“Lovely friendly hotel, excellent service, felt welcome and comfortable.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Middletons York

Middletons York
Ranked #22 of 46 Hotels in York
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Lovely friendly hotel, excellent service, felt welcome and comfortable.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights with a group of friends to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday. Location is superb, 10 mins walk from train station and 10 mins from City center. No problem with parking, only one couple traveled by car, space pre-booked and was free of charge as booked prior to charge being introduced. Very fair. We all immediately felt welcome and comfortable, all the staff were exceptional, very friendly an attentive, don't know all their names, but Jay and the blonde haired lady on reception, the bar staff and Mike the restaurant manager, who's service was exemplary. We booked the private dining room for the birthday dinner for our group of 10 and ate from the Table D'Hote menu, which was very good, as was the extensive wine list and range of cask ales. Jolanda, guest relations exceeded my expectations in her helpfulness with organising the birthday cake. Without exception, all members of our party said it was a lovely hotel, perfectly situated where they felt welcome and comfortable. We loved the collection of historical buildings and the refurbishment had been completed to a high standard whilst retaining much historical charm. Can't comment on the health club as we didn't use it, but it looked very nice. Overall we were very impressed and had a great experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ladyannes, Guest Relations Manager at Middletons York, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Hello Kim,

All the staff would like to thank you for the fantastic feedback. It was a pleasure to have you and your group staying with us, and we are all thrilled that you had such an excellent time!

We can't wait to have you back!

Best wishes,
Lady Anne Middleton's Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Turkish first
cardiff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

We booked the hotel on line and thought the price was good for what we found to be a really lovely hotel close to the centre of York. We loved the fact that there's a swimming pool which we had private use of. The room was very pleasant, large and newly decorated. Food was excellent - the full breakfast and evening menus were very good.
My husband did complain on the second day that our ground floor sash window had been left open by housekeeping. Although we'd used the safe, our other possessions and baby's buggy were in full view. We were assured the cleaner had been made aware of our concerns but we were leaving the next day.
After we'd checked out we went for a lovely walk around York before returning to collect our car. That's when we were approached by one of the staff saying that the dressing gowns were missing from our room. The obvious implication was that we had stolen them. My husband explained there hadn't been any dressing gowns in our room and offered to empty our car to prove we hadn't taken them. I then discovered a message on my phone to the same effect, saying the dressing gowns were missing and asking me to get in touch with the hotel. I returned to reception and explained how upsetting is is to be accused of theft at the end of what had been a really lovely break. I was told no offence had been intended and they thought we may have taken the dressing gowns by mistake (!). Unfortunately it put a really disappointing end to what had been our first holiday as a family with our baby. We would definitely have returned to the hotel in future if it hadn't been for our sour ending. It's a shame really as we've been raving about the hotel already on Facebook and recommended it to friends.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank rrachelr
Hello Rachel,

I am very sorry that you took offence when we asked about the dressing gowns, it was in no way an accusation that you had purposefully taken them. In the past we have had guests take dressing gowns accidentally and then needed to send them back, and we did not want to cause any hassle had there been a mistake.

We hope that you received the flowers sent to you as an apology for any offence that may have been caused.

We hope that you will understand that no staff at the hotel were accusing you of theft. And we hope that you may return to stay with us in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Just returned from the lady anne hotel, a wonderful place to stay, full of character, friendly staff and I believe an additional guest in our room.... An apparition of a young lady around twenty years old moving towards the bathroom, looked back over her shoulder and disappeared. Hardly surprising with a place so rich with character and history.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Yvonne,

Thanks very much for the positive feedback! We hope the "extra guest" you saw didn't put you off visiting again in the future!

Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

My mother and I recently stayed for 3 nights at the hotel and were well impressed with the staff, service and hotel at large. All staff were friendly and helpful, the room was pleasant and comfortable, and the breakfast service was well run and consisted of a good and tasty range of food (I particularly liked the porridge!).
The hotel is really close to the center of York yet off a quiet street so your ensured a good nights sleep, while also being close and at a convenient distance from all major tourist attractions and rail links.
On the Thursday evening the hotel had live entertainment which was really enjoyable and I'd recommend you pop on down to enjoy this.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nichola967
Hi Nichola,

Thank you for such a nice review. We are thrilled to hear you had a great stay!

We hope that we will see you again soon!

Seaham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

What a lovely hotel the Lady Anne Middleton is, it's really quirky the staff are lovely and the food was divine, will defiantly be staying again.

Only downfall is the car park spaces are a bit tight, but that's it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for a positive review!

Hopefully see you again in the near future!

