“Beautiful hotel, but somewhat disappointing experience”
Review of The Judges Lodging

The Judges Lodging
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 14 October 2010

We too stayed here for a 40th birthday celebration, for two nights. We wanted something special, a bit of luxury with exceptional service, but were disappointed that the standards weren’t as high as you would expect from a hotel that charges upwards of £200 per night. The main reason that we chose The Judges Lodgings was that it was in the city centre, it had great reviews and because we liked the sound of the Cellar Bar, which was described on the website as “Characterful and atmospheric, the cellar bar is the ideal place to enjoy generous portions of simple and tasty food, and an excellent range of drinks.” After a day’s walking in the Yorkshire Dales we were looking forward to a soak in the Jacuzzi bath and then a relaxing dinner in the Cellar Bar. We had checked beforehand that we didn’t have to book, and sauntered down. The “atmospheric” bar was totally empty, and we were told that they had run out of food (at 6pm). So, exhausted from our walk we had to go in search of food. Not a good start to our relaxing break. The next morning we went down for breakfast. Absolutely ravenous we walked into the breakfast room and sat down. After 10 minutes we were still sat there, no drink or breakfast menu and no-one in sight. In sauntered a woman who said hello and walked out again. We didn’t know if she was a guest or member of staff as they were all dressed really casually so you really couldn’t tell. 5 minutes later she wandered in and straight out again. Really fed up now I followed her and asked if we could see the breakfast menu. We ordered a Yorkshire Breakfast each, and the waitress brought it in without even clearing the plate/dish etc that was already in front of us. She hadn’t got a clue. This was the worst service I have ever received in a hotel, we just couldn’t believe it. Later on in the day I went up to our room to find the same person cleaning our room. They must be very understaffed or their staff have to be cleaners and wait on tables. There were a few other minor issues, no slippers in the room as stated, the history of the hotel pages missing from the hotel information, a light out in the bathroom mirror (which I was told maintenance would fix but didn’t), a broken hinge on a cupboard door which nearly swung off. Like many other reviewers we stayed in room 6, which was one of the best hotel rooms I have stayed in, it was beautiful and very clean with a lovely spacious bathroom. But the hotel really lets itself down in other ways. When I first made the booking I telephoned and was told that reservations would call me the next day, but they didn’t. Before we left I asked for a feedback form and was told I didn’t need to bother to fill it in, but I did. I don’t expect to receive any response from it though. I have rated this hotel very good, but that is only because the room was gorgeous.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,112)

Reviewed 10 October 2010

Just got back from an overnight stay at the Judges Lodgings in York and decided that I must provide my comments. Having staying in many relatively cheap places in York – Premier Inn (very good), Travelodge (OK), Ibis (OK) – I wanted somewhere more special for my wife’s 40th birthday treat and The Judges Lodgings turned out to be exactly what I wanted, ie very special…

The hotel has a charming and unique feel to it. It has some excellent original features yet also has some modern touches without detracting from the quality or feel of the rooms. We stayed in room 6 and I can honestly say that it is one of the best rooms I have stayed in. I’ve been lucky to stay in 5 star hotels around the world due to business travel but this is up there with the best of them as it does not follow any corporate chain features or rely on brand reputation. As well as its individuality the staff are excellent and nothing is too much trouble. It’s location is perfect and the breakfast was also excellent (even cooked to order). Overall there is nothing to fault at this hotel. I recommend Room 6 (although I am sure all of the rooms are nice) and we did not hear any noise at all during the night. In fact it has to be one of the best nights’ sleep I’ve had in a hotel – the bed is so comfortable.

I can’t recommend The Judges Lodgings enough and we will definitely return again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KB_the_truth
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Excellent weekend spent in York and stayed at this wonderful hotel. Great location for everything and superb accommodation to relax after all the sightseeing. Small and personal with beautifully finished rooms. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place and will certainly return when next in the area.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2010

We booked this hotel for two nights over the bank holiday weekend, after reading earlier good reviews on Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed!

The hotel, which could be described as a boutique hotel, is very well situated in the heart of York, only a few minutes walk from the Shambles, York Minster and other attractions. The hotel itself is a beautiful grade 1 listed Georgian building, which has recently had a very sympathetic refurbishment.

Our room (Room 6 - Peregrine), at the back of the hotel and with views of York Minster, was large, very well decorated and furnished, with flat screen TV, DVD player, MP3 sound dock / radio, complimentary tea / coffee and mineral water and fresh flowers. The adjoining bathroom, also roomy and with views of the Minster, was well equipped with a spa bath and rainforest shower and good quality (Hermes) toiletries. Although some earlier reviews refer to noise, I can honestly say that the only noise we heard from our room during our stay was that from the bells of York Minster, and this was quite magical to listen to particularly between 9.00 am and 10.00 am on Sunday morning

The public areas were well decorated and furnished and the breakfasts were well cooked and plentiful - in fact I had to ask for a smaller Yorkshire breakfast on our second day! The staff, without exception, were friendly, helpful and efficient.

The hotel has a cellar bar which is open to the public and which has an excellent selection of real ales and meals - once again the meal sizes are generous, and are very good value for money.

There are a number of steps to get into the hotel and to the rooms and that may cause difficulties for people with mobility problems.

Overall we had an excellent stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to experience the history of York, in very comfortable surroundings and in close proximity to all of York’s attractions. We will certainly stay there again when next in York.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank farrj
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Although the hotel does not have the online reservation system, we went to the trouble of making the reservation by phone after reading the reviews on the site and were not disappointed. The location in York is hard to beat, walking distance from the train station and in the heart of old York inside the city walls. Our room was on the second floor, we paid more for the York Minster view and were not disappointed at night when it lit up against the dark sky. The room was very spacious, with comfortable bed, nice touches like the iPod player and flat screen TV, and a modern bathroom (which had a shower and a tub, but lacked some basic hooks and shelves for accessories). The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful; the service is more informal as you would expect at a small hotel, which we enjoyed. We loved walking through the streets of the Old City and wished we had a longer stay!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VasyaStamford_CT
Reviewed 19 August 2010

We had a one-night stay to attend our son's graduation and were accompanied by not-so-young parents as well as son himself. All three rooms (two doubles and one single) were fabulous, and pleasing three generations is not an easy task! We already knew that there was no lift and that the stairs might pose a challenge to the more senior members of our party. They, however, felt that scaling the heights was more than worthwhile, especially given the magnificance of the staircase itself. We loved the team on duty who were so friendly, helpful and apparently tireless, both throughout the booking process (when I needed advice as to the suitability of the hotel for those with more limited mobility) and during our stay. Ideal location in the centre of York. Fabulous breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We stayed in this beautiful hotel last week. We were given room 6 on the very top floor, a lovely room if a little warm. We stayed over a weekend arriving Friday and leaving Monday and on all nights the noise level from the street below was above normal. Mainly pub goers leaving the city and I think unfortunately this hotel is on the main thoroughfare out. The noise on the Saturday went on until 2.30pm, the other nights til about half one. There is a pub/club opposite which is unfortunate as this stays open til late and causes its own problems. On all three nights we had a very interrupted sleep, which for the amount this hotel charges is quite poor. I think they are aware of the noise levels in the street as they did not charge us parking for the Saturday as an apology. Also, because of the layout of the hotel think the noise is amplified upwards abnormally. This is a shame as it is a lovely hotel with congenial staff. I would have preferred a hotel at the back as I think this would have been quieter. So in all, lovel hotel, just avoid room 6.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple