1,228 results
All reviewscellar barjacuzzi bathcharacter roommain buildinggarden roombeautiful buildingtop flooreggs benedictcentral locationno liftlovely hotelyork minsterbeer gardenfresh milkcar parktrain stationcooked breakfast
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I have not stayed at the hotel but recently had lunch which was excellent and provided really good VFM.I will most certainly go again as the food was great and the service excellent!
There was also a great atmosphere

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank nancy190832
Inns_0f_Character, Nick James - Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Many thanks for calling in to join us for lunch and it’s great to hear you enjoyed your visit in the Cellar bar. Next time you are in York why not stay with us in the Hotel! We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Wanted a central location in York and couldn't have been better. Wonderful staff and a great room #2. Fantastic facilities, excellent view of the Minster. Breakfast was top notch, only thing wrong was finding out that it closes in January for a 6 month refurb and the addition of more rooms. We will definitely go back next year as it is ideally placed for the centre and train station if you don't want to drive! It's a great place and if it was good enough for high court judges then that should tell you about the quality.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Nick James - Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

What a fabulous review about your stay with us - thank you! We promise the closure will be more than worth it and we look forward to showing off the new look Judges to you next year!

Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed one night here and thought it was fabulous. We paid £91 for a superior room with breakfast and it was worth every penny. Our room was right at the top, very spacious with a huge bed and a big bathroom with a rainmaker shower and jacuzzi tub. The decoration in the room was very tasteful. I had a wonderful nights sleep on the super soft, comfy bed too. Usually hotel beds are really hard and I struggle to sleep but this bed was spot on. We had a great view of York Minster from our room too! There was a bit of cosmetic wear here and there but I can appreciate the age of the building and it didn't affect out enjoyable stay at all. Breakfast in the morning was nice with both continental and cooked to choose from. My partner had poached eggs with bacon and the eggs were cooked to perfection. All of the staff were lovely and very polite and helpful indeed. There is parking nearby £10 overnight and if arriving by train the hotel is five minutes walk from the train station. It's very easy to find and is close to York museum and gallery, museum gardens, York cathedral and there's hindered a of shops to suit and retail therapy. Overall we'll be coming again same time next year, thank you for a wonderful stay!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and for coming to stay with us. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and were well looked after by us as well as finding us ideally placed as a base to explore York! It’s very important that our guests feel that we are giving great value for money and we like to think that this is reflected in our room rates. We look forward to welcoming you to the “new look” Judges next year!

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Spent two nights here last week, changing rooms because none was available for both nights. It's a fine building and the rooms are very spacious - well furnished and with modern bathrooms. Generally very comfortable, although there was some noise from outside, in particular the crack-of-dawn bottle-bank emptying. In the cellar is a bar where you can eat - it can't really be classed as a restaurant. However, the food there was excellent and extremely good value - we ate there on the first evening and wished we'd done so on the second. All the staff were very friendly and helpful, and the hotel is ideally situated for visiting York.
So a good choice all round - not cheap, but York is not a cheap city. It's about to close for five months, though, for various refurbishments.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Nick James - Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for leaving us a review. We apologise about the bottle-bank emptying which unfortunately is out of our control due to the early hours in which the rubbish lorries can come and collect them. We are pleased that you liked your bedroom and eating in our Cellar Bar. We hope you will consider us in the future after our refurbishment where we will have more dining options available to everyone. Have a wonderful Christmas.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I got this room at the last minute as a wedding anniversary treat for my wife and I. £140 got us a spacious room, Minster view and a great jacuzzi bath - not to mention a very good English breakfast each. For the money I thought the room was excellent (shop around in york and prove me wrong) and the service from the management (particularly Nick and Susannah) was really flawless. I'd give a straight 5/5 apart from a few minor points that, from talking to the manager, will be put right in the new year when more renovation work is due. If you're visiting York as a tourist the location of this hotel is second to none, a stones throw from the new "Starr in the City" restaurant by the river, the Minster and the prettiest parts of the city centre. I will happily repeat our overnight stay there.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Nick James - Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

It was a pleasure having you stay with us, especially as Judges held such personal history for you, and we were so pleased to help make your anniversary special! Thank you for your kind words I shall pass them on and I hope, as you are local to York, you will come in and see us again soon.