“Perfect stay”
Review of The Judges Lodging

The Judges Lodging
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had read the reviews and didn't know what to expect really, we stayed for our wedding anniversary and my birthday and am so glad we did. On arrival we were shown to one of the garden rooms at the back, but I wanted to stay in the house not the modern bit, which I couldn't fault but we always choose the most ancient places to stay and always seem to find ourselves in the annex at the back ! A lovely big room was duly found for us which had a view of the minster and I was happy. We dined in the restaurant and the food and service was excellent.the whole place had a lovely atmosphere, breakfast perfect in the sunny conservatory, a really nice birthday treat , honestly can't fault it and look forward to staying again,perfect location too....

Room Tip: If you want a period room don't book a garden room as they are separate from the house, minster...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank foster156
JLNick_James, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

A perfect review! Thank you! It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I'm delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. If we have spare rooms we are more than happy to move guests to different rooms.
If you book with us again, please ask for a room in the old house.

We all hope your birthday celebrations went well and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,112)

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I reviewed the hotel after booking lunch here following Le Grand Depart, and was very disappointed with the level of service. The Manager, Nick James responded to my review and invited me to get in touch separately which I did and my hubby and I were invited back to eat again at the hotel as Nicks guests. So we had dinner there last night, and couldn't fault the service this time, our waitress Lydia was sparky, helpful, quick on her feet and clearly enjoys her job (she is a Law graduate, about to start her PGCE). Nick took time out to come and speak to us, which we appreciated and we enjoyed a very nice meal ..... Steak for hubby, and Lobster Thermidor for me, in the very pleasant dining room. The hotel's bar was packed again though, with drinkers and diners enjoying eating al fresco in the early evening sunshine. Price wise we thought it was a bit steep, Nick says he is aiming to provide good quality 'pub grub' but many of these dishes aren't pub grub, or offered at pub prices, even if the surroundings are very grand. I enjoyed the evening, thank you Nick and I hope the hotel is a success, but as Nick himself says it remains to be seen how many people visit when the winter months start to draw in, and the hotel's outside spaces, aren't usable?

3  Thank Tracy W
JLNick_James, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Many thanks for coming back to see us and for re-scoring us to 4*!
It was lovely to meet you both and also to talk to you personally. I have already passed on your kind words to Lydia who looked after you.
We are always trying to balance quality with value in our food offer and we will certainly use your feedback when we are putting our Autumn menu together. As you point out, we need to make sure that it does have an emphasis on a pub style rather than restaurant style.
We look forward to seeing you both again soon!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in a Garden Room. Beautiful room, lovely decor and pristine. Having recently gone through a refurbishment the bedroom was immaculate as was the rest of the hotel. The staff were very friendly and more than happy to help. We chose to eat outside in the restaurant courtyard as the weather was fantastic and the food delicious. Great atmosphere in the Cellar bar.
Excellent location for exploring York and all it had to offer. Great proximity to the railway station. Had a fantastic weekend made extra special as it was our anniversary and the manager had organised a lovely bottle on arrival. Well worth a visit. Thoroughly recommend and will return for another visit.

Room Tip: Garden room in the day is open to the courtyard where there are tables for eating/drinking which may...
4  Thank LE332014

Many thanks for the 5* review! It was a pleasure to have you staying with us and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. The outside areas have been so popular throughout the hot weather but I'm pleased you enjoyed our new cellar bar too.
Best of all, its great to hear that you will recommend us and return again!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Just come back from a lovely stay at the newly refurbished Judges Lodgings It was well worth the return visit (March 2013 last stay) The Garden room was lovely, just a bit noisy as it is used as a way to reach the terrace from the cellar bar. The food was excellent and the service was very good, and after leaving half my clothes after my stay they were good enough to say they would return them to me, how's that for service!
I can't wait for my next visit

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Karenlinny

Many thanks for the 5* review and I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and were well looked after! All part of the service to send on forgotten items and we certainly look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The location is excellent, but unfortunately it was downhill after that. We sat out in the courtyard where it wasn't particularly busy and there were plenty of staff. We were brought the food menu but had to ask for the drink menu, no big deal but every detail counts if you want to provide a top class service. My daughter ordered a burger which took a while coming, the waitress was wandering around with. It not having a clue as to which table it was supposed to go. The burger looked good but was dry and tasteless. On the positive side my husband and I had coffee which was very good and in a generous size cup. It took a few minutes to attract the attention of a group of waiters when we were ready to pay.
It has the potential to be a wonderful place but the waiting staff really need to wake up!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Debbiepistoia
JLNick_James, General Manager at The Judges Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Many thanks for your review. I am disappointed that your daughter didn't enjoy the burger- this is by far our most popular dish so I will certainly pass on this feedback to the kitchen team-they are all made in our own kitchen by the chefs. We do aim to get all food served within 20 minutes although there may be a slightly longer wait at peak times.
The outside dining area has certainly presented some challenges in terms of delivering table service over the last few weeks and your feedback will certainly be used to help us refine and improve our offer.
Once again many thanks.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is a review of the restaurant not the hotel.
We had dinner here on a busy, warm Saturday night when York was awash with racegoers from the local racecourse but we found a table without prior booking. We ordered wine and beers and it was some time before the waitress returned to tell us they had run out of Peroni so we ordered a local brew - out of stock - never mind, we settled on Amstel. The wine arrived warm and one of the wine glasses was filthy. The food, platters of local produce, was so-so, a tough piece of ham with a a portion of pate and 2 tiny peices of bread and a few small sausages and a bit of salad. The fish platter was marginally better. On the whole, a disappointing experience especially considering the wonderful job they have made of the 18 month refurbishment giving the place a high-end feel - no expense spared on bar areas and a lovely terrace at the rear.
It's a shame because this establishment is in a superb city-centre location and there are plenty of cheaper and better restaurants in York, this place should hire a good chef and serve food that reflects the style of it's top-end makeover. Like my old school reports used to say, 'does well but could do better'.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Tripkit5

Thank you for your review- it is well balanced and equally encouraging as we look to improve our service. I can only apologise for being out of stock of a couple of items- we were extremely busy on the race meeting and ran out of chilled stock on some lines.
With regards to the butchers boards, these have been extremely popular so I will certainly pass your feedback onto the kitchen team. Incidentally, we are always more than happy to provide extra bread, at no extra cost, if you require. Please ask your server and they will be more than happy to help.
It is also worth mentioning that we are in fact a pub with rooms rather than a restaurant in a hotel we are doing some work on our marketing to reflect this more. It is clear from your review, and others, that we have some work to do on this so once again thank you for taking the time to send in your review.
We hope you will come and see us again on another occasion.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Have been to york many times and stayed in several hotels this was our best time so far. Room was lovely the hotel has all been refurbished so very clean and modern bathroom . We ate in the restaurant great steak and very friendly staff. A few reviewers have complained about the service this hotel has recently reopened so there are a few teething problems give them a chance . This is a lovely hotel in a great city already booked again for next month .Georgie 28

1  Thank georgie28

Thank you for such a kind and considered review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Opening a large new business does unfortunately take a little time to bed in and it is comforting to hear you acknowledge this. Nobody wants perfection more than me but it is very difficult to achieve this from day 1- we are continually working on getting better!
We hope to see you again soon.