“Reopened with style...”
Review of The Judges Lodging

The Judges Lodging
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Amazing place, try it and you will not be disappointed. All orders taken via Apple iPod system, quick, effective and prompt service on this first evening of its taster weekend.
The place has had no expense spared for its renovation.( my husbands a national contracts manger and raved all evening about the high speck)

For starters we had a butchers block to share both very happy!
Followed by a homemade beef and Thwates ale pie for myself, great meal.
My husband choice was Barnsley chop, which melted in the mouth.

Both deserts were divine, mine was strawberry and daiquiri eaton mess and my husbands was Vodka and buttermilk infused panna cotta, with coconut cookies.
The only downside was my husband is not a coconut fan ( I kindly helped him out)

Special mention to Joey who greeted us and was a fabulous first point of contact, Cher who served us and the Nick the manager who took time to speak with us and ask for feedback. ALL staff were attentive but not overbearing, their pre opening training evident.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claire Q
JLNick_James, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review! It's a delight to read about your visit to us on Friday on our first preview evening and how much you enjoyed the food and the hospitality. I have passed on your kind feedback to the team. We now need to make sure we deliver this level of service all day everyday. I very much hope to see you again soon! Once again many thanks.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

This is a very tardy review but having had one broken ankle when we stayed there in December 2013 (not broken there but before we left home), I subsequently broke the other when we returned home!

We so loved out stay here! I was so excited to show my daughter York as it is one of my favourite cities and staying in such a beautiful old place. The staff were so lovely and couldn't do enough for us, including taking our awfully heavy luggage up to the top!

The room was so lovely in its own quirky way with a beautiful view of York Minster. When we walked into the room the first time, it really took our breath away. You guys have a fabulous building, the BEST location and an even better staff! Well done! If we ever get back to England, we'll be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
JLNick_James, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Hello and many thanks for your very kind review.
We can remember you staying with us and I'm delighted that you felt so well looked after!
We are now nearly finished completing our 6 month refurbishment which we told you about when you stayed with us - the place looks amazing!

I'm sorry to hear about your leg and hope all is on the mend now.

It was lovely to have you staying with us and it would be an absolute pleasure to have you staying with us next time you are in England.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

This place is lovely in the Summer sun,you can sit out in the beer garden and watch York go by.
Spent a lazy Sunday afternoon here last summer with my missus and we loved it,looking forward to it reopening in May
Nice relaxing times

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chippynorton
JLNick_James, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Splendid review of our outside garden- no doubt brought on by the warm spring sunshine! It is a great place to sit and watch the world go by.
We are hoping to be reopen by late June and look forward to seeing you then!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We celebrated a 50th birthday at the The Judges in January and it was phenomenal. Words really cannot do the place justice but to attempt The manager personally greeted us and wished us a nice stay - All the staff were so welcoming and genuine which is such a rarity these days! I have never returned to a hotel before but cannot wait to go back Thank you so much to all the wonderful staff and see you soon :-)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
JLNick_James, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Many thanks for your delightful review and for choosing to spend such special occasion with us!Its lovely to read you were so well looked after and I very much to see you again to see our fabulous new look when we have reopened in July

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stayed at the Judges Lodgings on the 31st Dec 2013 for New Years Eve. Great central location not far from the train station and friendly welcome from a lady in reception who was happy to keep our bags until our room was ready. When we returned later to check into our room, we were welcomed by a very friendly chap. Our room was a lovely and huge with a comfy bed and views over York and a large bathroom. We paid £200 for the room including dinner bed and breakfast which didn’t seem a too bad deal. Dinner was in the adjoining Cellar Bar and Restaurant and the food was very good. My partner had a fish starter and a beef stew type main and I had the steak and all were nice. I did ask if the steak came with vegetables to which I was told yes and asked for no herb butter on the steak but the steak did not come with vegetables and the herb butter was on the steak. The waitress did offer to get me another steak but I wasn’t that fussed and so didn’t take up the offer. As we were both quite full and had a nights drinking ahead of us but deserts were included in the package and sounded delicious, we asked if we could have small half portions. However, when the sticky toffee pudding and chocolate brownie arrived, they were huge. They were tasty but not the smaller size we had asked for. Our stay was perfect apart from breakfast which we found disappointing. There was no fresh orange juice just the horrible concentrated stuff out of a cartoon. I felt that there was also room for improvement with the breakfast. I got the impression that along with the orange juice, the ingredients were not the best quality. The sausage in particular tasted cheap. For a hotel of this ilk, I was expecting quality and perhaps even local produce. Check out was efficient and once again, very friendly and personal. The hotel is now closed for refurbishment which I understand will improve the reception area and create a link from inside the hotel to the Cellar Bar and Restaurant which I am sure will be great. We had a lovely stay and would stay again if the price was right but strongly suggest that they look at improving the breakfast. Also highly recommend York for New Years Eve.

Room Tip: We had the room in the centre right at the top which was lovely
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travelbear1977
JLNick_James, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Many thanks for your review and thank you for coming to stop with us over New Year- it sounds like you had a good night! The Cellar Bar was full on NYE and I'm delighted you enjoyed your food with us and found the team warm and friendly.
I will certainly take your breakfast comments on board and we are looking to rework our breakfast offer on reopening in the Summer. We always look to source locally where we can and it is a delicate balance between cost and value that we continually look at.
It would be great to see you again when we have finished our refurbishment!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We loved our stay here. Its central, characterful and above all friendly and welcoming. I do agree that a refurbishment wouldn't come in wrong, but I hope its not unrecognisable afterwards. I loved the atmosphere and the homeliness created by the lovely staff and came back for a return visit with a friend just before it closed for its makeover. I will certainly be back again; whether for a romantic break or a girlie shopping trip - I loved it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandrat1964
JLNick_James, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Thank you for your lovely review- warm and friendly hospitality is what we strive for everyday so I'm delighted that we have hit the mark for you. Whilst we are undergoing a major refurbishment, please be assured that we will not be fundamentally altering the character of the building- we are Grade 1 listed so everything has to be approved by York Council. The Judges is a fabulous building and we are setting it up to be enjoyed by as many people as possible for the next 300 years! Cant wait to hear your thoughts when you next call in!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed one night before Christmas for a quick break in York. We chose the Judges Lodgings because of it's position in the centre of York. We loved the look of the building and the history attached to such a building. We had a thoroughly enjoyable stay, our room extremely comfortable and full of character, as is the remainder of the hotel,. All the staff were so friendly and helpful and breakfast was of a very high standard with quality produce. The Cellar Bar is great for just a drink or a meal. We wish the team every success in their refurbishment programme and we shall certainly be returning to stay at the Judges Lodgings again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen L
JLNick_James, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

What a really kind review about the team and your visit and thank you for your best wishes as we embark on our refurbishment programme. It was a pleasure to look after you and I cant wait to hear your thoughts on our improvements when we reopen in Summer 2014!