1,258 results
All reviews cellar bar jacuzzi bath character room main building beautiful building garden room eggs benedict top floor lovely hotel central location no lift york minster beer garden fresh milk train station car park cooked breakfast
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Good menu choice, reasonably priced. Quirky and cosy little bar which showed so much promise. We arrived at 8pm ish hoping for a lovely last dinner to end our great trip to York. The one and only thing that let our visit down was the terrible service. The original waitress we had was very good. She took our order and then came a wait......a very very long wait. Whilst we knew everything was made fresh, we were only having soup and chicken livers, we waited 40 mins for this to come out which was somewhat disappointing! Main followed fairly soon after we finished our starter and this was average quality. It wasn't anything special. We wished to have cheese board afterwards and after waiting an eternity we ordered it at the bar, only to be told the chef went home at 9pm!
The final insult came with the bill when we were overcharged and had to point out the error to the drippy waitress who then faffed about for another 10 minutes changing it. In all honestly, there are better places to eat and we will not be retiring again in a hurry. Thoroughly disappointing.

Date of stay: October 2013
Inns_0f_Character, Nick James - Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Many thanks for visiting us and for your review. I am really sorry that there was a delay with your starters arriving and I have looked into your order and it appears that we were caught out a little on the Tuesday evening you visited and for this I must apologise.

As you mention, everything is cooked freshly to order and there were a few tickets on at the time you ordered- you should have been informed of this and again I must apologise. What is really disappointing to read is that you could not order a cheese board after your meal- this should not happen and I will be looking into this as a matter of urgency with the team.

Feedback like this does however help us to improve so once again many thanks and if you would like to speak to me personally about any aspect of your visit then please do contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Just arrived home after our weekend stay for my husbands birthday. We visit York two or three times a year but this was our first stay at Judges. Most of the previous descriptions of this magnificent building are correct, it will close in January for a refurb but as it stands at the moment it has high ceilings, nice public rooms if a little sparse and stairs to rooms which currently less able people will struggle with (no lift). We found all the staff very welcoming and helpful.
I had pushed the boat out and booked the suite ( room 2), it is a grand room with original fireplace and enormous four poster bed, very low and very soft. The bathroom and sitting area were a little disappointing in that they have been added in to the main room with partitioned walls which don't reach the high ceilings nor does the bathroom have a door. Whilst I don't mind being in the bath or shower with my husband about, call me a prude but I do like to close the door to use the toilet! This to me is unacceptable as an en-suite - Hopefully the refurbishment will deal with this.
We didn't sleep too well on our first evening, we are usually quite heavy sleepers but just after midnight the noise from the bar below emptying its entire empty bottle collection into the skip was incredibly loud and woke us both up, once awake we were kept awake by a group of staff or revellers from another building below talking, laughing drinking etc - it was after 1am when everything quietened down and we were able to sleep, the second night was better, we had closed the shutters on the windows which may have helped deaden things. We asked the staff if the refurb will incorporate some soundproofing or inner glazing but apparently not as it is a listed building. Shame.
If I'm honest having paid £202 per night I expected a bathrobe/slippers and a more generous supply of tea bags and coffee ( 1 each is not ideal) we had to ask reception to provide more tea bags/coffe which they did (but only one more each!) it seemed a bit stingy.
Breakfast was nice, buffet selection was adequate and cooked breakfast was hot and freshly cooked to order, the dining room is bland but again it awaits its refurb no doubt
In view of the things that await attention and updating I think our stay was a little overpriced, once reopened I am sure it will be beautiful with much better use of the space they have available but then perhaps it will be priced out of our budget.
Location couldn't be better if arriving by train, it's an easy walk, but this applies to many of the hotels in York and is not unique to Judges.

Room tip: Room 2 -"best room in the house" is disappointing if you like your en-suite to have its own door and prefer privacy when using the toilet - low partitioned walls separate bathroom from bed area. Noisy at night from bar below. No robes or slippers
1  Thank Pollyschoices
Inns_0f_Character, Nick James - Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Firstly thank you for your review and feedback on your stay. I’m delighted you enjoyed your time with us but also a little disappointed that we appear to have underdelivered in a couple of areas!
I would just like to assure you that the noise of bottles being emptied will have been from a neighbouring business and definitely not from our bar- I can only apologise for the disturbance caused and it is for precisely this reason that we do not empty bins after 10pm. Room 2 is quite a disitinctive room and unfortunately cannot be changed around due to the buildings listed status- some guests do not like the layout and prefer a more traditional bathroom set up- I would recommend room 3 next door for you.

The internal rooms are all going to be upgraded as part of the refurbishment programme and I have passed on your comments to the housekeeping team about tea and coffee in the room. When we reopen we are not intending to increase prices massively as we need to remain competitive in the York market place. We are going to have a range of new rooms added so please be assured that the rates will remain very similar and we would be delighted to welcome you back!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We visited the cellar bar for a quick lunch with the family. Lunch menu was comprehensive, as you'd expect from a good pub. Sandwiches were straight forward, if a little unexciting. A nice range of a few real ales to choose from. Visited the gents on the way out tho and pleased we'd already eaten as despite a recent refurb the toilets could do with some work.

• Trip type: Travelled with family

Many thanks for coming to visit us and for your review. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your food and drinks and left refreshed! As part of our large refurbishment the toilets are being relocated so please be assured that this is in hand very soon. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

This B&B is in a great location - within walking distance to the train station and very close to York Minster, a museum, a shopping district, and Betty's Tea Room. We booked one of the large upper rooms which faces in the direction of the Minster. The receptionist was not overly informative when we first arrived but answered our questions later. There's a beautiful staircase to the upper floor and it could be challenging if your suitcase is heavy. The high ceilings and ornamentation give a sense of grandeur. Our room was very spacious with a good bed and it had a wonderfully modern bathroom which had a Jacuzzi tub and a good shower. Breakfast was very good with a hot breakfast that could be ordered and/or a buffet of cereals and rolls. A cozy pub is in the basement but they were out of the beers we requested. My only suggestion would be to add to the décor with a few more pictures, etc. in the guest rooms and provide more comfortable and attractive tables and chairs in the breakfast area. Overall we judged these lodgings as historic, comfortable and conveniently located.

Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review and I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and loved the old building that we have! We will be updating the rooms as part of our refurbishment in Jan 14 as well as adding eight extra rooms- the breakfast room is also going to be refurnished. I will pass on your kind feedback to the team and we hope to see you again if you are ever in York in the future.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Just arrived back from a 4 day stay here.
The room we had,number 5,was a bit too warm on some occasions due to heating hid under the flooring but was a really clean and lovely room.
An excellent place to stay for a York visit but not if you have a car,no parking !
If you enjoy a hearty breakfast then this place is not for you,neither if you use the Cellar Bar for a steak,well I say steak more of a slither of hard overcooked meat!
The best place for an evening meal was Cafe Rouge nearby.
We would stay here agin travelling by train as we have learnt that you need to eat shortly after breakfast :-)
The Manager was a lovely Geordie guy who knows the area very well but the other staff seem to be just there to earn there wage.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your review of your stay with us recently. I am disappointed to read that you didn’t enjoy your steak – we would happily have cooked a fresh one for you if it wasn’t cooked as you like it if you had let us know. We do offer unlimited continental selections for breakfast as well as a cooked selection so I’m not sure how you didn’t feel that you were offered enough to eat? I will certainly pass on your feedback to the team and I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and we hope to see you again soon.