“Highly recommended, first class service and extremely high standards”
Review of The Judges Lodging

The Judges Lodging
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in York
cambridge
“Highly recommended, first class service and extremely high standards”
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I visited the Judges Lodgings for two nights on the 21st and 22nd July 2010. I was in York on business and this was my first stay at this hotel.
The hotel is situated in the heart of York, closer than any other 4* hotel to the city centre, and in my case it was literally a few hundred metres from where I was working.
The process of booking a room was easy although I was slightly concerned about the £50 per night deposit in advance. This would have made the process of booking the room through my company virtually impossible but the hotel was very flexible and was prepared to take a business credit card as deposit without debiting it until departure.
On arrival staff went out of their way to assist me when booking in and the service was extremely personal and friendly unlike many of the large 4* and 5* hotels I usually stay in.
Car parking was beside the hotel although there was limited space - however, I was able to book a space for £10 per night which was reasonable.
I was shown to my room by a member of staff, again, unusual relative to large impersonal hotels, and found the room to be of an extremely high standard throughout. I had booked a single room and was aware that the room would be compact.... and it was but there was certainly enough space.
The hotel had completed a refurbishment programme 6 months earlier and everything looked and smelt very fresh and new. Carpets were clean and luxurious and the soft furnishings were of an extremely high standard.
The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in.
A large and modern fan was a huge bonus as it was hot at the time of the visit and this combined with a large sash window that opened easily meant that it was far from uncomfortably hot.
The bathroom was fitted to an extremely high standard with a large tiled shower. The bathroom was 'very' compact but with more than enough space. There was a distinct lack of shelves however and if I wished to have the window open the only place to put my toiletaries was on the toilet cystern.
A dressing gown was provided and ample towels - both were good quality.
A shaving mirror would have been a bonus but there was a large mirror over the sink.
The sink was small but adequate.
The room was furnished well and storage was adequate with a small chest of drawers and two bedside cabinet sized cabinets - not a great deal of space for cloths. However, I must stress this was a single and compact room and this was made clear at the time of booking.
The room was equipped with a flat screen TV and DVD player and the hotel had a good library of DVDs available to borrrow at no charge.
There was also a turn-down service in the evening where the curtains were drawn and the bed was turned down.
My only real complaint in respect of the room was that it was at the front of the hotel and VERY noisy at night. A student pub across the road created a lot of noise between 10.30 and 11.30 pm and it was impossible to sleep and have the window open. There was also a lot of noise from empty bottles being thrown into a skip below my window.
As I have a special diet (vegan) I asked the staff if they would put some soya milk into the fridge for my breakfast. This they did immediately and, to my amazement, also went out and bought in soya milk as well as soya yoghurt, vegan sausages and vegan bread for breakfast. This type of personalised service just would not be available in a large hotel.
The breakfast on offer was excellent and offered fresh fruits such as banana, strawberries, raspberries etc and several cereals. Toast was offered as was tea and coffee and the service was superb.
Very high quality fresh juice was available in bottles as were freshly baked croissants and pastries.
The cooked food was of a good quality and there was an excellent menu available.
Throughout my 2-day stay the staff were outstanding and there was always someone on hand to assist with any queries. I can't rate the service highly enough.
A very pleasant stay and a hotel I would warmly recommend. The noise at night may cause some people a problem but it was at the front of the hotel, not the rear. This was the only negative however.
The price of the room relative to the standard of the hotel, the service and the quality of the breakfast (included in the price) was very reasonable and the hotel does have commercial rates for people on business.
I shall stay at the Judges Lodgings again when I am in Yorkshire on business.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 8 July 2010

This is a lovely little hotel in the heart of York within walking distance of everything you could want to visit.
The hotel itself was perfect! Very tastfully refurbished and very relaxing. The room was spacious and had everything you could possibly need for a weekend away. The bathroom was by far the best hotel bathroom I've seen, with a rain shower and a large double jacuzzi bath.
The staff could not do enough for you, and the room service was impeccable.

Would well recommended this as a place to stay, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2010
Scotland
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Just returned home from a long weekend in York. The Judges Lodgings was an ideal hotel for our base. It was within walking distance of everything you could want to do in York.

