Abbey Guest House
  • Room Service
US$184
US$151
  • Pool
York Marriott Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
US$93
Agoda.com
US$204
US$196
Hotels.com
Middletons York(York)(Great Value!)
US$121
  • Pool
Holiday Inn York(York)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$91
US$114
US$99
Hotels.com
US$112
US$95
All reviewsb boverlooking the rivertrain stationbrowniecar parkmuseum gardensshort walkwonderful hostsperfect locationcity centrecomfortable roomstea coffeelovely walkeach morningfull english breakfasta great place to staynice room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We travelled by train so being a 10 minute walk from the station was very convenient.
The Guest House was also a very short walk from some of the main sights in York. Rooms are very pleasant and clean with nice T.Vs and comfy beds. The breakfast which is supplied was excellent.

As it is quite small and cosy it is a brilliant base if you are on a weekend of sightseeing and will be out during the day, however it may be slightly claustrophobic if you are were to spend a lot of time in Guest House.

Warning to anyone with mobility issues the stairs are quite steep and difficult to climb up!

Room Tip: We had room number 2 at the front of the Guest House overlooking the river which was lovely.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Very close to town and handy to train station. Beds are very good, nice size shower, lots of hot water. The new owners are lovely, friendly and very helpful. Be careful with the stairs as they are quite steep and narrow so just make sure you are able to handle them as all the rooms are upstairs.
Ask for room one or two. Well worth the extra five euros in size and the beautiful river view.

Room Tip: Rooms one and two are larger and face the river with big windows and only 5 euros more.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This is one place we wish we had stayed longer. Owner Kingsley greeted us by name in the carpark to assure us we were in the right place. He assisted us with our luggage and got us settled in immediately after a long day of driving. Our room had 3 windows looking out on the river, where we saw rowers on the water the following morning. It was one of the loveliest rooms we stayed in on our 16 day trip to the UK. Jane and Kingsley recently acquired the B&B, and are working hard to make it an outstanding destination for all of their guests. Chris & Cindy D.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cadelap
Reviewed 30 September 2013

It had been a long time since I had stayed in a B&B and when Jane and Kingsley greeted me at the door with a warm welcome I felt at home. The room was very clean, toiletries and hairdryer provided, and wonderful English biscuits and tea available at any time. Jane always had a fresh pot of coffee for me and her breakfast surpassed any I had in England and Scotland. The eggs scrambled to perfection and the sausage which is especially made for Abbey House was the best. You will love York as you will love Abbey Guest House.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed here in September of 2013.

I have to say that this was one of the top 2 or 3 B&Bs that we stayed in during our 23 day trip to the British Isles. Before I started writing this review, I noticed that there were a few very negative ratings. I was quite surprised to see them so I read them. For the most part, they were complaints about the attitude of the owners. I never met those owners because They recently sold the place. But I can say that the new owners, Jane and Kingsley, are truly friendly people that I felt I'd like to have as friends. They were friendly, helpful and outgoing - everything you would like to have in hosts.

The B&B was immaculate, bright and cheery, and was one of the nicest places that we stayed in during our 23 day trip. I can't emphasize that enough - a really nice place. The bed was a poster bed that even had cloth wraps around the posts.

The location was absolutely wonderful, with only one exception. If you take the train into York, it is a very short walk there via a walking path that takes you right to their door. It is only about a 5 minute walk into the main area of the city, and you really couldn't ask for much mure. It is right on the river, and the view from the room was, as the Brits say, lovely. It was nice to watch the rowers practicing on the river right from our room.

The only minor issue is that there is a railroad bridge very close to the Guest House. At first, we were afraid that it would keep us awake, but it turned out to be no problem at all.

This was a really good place to stay, and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple