“Good but not Very Good, a little overpriced in my opinion”
Review of The Judges Lodging

The Judges Lodging
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in York
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Good but not Very Good, a little overpriced in my opinion”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Just arrived home after our weekend stay for my husbands birthday. We visit York two or three times a year but this was our first stay at Judges. Most of the previous descriptions of this magnificent building are correct, it will close in January for a refurb but as it stands at the moment it has high ceilings, nice public rooms if a little sparse and stairs to rooms which currently less able people will struggle with (no lift). We found all the staff very welcoming and helpful.
I had pushed the boat out and booked the suite ( room 2), it is a grand room with original fireplace and enormous four poster bed, very low and very soft. The bathroom and sitting area were a little disappointing in that they have been added in to the main room with partitioned walls which don't reach the high ceilings nor does the bathroom have a door. Whilst I don't mind being in the bath or shower with my husband about, call me a prude but I do like to close the door to use the toilet! This to me is unacceptable as an en-suite - Hopefully the refurbishment will deal with this.
We didn't sleep too well on our first evening, we are usually quite heavy sleepers but just after midnight the noise from the bar below emptying its entire empty bottle collection into the skip was incredibly loud and woke us both up, once awake we were kept awake by a group of staff or revellers from another building below talking, laughing drinking etc - it was after 1am when everything quietened down and we were able to sleep, the second night was better, we had closed the shutters on the windows which may have helped deaden things. We asked the staff if the refurb will incorporate some soundproofing or inner glazing but apparently not as it is a listed building. Shame.
If I'm honest having paid £202 per night I expected a bathrobe/slippers and a more generous supply of tea bags and coffee ( 1 each is not ideal) we had to ask reception to provide more tea bags/coffe which they did (but only one more each!) it seemed a bit stingy.
Breakfast was nice, buffet selection was adequate and cooked breakfast was hot and freshly cooked to order, the dining room is bland but again it awaits its refurb no doubt
In view of the things that await attention and updating I think our stay was a little overpriced, once reopened I am sure it will be beautiful with much better use of the space they have available but then perhaps it will be priced out of our budget.
Location couldn't be better if arriving by train, it's an easy walk, but this applies to many of the hotels in York and is not unique to Judges.

Room Tip: Room 2 -"best room in the house" is disappointing if you like your en-suite to have its ow...
1 Thank Pollyschoices
Inns_0f_Character, Nick James - Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Firstly thank you for your review and feedback on your stay. I’m delighted you enjoyed your time with us but also a little disappointed that we appear to have underdelivered in a couple of areas!
I would just like to assure you that the noise of bottles being emptied will have been from a neighbouring business and definitely not from our bar- I can only apologise for the disturbance caused and it is for precisely this reason that we do not empty bins after 10pm. Room 2 is quite a disitinctive room and unfortunately cannot be changed around due to the buildings listed status- some guests do not like the layout and prefer a more traditional bathroom set up- I would recommend room 3 next door for you.

The internal rooms are all going to be upgraded as part of the refurbishment programme and I have passed on your comments to the housekeeping team about tea and coffee in the room. When we reopen we are not intending to increase prices massively as we need to remain competitive in the York market place. We are going to have a range of new rooms added so please be assured that the rates will remain very similar and we would be delighted to welcome you back!

Nick James - Manager and all the team at the Judges Lodgings.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
UK
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We visited the cellar bar for a quick lunch with the family. Lunch menu was comprehensive, as you'd expect from a good pub. Sandwiches were straight forward, if a little unexciting. A nice range of a few real ales to choose from. Visited the gents on the way out tho and pleased we'd already eaten as despite a recent refurb the toilets could do with some work.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Many thanks for coming to visit us and for your review. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your food and drinks and left refreshed! As part of our large refurbishment the toilets are being relocated so please be assured that this is in hand very soon. We hope to see you again soon.

