“Birthday celebrations”

The Judges Lodging
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in York
“Birthday celebrations”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Called in on the off chance as had not made a reservation in the restaurant. Staff bent over backwards to accommodate us. They were lovely and made my night very special. Food was outstanding and surroundings were gorgeous. First time I have had a meal and been in a hurry for the next course.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
JLNick_James, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
I hope you had a splendid birthday celebration and thank you for choosing to spend it with us! I have passed on your kind feedback to the team about the food and the hospitality.
We very much hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Just back from a few days here. Hotel had just undergone a major refurb and we were one of the first guests to stay. This is a superb old property right bang in the centre of the city. Perfectly situated. All the bedrooms in the old part of the building have are spacious and have been modernised and decorated beautifullly. Lots of retained character - and quirky as you would expect in at property dating back to the 1700's. New bedrooms have been added as well as dining and cosy bars added. The property retains its fine features but all modern conveniences have now been added.
The older 'Character Rooms' may become warm on hotter days as there is no air conditioning but the hotel takes care of that by providing two electric fans if needed. These are more than adequate.
When we arrived the final touches were still being made by the builders but the staff were more than attentive to ensure we were not inconvenienced.
Everybody made us most welcome and the General Manager Nick James was great, friendly and efficient. The whole team were excellent.
The hotel provides a good breakfast in the Cellar bar and may need a few tweeks just to get it perfect but it is well on the way. We did not dine in the hotels in the evening and so cannot comment. However we did have a few drinks before retiring and the dining areas were all busy and people looked happy.

Car parking is close by (10 mins walk) and there is some discount provided by the Hotel.

This is a great wee hotel with fantastic staff and I would definitely recommend and we will certainly be staying here again. My only concern is that when we try to book again it will have become so popular we won't be able to get a room. !

Highy recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for such a kind review and it was a pleasure to have you staying with us- especially on our opening weekend! We hope you enjoyed your stay in York and I will of course pass on your kind words to the team. Please come and stop with us again next time you are visiting.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Came here with boyfriend and couple of friends ...what a difference the place is ...lovely staff ...lovely food ...recommend the lemon posset for dessert was beautiful thank you I will be back I would give this place a 5 star after the refurb beautiful

• Stayed June 2014
Many thanks for your review and I'm delighted with the 5* rating! The lemon posset has proved to be a popular choice since we opened. We look forward to seeing you and your friends again soon!
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Reopened today after a £3 million facelift. And my goodness was it worth every penny! The proper opening is 1st July 2014 but we stumbled into the soft opening and enjoyed Caesar salad, Gambas Pil Pil, Calamari and Crab Salad all of which were absolutely fantastic. The rest of the menu looked great and they even do Breakfast. Cannot comment on the rooms as we didn't stay but we fully intend to soon.

Service was attentive and the refurb has made a good place very comfortable, with fantastic attention to detail.

If this does not become very close to the top of the York eateries list very soon I will be amazed. The standards set are high and may be hard to maintain when volumes flock through the doors but if they can be upheld success will follow.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Petertheclaret
JLNick_James, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Wow. What a fabulous review - thank you so much!
This review sums up exactly what we are aspiring to do and what we need to do it. Please be assured that delivering consistency is my main priority - especially in busy times and we certainly wont be resting on our laurels.

I am delighted you enjoyed your food, service and new surroundings- I would be interested to know which one of our new areas you liked the best!

I very much hope to see you soon and once again many thanks
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Amazing place, try it and you will not be disappointed. All orders taken via Apple iPod system, quick, effective and prompt service on this first evening of its taster weekend.
The place has had no expense spared for its renovation.( my husbands a national contracts manger and raved all evening about the high speck)

For starters we had a butchers block to share both very happy!
Followed by a homemade beef and Thwates ale pie for myself, great meal.
My husband choice was Barnsley chop, which melted in the mouth.

Both deserts were divine, mine was strawberry and daiquiri eaton mess and my husbands was Vodka and buttermilk infused panna cotta, with coconut cookies.
The only downside was my husband is not a coconut fan ( I kindly helped him out)

Special mention to Joey who greeted us and was a fabulous first point of contact, Cher who served us and the Nick the manager who took time to speak with us and ask for feedback. ALL staff were attentive but not overbearing, their pre opening training evident.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Claire Q
Thank you so much for your kind review! It's a delight to read about your visit to us on Friday on our first preview evening and how much you enjoyed the food and the hospitality. I have passed on your kind feedback to the team. We now need to make sure we deliver this level of service all day everyday. I very much hope to see you again soon! Once again many thanks.
Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This is a very tardy review but having had one broken ankle when we stayed there in December 2013 (not broken there but before we left home), I subsequently broke the other when we returned home!

We so loved out stay here! I was so excited to show my daughter York as it is one of my favourite cities and staying in such a beautiful old place. The staff were so lovely and couldn't do enough for us, including taking our awfully heavy luggage up to the top!

The room was so lovely in its own quirky way with a beautiful view of York Minster. When we walked into the room the first time, it really took our breath away. You guys have a fabulous building, the BEST location and an even better staff! Well done! If we ever get back to England, we'll be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
JLNick_James, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Hello and many thanks for your very kind review.
We can remember you staying with us and I'm delighted that you felt so well looked after!
We are now nearly finished completing our 6 month refurbishment which we told you about when you stayed with us - the place looks amazing!

I'm sorry to hear about your leg and hope all is on the mend now.

It was lovely to have you staying with us and it would be an absolute pleasure to have you staying with us next time you are in England.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This place is lovely in the Summer sun,you can sit out in the beer garden and watch York go by.
Spent a lazy Sunday afternoon here last summer with my missus and we loved it,looking forward to it reopening in May
Nice relaxing times

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chippynorton
JLNick_James, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Splendid review of our outside garden- no doubt brought on by the warm spring sunshine! It is a great place to sit and watch the world go by.
We are hoping to be reopen by late June and look forward to seeing you then!