“Great for a short stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Middletons York

Middletons York
Ranked #23 of 46 Hotels in York
Southport, United Kingdom
“Great for a short stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

My mother and I recently stayed for 3 nights at the hotel and were well impressed with the staff, service and hotel at large. All staff were friendly and helpful, the room was pleasant and comfortable, and the breakfast service was well run and consisted of a good and tasty range of food (I particularly liked the porridge!).
The hotel is really close to the center of York yet off a quiet street so your ensured a good nights sleep, while also being close and at a convenient distance from all major tourist attractions and rail links.
On the Thursday evening the hotel had live entertainment which was really enjoyable and I'd recommend you pop on down to enjoy this.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nichola967
Ladyannes, Guest Relations Manager at Middletons York, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Hi Nichola,

Thank you for such a nice review. We are thrilled to hear you had a great stay!

We hope that we will see you again soon!

Lady Anne Middleton's Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Turkish first
Seaham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

What a lovely hotel the Lady Anne Middleton is, it's really quirky the staff are lovely and the food was divine, will defiantly be staying again.

Only downfall is the car park spaces are a bit tight, but that's it.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for a positive review!

Hopefully see you again in the near future!

Best wishes,
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We unfortunately had to cut our stay short through no fault of the hotel so cannot comment on breakfast or other meals here. The staff we had dealings in our short visit were great - lovely lady serving behind the bar was very informative and helpful about York . Mark on night reception was fantastic and professional when we required urgent 999 assistance. We stayed in Room 18 in the main building as the hotel accommodated my request for a quiet room. The hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment programme and our room was beautiful - albeit a bit on the small side. The shower is pathetic though and there is absolutely no pressure.

We could only stay for 1 out of the 2 nights booked as my husband was admitted to York A&E with a slipped disc. I was fully aware I wasn't entitled a refund for the night we couldn't stay. I was advised that if the room was re-sold we would be get a refund but apparently the hotel didn't re-sell the room. I just felt in view of the circumstances it really won't have hurt to have offer us a return visit and use the night we had paid for another time. I know the hotel has to make money but a little customer service goes a long way.

When we eventually made it home the next day I had an invoice from the hotel charging me for wine and meals we didn't have and saying they'd taken the liberty of taking the money from my credit card as we had already left. I phoned the hotel immediately who credited back my card with an apology but what absolute incompetence.

We do want to return to York to complete our trip but I think we will try another hotel as there seems to be loads of better ones to choose from.

3 Thank TeamGB_13
I am very sorry that your trip was cut short and the service you received wasn't of the correct standard.

If you would like to give us another opportunity to change your opinion, if you could email your complaint to jolanda.hind@ladyannes.co.uk, then we would like you to stay with us again and use the nights stay you paid for but could not use.

I apologise that this was not offered to you at the time.

The payment taken was unfortunately an error from the restaurant. I can only apologise profusely for this error.

I hope to hear from you soon to re-book a room for you, should you chose to do so.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

My partner and I booked a double Deluxe Double Room for last Saturday night (3.5.14) and boy what an experience for a whopping £160.00 we paid for the one night.
We arrived at approx' 3:00pm on Saturday afternoon and found a car parking space (which is charged at £10/day) and the car parking spaces are a bit tight if you have a larger car than the average family saloon vehicle. We were shown to our room after checking in which seemed nice but not what I would expect as a Deluxe Double (web site photo's can look really great). From then on it went downhill.
I jumped in the shower and was full of shower gel head to toe when the shower water stopped, I shouted to my partner to ring Reception and ask why the water had gone off. She rang Reception and they said it must be the water pressure and they would send a maintenance man to check. For 15 minutes I was in the shower waiting for the water to come back on covered in shower gel whilst the maintenance staff checked the boiler room for the water problem. The water came on at a trickle and I managed to very very quickly finish my shower whist the going was good with some water. When I got out the shower and dried I rang down to Reception to ask if this was a "one off" or could we expect this to happen in the morning too as it wasn't good for a 3 Star Hotel. To my amazement the Receptionist responded "this is a 2 Star Hotel not a 3 Star"....that really took me back as what she was implying was that its ok for a 2 Star Hotel to have water issue...
Next morning we went down to breakfast at 9:45am (Breakfast finishes serving at 10:00am). There were several empty tables but still full of plates, cups, pots of tea etc.. so we had to sit at a table and wait for staff to come and clear the table; 5 minutes passed but no sign of any staff coming to clear our table so we can get our own breakfast and be able to physically place the meal on the table. My partner had to go up to a staff member and ask them to clear the table...We normally like toast with our breakfast; not today! The toaster went on fire and staff told us that we couldn't have toast as the toaster had gone on fire and they had no spare toasters. Now one or two of you are thinking what else can happen!
Well what happened next was something out of a comedy sketch as several people on tables next to ours came to our rescue as they had some spare toast and butter and immediately brought their own spare toast to our table....Good old British spirit when we are in in trouble and toastless we rally around to help each other (Many Many Thanks to the people who helped us with spare toast it was very much appreciated).
This is one hotel we will definitely not be coming back to and to say disappointed doesn't quite hit the mark when describing how we felt after leaving paying our £160.00.

