“Almost perfect stay”
Review of Middletons York

Middletons York
Ranked #25 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel as a birthday surprise for my partner.
The location was perfect , just around the corner from the shopping area and also the same distance to the main attractions of York.
As it was a birthday surprise the hotel offered some extra options to make the stay personal. The hotel arranged and organised for there to be champagne, truffles and birthday balloon upon our arrival.
They had also allocated us to one of the best rooms with roll top bath tub and double shower.
The breakfast in the morning was excellent! At first we thought it was a continental buffet style which was fine; but we were then asked if we would like a full English breakfast as well. The quality was very good!

The only fault to this not being perfect and 5* was that there was maintainence at the hotel which was outside our room. It wasn't noisy but it meant that the hotel exterior looked like a building site with a lot of tradesman around.
This meant you couldn't see the hotels full potential as it is a quirky, pretty building but was covered with scaffolding etc.
The hotel had a cosy, country feel to it and very clean.

Overall a lovely stay and I would defiantly stay here again.:)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ladyannes, Guest Relations Manager at Middletons York, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Keeli,

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us, and very happy that you would return.

We can't wait to see you on your next visit.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Fabulous hotel, ideal location. Staff were very friendly and helpfull. The breakfast was great plenty of choice. The bathrooms are hugh with bath, shower, and two sinks, all in all a very enjoyable stay

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Ladyannes, Guest Relations Manager at Middletons York, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, we're glad you had a pleasant trip and we hope to see you in the future!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

This hotel consists of a collection of historic buildings with a courtyard (well, partly a car park) in between. It looks lovely on the website, which is why I booked it for a weekend for my husband and myself, but when we turned up, the oldest and most picturesque building was shrouded in scaffolding and there were skips and containers of gravel and a huge bare patch on the grass where perhaps another skip had been, so it looked nothing like as nice as we were expecting. That the hotel was being renovated should have been indicated on the website, I think. We had an executive room which was very big with a nice big bathroom but also very expensive. Then we had to pay £10 per day in addition for parking. Lots of little things could have been given just that bit more attention - the lock on our door needed the attention of a locksmith, for instance - and the area outside needed a good sweeping. The breakfast was very average. The pool was out of action on the day we arrived and, though it was available again later, we didn't try it, so can't comment. Good points: very friendly staff and a good position, within walking distance of the centre of town and of the city walls. I wouldn't stay there again, though.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ladyannes, Guest Relations Manager at Middletons York, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Hi Wendy,

Unfortunately renovations have to take place from January before peak season. Being a collection of listed buildings, sometimes we cannot put off the work. We have ensured all building work is refined to one area of the hotel, and we have no guests allocated to that building. I apologise that this impacted your stay.

I have passed on all additional comments to management to look into and improve.

We are saddened that you would not choose to stay with us again, but hope the negative stay you had with us will not impact you choosing to visit York again.

Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

We booked a night through a low cost website and think we got a really good deal for what we paid. We booked a deluxe room which was a very good size, enormous bathroom, modern too. The hotel has different buildings which are listed so our room was on a bit of a slant but I didn't mind that! There are refurbishments going on at the moment but as we were out all day they didn't bother us at all. Location was great top. Breakfast was good this morning and the staff were friendly. I can understand people saying it's overpriced though. We paid £68 for the night but there's no way I'd pay any more than that plus it's a bit naughty then charging £10 for parking too. My advice would be book a deluxe room but shop around for the cheapest deal as you may be disappointed if you paid more than we did

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Jenuno,

We would like to thank you for the positive comments regarding your stay with us.

We regularly check our prices against our competitors and ensure that our rates are fair and a good representation of what we offer. Being a central hotel in a very popular tourist city, our prices may seem higher than average based on other cities. However, we can guarantee they are fair prices for York. Our rates also include use of the Health and Fitness center and full English breakfast.

We hope that you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

My husband booked this hotel as part of my birthday trip to the Lake district. We had an overnight stay before picking up a car to drive to the lakes.On arrival we were met by a really friendly receptionist who booked us in and took us to our room (interestingly or not at the second hotel we were given directions to get to our room). On the way to the room I was asked by a member of staff if they could carry my luggage(obviously my husband isn't the luggage carrying kind). It's the small details like these that can make a big difference. We had a drink in the hotel bar where we realised that not only could we not get onto the internet on our kindle but that the lakes were a 3 hour drive away and we had not a map between us. The lovely receptionist took the time to print off the route for us and advised us of tourist spots along the way. Breakfast in the morning was lovely and we found that the hotel was in a great situation to see most of York. In short (I could have probably said this at the beginning and saved you the bother of reading all my waffle) great hotel, good location, lovely staff and fab breakfast.

1  Thank hopehols

We would like to thank you for such a wonderful review.

We are glad our staff were so attentive and helpful. We strive to have great customer service, and are pleased that this has been the case during your stay,

We hope if you return to York, that you will choose Lady Anne's.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is an average hotel from the point of view of the food and bathroom facilities, but perfectly adequate bedroom and the staff were unfailingly polite, helpful and friendly. As we simply wanted to wander round York (the old part) and had travelled by train, the location was perfect. Our one gripe would be the bathroom - a very small shower and mould and damp in evidence.

1  Thank Sue N

Hi Sue,

I apologise for the areas of your stay in which you were dissatisfied. I have passed on the information to Housekeeping, and they will be investigating the bathrooms to ensure this does not happen again.

We hope this will not impact you returning to both Lady Anne's and to York.

All the best,

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I stayed in a double de-luxe room it's was excellent both bath and shower, the bathroom was huge loads of hot water the bed was really comfortable also a fridge, safe and internet.
I was on my own and nothing was to much trouble for the staff from helping me with my case to recommending places to visit also checking the trains were running after the bad weather.
Breakfast was really good didn't eat there on the evening but the staff at the bar were really friendly. Couldn't fault the hotel at all will be staying here again.
Stayed in room 55

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Hi Lynne,

We are so pleased that your stay was so positive. We are also thrilled to hear that you will be returning.

We look forward to seeing you in the future,