1,228 results
All reviewscellar barjacuzzi bathcharacter roommain buildinggarden roombeautiful buildingtop flooreggs benedictcentral locationno liftlovely hotelyork minsterbeer gardenfresh milkcar parktrain stationcooked breakfast
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I visited with my sister and we stayed in the (what I believe) the only twin room. We were greeted warmly and our luggage stored whilst we went shopping before check in time. Returned to find our luggage had been taken to our room (little things make all the difference) friendly staff and shown to our room. It was warm, clean and comfortable. Our evening meal was taken in the Cellar Bar. The staff there were also very accommodating and service was excellent. The food was good however I'm very fussy! We were awoken slightly earlier than we anticipated due to a delivery of beer barrels we think but in all a good nights sleep. I can imagine on a Friday or Saturday evening noise can be heard from local bars but that's something I could live with due to the location. So close to everything. I know the hotel and bar are undergoing refurbishment in January 2014 and I look forward to returning to see the changes. It currently does have some minor works ongoing but nothing that distracted us. Check out again was friendly with luggage stored. On return our luggage was taken down the steps which was appreciated. The service and friendliness was outstanding. Thank you for a very pleasant stay.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Inns_0f_Character, Nick James - Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for leaving such a kind review. It was particularly pleasing to read that you found our service outstanding and enjoyed the location. Being in the city centre there can be noise from neighbouring business which I find equally as frustrating! It was a pleasure to look after you both and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the new look Judges next year!

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I ate at the Judges Lodgings last weekend for a friend's 30th. We had pre-ordered the food which was presented with little wait. The food was delicious and well presented, also very reasonably priced (£10.95 for two courses). The staff were very helpful and chatty but stayed out of the way whilst we ate which I thought was tactful and very professional. A very enjoyable experience. I understand they are closing in the new year for refurbishment however I plan to go back in the summer and stay over.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Inns_0f_Character, Nick James - Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

What a fabulous review and it was a pleasure for the team to look after you all - I will pass on your kind words to the team ! It certainly sounded like the celebrations went well and I'm delighted you found the service attentive but unobtrusive- this is what we always strive for. It will be great to welcome you back again next summer- please watch our website for regular updates.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We arrived around 9.00 at night and were not able to get any dinner, so had to venture out. The room was very comfortable with lovely soft and fluffy towels. Bedroom very comfortable. My room involved walking up a number of stairs, which wouldn't be easy, if you had a heavy suitcase. The stair carpet was very grubby and could do with a clean but maybe it will be replaced with the refurbishment. The breakfast was great with plenty of variety and cooked breakfast options. The room rate was quite expensive and there is a £10.00 parking charge.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the rear of the hotel, if you get disturbed by loud noises.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Many thanks for your review of your stay with us. We are extending food service times to 10.30pm when we reopen in Summer 2014. However I am a little disappointed that we couldn't offer you anything when you arrived on this occasion, although we clearly hit the spot with breakfast! We do feel that the room rate offers good value within York city centre but we do have several different tariffs available for the different room styles - if you are visiting us again please do call us and we will always get you the best rate we have available.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in November (15th/16th) for a wedding in the gardens over the road. We looked here as its really convenient for the wedding however didnt realise how convenient is was for the train and the town!
Was a beautiful room at the top of the house - with a lovely view of the minster! the room was lovely and large with a beautiful Jacuzzi bath! (spent an hour or 2 in here after shopping)
Breakfast was good!
was a lovely break and a lovely room! will go back!

Room Tip: Top of the house 5/6 was lovely - didnt see the others!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for such a kind review of your stay- it sounds like you had a great weekend. All of our bedrooms have Jacuzzi baths and they are a real hit with all of our guests. We will have 8 new bedrooms when we reopen in Summer 2014 so please give us a call before you visit next to decide which room you would like to book!

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Wanted a central location for xmas shopping and site seeing. The judges lodgings were perect for this, apart from trying to get to the place without going over lendal bridge which was slightly stressful!! But hardly the hotals fault that york council have shut it for seemly no good reason as it just bungs everywhere else up and send more emmisions up into the air from cars as they drive half way round york to get to where they need.....anyway rant over. The hotel is in a beautiful building, we had room 2 with views of the minster and a 7 foot 4 poster bed whoch was wonderful. Staff were polite and friendly, everywhere was cleaned to a very high standard. The breakfast was nice enough with good quality meat, although been from leeds we like beans with our english breakfasts! the toaster was painfully slow on the buffet table we ended up with warm bread by the time breakfast arrived! ! Over all a very good stay and will defo be using the hotel again on our next trip to york!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Nick James - Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Thank you for your fabulous review of your stay with us! I’m delighted you found the location perfect for shopping and sightseeing and also enjoyed the hotel facilities and its character. I will look at the breakfast toaster and send it for an MOT and if you need any extras for breakfast please do ask- baked beans are an optional (no cost) extra! The Lendal bridge closure does make the journey to us more challenging between 10.30am and 5:00pm but I’m pleased you relaxed when you got to us! We look forward to seeing you again soon.