“Very good cappuccino in the Cellar Bar”
Review of The Judges Lodging

The Judges Lodging
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We visited the Cellar Bar at the Judges Lodging at coffee time. It's very extensive - a maze of intriguing little rooms. We had cappuccino. A cappuccino costs £3.00. That's not cheap but it's a reasonable price if the coffee is good and reliable. It was certainly very nice and strong (with semi skimmed milk), a decent size and came with a small cube of flapjack. It would have been nice to have had croissants and cakes on offer. Perhaps they'll do that after their planned renovations in 6 months' time or so. The service (from John) was friendly and efficient. There was loud music but he was happy to turn it down. I note that there have been negative comments about the men's loos; well, the women's loo was OK!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Inns_0f_Character, Nick James - Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Thank you for your review of your visit and of our coffee and service. I have seen that you have reviewed a lot of York establishments and I’m delighted that we have scored highly! I agree that whilst our coffee certainly isnt’t cheap, it’s the way that it is delivered that really matters. We will be evolving our coffee offer as part of our new concept next year and pastries are on the agenda. We hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards,
Nick James - Manager and all the team at The Judges Lodgings.

There are newer reviews for The Judges Lodging

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I was treated to a surprise visit to York earlier this year and my boyfriend chose this hotel. First of all, this is a fabulous location, within walking distance of the station (about 10 minutes) and all the main attractions around York.

Upon arrival we were upgraded to the best room in the hotel with super views of York Minster, especially at night when it was all lit up.

The room was spotless, tastefully decorated and HUGE, as was the bed and it was super comfy. The hotel is in a really impressive, characterful Georgian building with a lovely curved staircase and high ceilings. It was such a pleasant change from modern hotels.

Amenities were also fab - breakfast was good, tea and coffee making facilities in the room, comfy sofa looking out on the Minster, great jacuzzi bath, excellent separate shower... my only complaint is that the bathroom was just IN the room, not cordoned off or anything - not ideal for a new couple! However, this did not ruin it at all and we had a great stay in York :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Nick James - Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Thank you for your kind review of your stay with us and I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Judges and your upgrade as well as your time in York. We do try and offer a more unique experience with our fabulous building and all of its little quirks and it is definitely the ideal base from which to explore York. It would great to see you both again next time you are visiting!

Reviewed 3 November 2013

During an afternoon visit to the bar at the Judges Lodgings yesterday I paid a call to the gents toilets; I wish I'd crossed my legs because they were easily the most disgusting smelling toilets I have ever entered in over thirty years of pub/bar visiting. The smell took my breath away, and it seemed unlikely that the urinals had not seen disinfectant for quite some time.
I am just pleased that I wasn't dining at the Lodgings because if I was the toilets would have completely taken my appetite away.
Its a shame because apart from the toilets the Lodgings is a nice place.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Many thanks for calling in to the Cellar bar and for your review. Please be assured that the gents are cleaned every day. As part of our grand refurbishment plans in January 2014 the toilet facilities are due to be fully replaced and relocted.

Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

Visited the bar for food for the first time this week and was definitely not disappointed!
I had the soup of the day, my husband had chicken liver which was amazing! For main I had chicken with winter veg and hubby had belly pork we weren't disappointed!! Had just about enough room to squeeze a pudding in went for a chocolate brownie and vanilla ice cream beautiful!!
Will definitely be coming back can't believe we've never been here before!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Nick James - Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

What a fabulous review- thank you! I’m delighted you enjoyed our new Autumn dishes and were well looked after. We are quite difficult to find so it’s great that you have found us and we look forward to seeing you again soon – watch out for our grand redevelopment starting in January 2014!

Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Good menu choice, reasonably priced. Quirky and cosy little bar which showed so much promise. We arrived at 8pm ish hoping for a lovely last dinner to end our great trip to York. The one and only thing that let our visit down was the terrible service. The original waitress we had was very good. She took our order and then came a wait......a very very long wait. Whilst we knew everything was made fresh, we were only having soup and chicken livers, we waited 40 mins for this to come out which was somewhat disappointing! Main followed fairly soon after we finished our starter and this was average quality. It wasn't anything special. We wished to have cheese board afterwards and after waiting an eternity we ordered it at the bar, only to be told the chef went home at 9pm!
The final insult came with the bill when we were overcharged and had to point out the error to the drippy waitress who then faffed about for another 10 minutes changing it. In all honestly, there are better places to eat and we will not be retiring again in a hurry. Thoroughly disappointing.