The hotel itself was lovely, nicely decorated and our room was spacious and had a lovely bathroom. The service from the staff was excellent throughout. We didn't have any trouble finding the hotel but it's worth noting that there isn't actually a car park just little places to squeeze cars into the courtyard. Once we knew that then everything was fine and we didn't use the car all weekend.

It was quite noisy in the evening from the courtyard area, the weather was lovely when we visited so everyone wanted to be outside. However this is closed between 10.30 and 11 to allow guests to sleep. Although we were aware of the noise it didn't detract from our holiday.

I'd highly recommend this hotel if you want good service, a bit of luxury and a location right in the centre of town.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Preston
Reviewed 6 June 2010

After a bit of hassle finding the place from the sat nav, you actually have to go onto the pedestrian bit of York and then turn off, I would advise a call just to clarify the last few yards, as we ended up right in the heart of the pedestrian streets with throngs of people around us staring! Having said that the staff were very helpful and the lady was out on the steps ensuring we got there ok. The rooms are excellent quality, and the building is awesome, grade 1 listed. You know you are in great company when you see the huge list of celebrities, stars of politics stage and screen listed in the room's guest book. Fittings and bathroom very clean and the jacuzzi bath great for two, with nice powerful jets! Close proximity to lots of great bars and restaurants and the hotel bar very busy and a great atmosphere too. Breakfast did not dissapoint my hearty appetite, plenty of it and good vegetarian options. Would recommend for that getaway where you want quality and luxury for a reasonable price, will book again very soon!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Worcestershire England
Reviewed 2 June 2010

This was the first visit that my wife and I had made to York and we chose this hotel for its central location. Having now been there, we now know how central - four minutes walk from York Minster, thirty seconds from Betty's Tearooms and very close to all the other notable attractions that York has to offer.
The hotel itself is a very attractive Grade I listed building which is in the process of being gradually and lovingly refurbished. The bedrooms, or at least the ones we saw, are pleasantly spacious and very tastefully decorated in muted pastel shades. The en-suite bathrooms were equally spacious, something which made a pleasant change from some hotels in which we have recently stayed.
When we arrived, we were overwhelmed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, all of whom seemed to enjoy doing their very best for us. In the evening, we went down to the basement bar which also serves food and all the staff introduced themselves to us. Maybe a small thing but it made us feel very welcome and at home.
So a combination of excellent staff, very comfortable and attractive surroundings combined with its excellent location made The Judges Lodgings a place to which we want to return to and so we have arranged to go back in December.
Thanks to all the staff especially Pete, Christina and Andy.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Had a fab long weekend at this hotel right in the centre of York. The service was personal and friendly from the helpful staff. It is a beautiful building which has been refurbished in a contemporary style from the beautiful bedroom we had to the luxury bathroom with jacuzzi bath. If you're looking for a special place to stay this is unique & luxurious.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 27 May 2010

I stayed here for one night only on a trip to visit my daughter. From booking through to checkout, the staff could not have been more helpful. I was in Room 8 right at the top of the house. (Tip: if they offer to carry your bags, let them). The clean, comfortable room had views over the rooftops to the Minster. The en-suite was well appointed with a whirlpool bath and overhead shower. (Not sure about the Hermes toiletries, too masculine for my taste). The bath rather scarily started whirring noisily long after I'd got out and drained the water. Just needed to press the button again.
It was quiet when I was there, but I can imagine it could be noisier in the summer. The hotel backs on to a few eateries, where staff regularly chuck out bottles and stand outside to chat.
Breakfast was good, if a little slow. Actually, it was far too big, even for my large appetite. I would know next time to not have everything. The toast was the best I have ever had in a hotel. Not a great view from the dining room, esp as the windows were rather grubby, but the hotel is in the middle of the city, a convenient walk from everywhere, including the station.
My only complaint was that the room was very cold, as the heating didn't seem to be working. When I mentioned it the next morning, the management immediately went to fix it. Too late for me, unfortunately, but, as they said, I should have said something earlier. My fault then for being too 'British'.
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel: it's stylish, comfortable and, as I have said, the staff are delightful.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo