-changed in some areas.

The upper rooms were servants quarters in times past and I got a mixed feeling there too.

I felt his ghost brush past me on the staircase in disgust, much as I felt they would have had.

I explored the cellar bar area briefly. It very much depends on the time you do it and the people you are with. It was designed to be a cellar to keep things cool before fridges. Not people.

I shall return as am curious what improvements they may make.

Room Tip: Go for a view of The Minster. You will have to stoop in Room 6 though.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Martin A
Reviewed 16 December 2011

It would have served me right if this had all gone wrong. I chose it for no other reason than my own job. I wanted to see what an English judge's circuit lodging might have looked like in the earlier part of the century. I need not have worried. If you visit York without a car, this is where you want to stay. If you visit York with a car, even chauffeur driven, this is where you want to stay. A great number of significant attractions are within walking distance as are a number of very good restaurants. It is quaint and very comfortable, the breakfast excellent and the location perfect. There is so much to see in the city it is impossible to fit it in in three days which is what my wife and I had allowed. Generally we found the people of York delightful but our stay was made perfect by the choice of hostelry. I doubt if you will find a more pleasant, helpful and considerate bunch than the team at Judges Lodgings. Thank you.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sheriffb
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We had pre-booked a table in the cellar bar on colleagues advice as we had arranged to meet friends in York for Christmas Shopping on the Saturday . As expected York was very busy so close to Christmas. I suspected something was wrong when we walked in as the bar was virtually empty at 1pm. We were expecting a menu choice of home cooked food as promised when the table had been booked a few days earlier. What we were presented with was a very limited sandwich menu with an option for pie and peas. The staff said we should have been told this when we booked as they had a wedding on in the main hotel. We were not told this and to cap it all the ladies toilets for the bar were in a disgraceful state. The staff response to our question on this was that they could not do anything about the condition of the toilets it and that the management upstairs had been informed of this following complaints from other customers. Needless to say we walked out without buying any drinks or food and we have no intention of returning if this is how they treat customers.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends