We stayed here 1 night in December. On arrival you have to climb iron steps to reach reception, which, if you are bad at stairs or disabled, is not on. I must admit I booked on line and , as far as I can see looking back on the booking form, there is no mention that the hotel has no lift.
That was the first shock. The receptionist was very efficient and carried our luggage to Room 1 which is at the top of the first flight of stairs. This room has a dodgy lock and jammed , so we had to get help in order to lock our room. It was explained that the Hotel is due for modernization but i would have thought the attention to the lock was something that should have been done straight away.
The room was clean but OH SO UNBEARABLY HOT and there was no way of adjusting the heat. This meant we opened the window which overlooked a main shopping and bars street . Consequently we slept to the sound of bar customers shouting, bin lorries banging bins and beer bottle being put out.
The bathroom and towels were clean. The breakfast was very good and was well presented.
I mentioned the extreme heat to the Manager and he told me it had to be either ON or OFF and believe me, it was ON. Another guest also complained.
If you are disabled at all or have trouble with stairs be aware that you may have a problem. I was not aware there was a room on the ground floor, but even if I had been , the iron stairs at the front made it difficult for me. Best advice is to check with the hotel before doing any booking.
I wont be going back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Extensively refurbished in 2014, the Judge's Lodging has 21 individually styled bedrooms, an original vaulted cellar bar,first floor dining and drinking and also 2 fabulous outside areas- quite unique within the centre of York! With a fabulous location in the shadows of the Minster, we offer a warm and friendly Yorkshire welcome to guests from all over the world. *Free Breakfast refers to our Bed and Breakfast rates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Judges Lodging reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Judges Lodgings Hotel York
- Judges Lodgings Hotel York
- Judges Lodgings York