4 Thank Teg_12
I apologise that your water pressure was low. We have had our plumbers come and take a look to resolve the issue. This is not a reoccurring issue and I am sorry that you came across this problem. Additionally, I am wholeheartedly sorry for the manner in which the receptionist handled the issue, and they have been spoken to in regards to this issue.

Breakfast was obviously not up to standard that day, and I am disappointed that the staff did not handle it in the correct manner. The toaster was a malfunction that couldn't be helped, but we will be buying a spare toaster for the future just in case! More staff training will be put in place to fix these issues you experienced.

I am sorry that you did not feel like you got value for money, but I hope that in the future you would give us another try!

Billingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I arrived at the Lady Anne Middleton's for a romantic short break with my girlfriend, we entered the pleasant reception area were I informed an elder receptionist that we had a booking for 2 nights. I was very promptly and sharply told that she was serving someone even though I could not see anyone else standing even close to the desk or immediate area ? Thankfully we were approached by another member of staff a blonde haired lady who was very friendly, jovial, and chatty.After parking the car which carries a £10 per night charge we where shown to our room which was very clean all round and nicely decorated with large roof beams which really added to its character. I was also pleased to see that the flowers and chocolates I had requested had been placed in the room.
As we unpacked we both commented on the loud repetitive noise coming through the ceiling which can only be described as beating jungle drums ? thankfully this had stopped when we returned to the room later that night.
We entered the dinning area for breakfast the next morning where a very pleasant waitress showed us to a table, I opted for the full english which was tasty with good quality meats and other ingredients.
Unfortunately the next morning we where awoken just before 8am by loud music coming through the ceiling not what you expect or want to be greeted with.
Breakfast was served as a buffet style under heat lamps but unfortunately was completely stone cold.
As I settled the bill I commented to the receptionist about the drums and music coming through the ceiling he seemed genuinely and un able to give an answer but said he would look into it.
On a whole I unfortunately could not recommend the Lady Anne Middleton as a place to stay as there are many other hotels around the same price bracket and location in the city our experience was let down by annoying niggles an abrupt member of staff and a slight lack of all round quality that you would except for a hotel like this.

1 Thank Simon G
Hello Simon,

I apologise for the bad service you received initially from one of our receptionists. We have discussed with our staff how to promote good customer service, and the negetive experience you had will not be repeated.

In regards to the noise, I can only presume that it was from a nearby room, but I am sorry for the disruption caused.

I am disappointed to hear that you would not return, but we will take all comments on board to improve throughout.

Glossop, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We spent two nights at the hotel for a weekend away. The hotel was still in the process of being re-furbished but did not cause any inconvenience at all. The rooms were modern, clean and comfortable and the staff very friendly and efficient.

The breakfast was a little disappointing as the room was a little small and needed better managing during busy period. The food was OK but just needed a little bit more TLC and attention to detail.

The location is fantastic being very close to the river and city centre but just out of the way so its not noisy at all. Its such a nice building with gardens I would definitely visit again.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Ladyannes, Guest Relations Manager at Middletons York, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Hi Mike,

Thank you for all your comments.

I will speak to our restaurant manager regarding our breakfast service!

We look forward to you returning in the future!

Lady Anne Middletons Hotel
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Booked up a night in a deluxe suite at the Lady Anne over other hotels because it was advertised as having a pool. Checked this in advance and a note was even attached to our booking to ensure we had access to it. When we arrived it was evident that the pool was too small for more than two people, and further we were told by the staff that 'the pool was broken and the temperature four degrees below normal'. Found ourselves in the odd situation of having to convince staff to let us use something they'd advertised and we'd paid for! On checking out raised a complaint about this and was told 'you should have asked about this at the reception desk' which is exactly what we had done. Not really on to advertise services to hike up prices and then not actually have them. And to dissuade customers from using them. They offered no price reduction, no doubt thinking it very clever to get away with this false advertising. Ps the spa did not exist either!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Guy M
Hi Guy,

I am very sorry that you had a negative stay with us.

The pool at the health and fitness centre next to us is a fitness pool, ideal for exercise. It is a hydrotherapy pool, and that is why it is the size it is. Due to the city centre location, it couldn't be any bigger unfortunately!

Although we do offer use of the pool, we do not increase our prices due to this. Additionally, the pool is owned by the health and fitness centre and therefore when it breaks it is out of our hands. We can only apologise that on this occasion the pool had broken and was not fixed in time for your stay.

Again, I am sorry that you did not have a good stay with us, and can only hope that you will return in future and give us another chance!

Best wishes,