We too stayed here for a 40th birthday celebration, for two nights. We wanted something special, a bit of luxury with exceptional service, but were disappointed that the standards weren’t as high as you would expect from a hotel that charges upwards of £200 per night. The main reason that we chose The Judges Lodgings was that it was in the city centre, it had great reviews and because we liked the sound of the Cellar Bar, which was described on the website as “Characterful and atmospheric, the cellar bar is the ideal place to enjoy generous portions of simple and tasty food, and an excellent range of drinks.” After a day’s walking in the Yorkshire Dales we were looking forward to a soak in the Jacuzzi bath and then a relaxing dinner in the Cellar Bar. We had checked beforehand that we didn’t have to book, and sauntered down. The “atmospheric” bar was totally empty, and we were told that they had run out of food (at 6pm). So, exhausted from our walk we had to go in search of food. Not a good start to our relaxing break. The next morning we went down for breakfast. Absolutely ravenous we walked into the breakfast room and sat down. After 10 minutes we were still sat there, no drink or breakfast menu and no-one in sight. In sauntered a woman who said hello and walked out again. We didn’t know if she was a guest or member of staff as they were all dressed really casually so you really couldn’t tell. 5 minutes later she wandered in and straight out again. Really fed up now I followed her and asked if we could see the breakfast menu. We ordered a Yorkshire Breakfast each, and the waitress brought it in without even clearing the plate/dish etc that was already in front of us. She hadn’t got a clue. This was the worst service I have ever received in a hotel, we just couldn’t believe it. Later on in the day I went up to our room to find the same person cleaning our room. They must be very understaffed or their staff have to be cleaners and wait on tables. There were a few other minor issues, no slippers in the room as stated, the history of the hotel pages missing from the hotel information, a light out in the bathroom mirror (which I was told maintenance would fix but didn’t), a broken hinge on a cupboard door which nearly swung off. Like many other reviewers we stayed in room 6, which was one of the best hotel rooms I have stayed in, it was beautiful and very clean with a lovely spacious bathroom. But the hotel really lets itself down in other ways. When I first made the booking I telephoned and was told that reservations would call me the next day, but they didn’t. Before we left I asked for a feedback form and was told I didn’t need to bother to fill it in, but I did. I don’t expect to receive any response from it though. I have rated this hotel very good, but that is only because the room was gorgeous.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Extensively refurbished in 2014, the Judge's Lodging has 21 individually styled bedrooms, an original vaulted cellar bar,first floor dining and drinking and also 2 fabulous outside areas- quite unique within the centre of York! With a fabulous location in the shadows of the Minster, we offer a warm and friendly Yorkshire welcome to guests from all over the world. *Free Breakfast refers to our Bed and Breakfast rates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your The Judges Lodging reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Judges Lodgings Hotel York
- Judges Lodgings Hotel York
- Judges Lodgings York