Stayed: October 2013
Inns_0f_Character, Nick James - Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Many thanks for visiting us and for your review. I am really sorry that there was a delay with your starters arriving and I have looked into your order and it appears that we were caught out a little on the Tuesday evening you visited and for this I must apologise.

As you mention, everything is cooked freshly to order and there were a few tickets on at the time you ordered- you should have been informed of this and again I must apologise. What is really disappointing to read is that you could not order a cheese board after your meal- this should not happen and I will be looking into this as a matter of urgency with the team.

Feedback like this does however help us to improve so once again many thanks and if you would like to speak to me personally about any aspect of your visit then please do contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Just arrived home after our weekend stay for my husbands birthday. We visit York two or three times a year but this was our first stay at Judges. Most of the previous descriptions of this magnificent building are correct, it will close in January for a refurb but as it stands at the moment it has high ceilings, nice public rooms if a little sparse and stairs to rooms which currently less able people will struggle with (no lift). We found all the staff very welcoming and helpful.
I had pushed the boat out and booked the suite ( room 2), it is a grand room with original fireplace and enormous four poster bed, very low and very soft. The bathroom and sitting area were a little disappointing in that they have been added in to the main room with partitioned walls which don't reach the high ceilings nor does the bathroom have a door. Whilst I don't mind being in the bath or shower with my husband about, call me a prude but I do like to close the door to use the toilet! This to me is unacceptable as an en-suite - Hopefully the refurbishment will deal with this.
We didn't sleep too well on our first evening, we are usually quite heavy sleepers but just after midnight the noise from the bar below emptying its entire empty bottle collection into the skip was incredibly loud and woke us both up, once awake we were kept awake by a group of staff or revellers from another building below talking, laughing drinking etc - it was after 1am when everything quietened down and we were able to sleep, the second night was better, we had closed the shutters on the windows which may have helped deaden things. We asked the staff if the refurb will incorporate some soundproofing or inner glazing but apparently not as it is a listed building. Shame.
If I'm honest having paid £202 per night I expected a bathrobe/slippers and a more generous supply of tea bags and coffee ( 1 each is not ideal) we had to ask reception to provide more tea bags/coffe which they did (but only one more each!) it seemed a bit stingy.
Breakfast was nice, buffet selection was adequate and cooked breakfast was hot and freshly cooked to order, the dining room is bland but again it awaits its refurb no doubt
In view of the things that await attention and updating I think our stay was a little overpriced, once reopened I am sure it will be beautiful with much better use of the space they have available but then perhaps it will be priced out of our budget.
Location couldn't be better if arriving by train, it's an easy walk, but this applies to many of the hotels in York and is not unique to Judges.

Room Tip: Room 2 -"best room in the house" is disappointing if you like your en-suite to have its ow...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pollyschoices
Inns_0f_Character, Nick James - Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Firstly thank you for your review and feedback on your stay. I’m delighted you enjoyed your time with us but also a little disappointed that we appear to have underdelivered in a couple of areas!
I would just like to assure you that the noise of bottles being emptied will have been from a neighbouring business and definitely not from our bar- I can only apologise for the disturbance caused and it is for precisely this reason that we do not empty bins after 10pm. Room 2 is quite a disitinctive room and unfortunately cannot be changed around due to the buildings listed status- some guests do not like the layout and prefer a more traditional bathroom set up- I would recommend room 3 next door for you.

The internal rooms are all going to be upgraded as part of the refurbishment programme and I have passed on your comments to the housekeeping team about tea and coffee in the room. When we reopen we are not intending to increase prices massively as we need to remain competitive in the York market place. We are going to have a range of new rooms added so please be assured that the rates will remain very similar and we would be delighted to welcome you back!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We visited the cellar bar for a quick lunch with the family. Lunch menu was comprehensive, as you'd expect from a good pub. Sandwiches were straight forward, if a little unexciting. A nice range of a few real ales to choose from. Visited the gents on the way out tho and pleased we'd already eaten as despite a recent refurb the toilets could do with some work.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Many thanks for coming to visit us and for your review. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your food and drinks and left refreshed! As part of our large refurbishment the toilets are being relocated so please be assured that this is in hand very soon. We hope to see you again soon.