Arizona
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This B&B is in a great location - within walking distance to the train station and very close to York Minster, a museum, a shopping district, and Betty's Tea Room. We booked one of the large upper rooms which faces in the direction of the Minster. The receptionist was not overly informative when we first arrived but answered our questions later. There's a beautiful staircase to the upper floor and it could be challenging if your suitcase is heavy. The high ceilings and ornamentation give a sense of grandeur. Our room was very spacious with a good bed and it had a wonderfully modern bathroom which had a Jacuzzi tub and a good shower. Breakfast was very good with a hot breakfast that could be ordered and/or a buffet of cereals and rolls. A cozy pub is in the basement but they were out of the beers we requested. My only suggestion would be to add to the décor with a few more pictures, etc. in the guest rooms and provide more comfortable and attractive tables and chairs in the breakfast area. Overall we judged these lodgings as historic, comfortable and conveniently located.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review and I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and loved the old building that we have! We will be updating the rooms as part of our refurbishment in Jan 14 as well as adding eight extra rooms- the breakfast room is also going to be refurnished. I will pass on your kind feedback to the team and we hope to see you again if you are ever in York in the future.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Just arrived back from a 4 day stay here.
The room we had,number 5,was a bit too warm on some occasions due to heating hid under the flooring but was a really clean and lovely room.
An excellent place to stay for a York visit but not if you have a car,no parking !
If you enjoy a hearty breakfast then this place is not for you,neither if you use the Cellar Bar for a steak,well I say steak more of a slither of hard overcooked meat!
The best place for an evening meal was Cafe Rouge nearby.
We would stay here agin travelling by train as we have learnt that you need to eat shortly after breakfast :-)
The Manager was a lovely Geordie guy who knows the area very well but the other staff seem to be just there to earn there wage.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your review of your stay with us recently. I am disappointed to read that you didn’t enjoy your steak – we would happily have cooked a fresh one for you if it wasn’t cooked as you like it if you had let us know. We do offer unlimited continental selections for breakfast as well as a cooked selection so I’m not sure how you didn’t feel that you were offered enough to eat? I will certainly pass on your feedback to the team and I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Lancashire
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed staying at the Judge's Lodgings. We stayed in the old part of the building, in 2 rooms: room 1 is a 'character room' - exactly as described, large enough to be comfortable, with a refurbished bathroom and furnished well to give a sense of the age and significance of the building; room 8 at the top of the house had a great view of the minster and the walls, also a refurbished bathroom and lovely old furniture. All clean and neat but with a lovely sense of faded grandeur. The location couldn't be better. Right in the heart of York and ten minutes walk from the station. The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast very nice. I understand they are doing a major refurbish in the new year - go before then if you like genuine shabby chic!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Treena
Inns_0f_Character, Nick James - Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Many thanks for your review and it’s great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and were well looked after by the team. Most guests like the contrast between the modern bathroom and classic furnished bedrooms which really are in keeping with the original style of the house. We do have major refurbishment plans for the cellar bar and 8 new bedrooms starting in Jan 14 so please watch our website for more details and we hope to see you back with us soon!

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My partner and I stayed for one night Bed and Breakfast at The Judges Lodgings in York during early October 2013, as a mini-treat. The hotel is located in the center of the City, so our only 'down side' when booking was the uncertainty of where to park and finding our way around the inner ring road/bridge closures - However, parking didn't cause a problem to us in the end, and the hotel staff were helpful in offering car park location advice and discounted parking passes.

On arrival we found the entrance and welcome from the staff really lovely, the decor was tasteful and the facilities clean, the receptionist was friendly and chatty whilst efficiently checking us in. I liked the high ceilings and original fixtures/fittings which were grand but understated. The traditional winding staircase to the bedrooms is lovely, but may be an issue for those requiring wheelchair/push chair access - best to double check!

The room we were initially shown to had a problem with the lighting tripping out, as such we were hastily offered an alternative, which appeared to be an upgrade, including a jacuzzi bath and giant super-king-sized bed. The room was comfortable and well equipped. Nice soft linen and large towels, which I always look out for when 'paying for staying' anywhere.

The only minor issues with the second room was that there appeared to be a broken floor tile near the bathroom entrance and as the shower door was a little ill-fitting I ended up mopping up the flood it caused; it's probably the leaky shower that's causing the tiles to come loose!

For our evening meal we chose to dine outside of the hotel as we had a reservation at a different restaurant, but on our return the night staff had arranged for our bottle of bubbly (which we'd only asked to be chilled) to be sent in an ice-bucket to our room along with champagne flutes and complimentary brownie nibbles - I was really pleased with these little touches that helped to make our evening more special.

Breakfast was very tasty and the choices varied. The serving staff were polite, friendly and helpful - they even came around the dining room with a basket of fresh choc au pain so that we could sample them while warm - yummy!

I would definitely recommend The Judges Lodgings to others planning to stay in York. It's ideally located for shopping and is close to the Minster and Train Station too!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind and comprehensive review of your stay with us. We like to go the extra mile at any opportunity and I wholeheartedly agree that it's these little touches that really make a stay stand out.

We have 8 new bedrooms being added in Jan 14 and this will mean we do have a range of rooms on ground floor level with easier access if required. Please accept my apologies for the electrical issue in your room and I’m pleased it didn’t impact your stay and that the team did their utmost to rectify the situation. We are having lots of electrical work upgraded as part of the refurbishment so that this sort of thing shouldn’t happen. I will pass on your review to the team- I’m delighted you found everyone warm and friendly- and we hope to see you again soon.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed there when Thwaites had just taken it over (infact probably within a couple of days). It was a special occasion for us - but nobody cared to tell us that there would be no cooked breakfast and no beer cellar as advertised. They did put on a buffet breakfast of very poor standard.

The most disappointing thing though - was when we wrote to complain about our stay, nobody even had the decency to reply. We appreciate that times can be difficult from time to time but given the shocking state of the place when we visited, I would of thought they could of at last responded to us.

The staff were polite at the time, the room was Ok but tired.

WE CERTAINLY WOULD NOT BOOK THE PLACE AGAIN

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello and thank you for your review. We took over the Judges in November last year as you point out and I think it’s fair to say there were a few teething issues as we had to close down the bar and restaurant immediately to allow some refurbishment work to take place to allow us to trade properly.

I am disappointed to hear that you were not contacted after writing in and can only apologise as we pride ourselves in responding to all guest feedback in a timely manner. We have some grand refurbishment plans for the Judges starting in Jan 2014 so please be assured that the circumstances you experienced will never happen again. If you would like to get in touch with me privately at the hotel I will happily discuss this with you further. Many thanks again.