Best wishes,
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We unfortunately had to cut our stay short through no fault of the hotel so cannot comment on breakfast or other meals here. The staff we had dealings in our short visit were great - lovely lady serving behind the bar was very informative and helpful about York . Mark on night reception was fantastic and professional when we required urgent 999 assistance. We stayed in Room 18 in the main building as the hotel accommodated my request for a quiet room. The hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment programme and our room was beautiful - albeit a bit on the small side. The shower is pathetic though and there is absolutely no pressure.

We could only stay for 1 out of the 2 nights booked as my husband was admitted to York A&E with a slipped disc. I was fully aware I wasn't entitled a refund for the night we couldn't stay. I was advised that if the room was re-sold we would be get a refund but apparently the hotel didn't re-sell the room. I just felt in view of the circumstances it really won't have hurt to have offer us a return visit and use the night we had paid for another time. I know the hotel has to make money but a little customer service goes a long way.

When we eventually made it home the next day I had an invoice from the hotel charging me for wine and meals we didn't have and saying they'd taken the liberty of taking the money from my credit card as we had already left. I phoned the hotel immediately who credited back my card with an apology but what absolute incompetence.

We do want to return to York to complete our trip but I think we will try another hotel as there seems to be loads of better ones to choose from.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TeamGB_13
I am very sorry that your trip was cut short and the service you received wasn't of the correct standard.

If you would like to give us another opportunity to change your opinion, if you could email your complaint to jolanda.hind@ladyannes.co.uk, then we would like you to stay with us again and use the nights stay you paid for but could not use.

I apologise that this was not offered to you at the time.

The payment taken was unfortunately an error from the restaurant. I can only apologise profusely for this error.

I hope to hear from you soon to re-book a room for you, should you chose to do so.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

My partner and I booked a double Deluxe Double Room for last Saturday night (3.5.14) and boy what an experience for a whopping £160.00 we paid for the one night.
We arrived at approx' 3:00pm on Saturday afternoon and found a car parking space (which is charged at £10/day) and the car parking spaces are a bit tight if you have a larger car than the average family saloon vehicle. We were shown to our room after checking in which seemed nice but not what I would expect as a Deluxe Double (web site photo's can look really great). From then on it went downhill.
I jumped in the shower and was full of shower gel head to toe when the shower water stopped, I shouted to my partner to ring Reception and ask why the water had gone off. She rang Reception and they said it must be the water pressure and they would send a maintenance man to check. For 15 minutes I was in the shower waiting for the water to come back on covered in shower gel whilst the maintenance staff checked the boiler room for the water problem. The water came on at a trickle and I managed to very very quickly finish my shower whist the going was good with some water. When I got out the shower and dried I rang down to Reception to ask if this was a "one off" or could we expect this to happen in the morning too as it wasn't good for a 3 Star Hotel. To my amazement the Receptionist responded "this is a 2 Star Hotel not a 3 Star"....that really took me back as what she was implying was that its ok for a 2 Star Hotel to have water issue...
Next morning we went down to breakfast at 9:45am (Breakfast finishes serving at 10:00am). There were several empty tables but still full of plates, cups, pots of tea etc.. so we had to sit at a table and wait for staff to come and clear the table; 5 minutes passed but no sign of any staff coming to clear our table so we can get our own breakfast and be able to physically place the meal on the table. My partner had to go up to a staff member and ask them to clear the table...We normally like toast with our breakfast; not today! The toaster went on fire and staff told us that we couldn't have toast as the toaster had gone on fire and they had no spare toasters. Now one or two of you are thinking what else can happen!
Well what happened next was something out of a comedy sketch as several people on tables next to ours came to our rescue as they had some spare toast and butter and immediately brought their own spare toast to our table....Good old British spirit when we are in in trouble and toastless we rally around to help each other (Many Many Thanks to the people who helped us with spare toast it was very much appreciated).
This is one hotel we will definitely not be coming back to and to say disappointed doesn't quite hit the mark when describing how we felt after leaving paying our £160.00.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Teg_12
I apologise that your water pressure was low. We have had our plumbers come and take a look to resolve the issue. This is not a reoccurring issue and I am sorry that you came across this problem. Additionally, I am wholeheartedly sorry for the manner in which the receptionist handled the issue, and they have been spoken to in regards to this issue.

Breakfast was obviously not up to standard that day, and I am disappointed that the staff did not handle it in the correct manner. The toaster was a malfunction that couldn't be helped, but we will be buying a spare toaster for the future just in case! More staff training will be put in place to fix these issues you experienced.

I am sorry that you did not feel like you got value for money, but I hope that in the future you would give us another try!