“Won't be visiting again...”
Review of Middletons York

Middletons York
Ranked #25 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We visited The Lady Anne Middleton hotel on Saturday for 1 night for my husbands birthday..checked into our Deluxe Double....mmm..debatable!
Greeted by friendly receptionist and shown to our room,
We had a shopping spree round York and returned to our room for a lie down and relax before going for a meal we had booked..
The room was freezing I could not get warm....later whilst in the shower (which was not very hot) I was mid washing my hair and the water turned cold, hubby rang reception to report this, they said they would be down to have a look, I was stood 10 minutes dripping wet with shampoo still in my hair...the guy came down and said 'yes it seems your right' and that he didn't know what to suggest as all rooms were booked..he promptly left us to go have a look at the boiler. I was stood another 15 minutes plus..he then rang our room and said the pressure was low on the boiler, and the heating should come on ASAP and water should be hot imminently...we waited and waited the radiators came on but water was the same..
We did not receive a follow up call to check the water was ok, so I had to finish shower in cold water, and hubby had to have a totally cold shower...we were then left with 20 minutes till our table was booked at a nearby restaurant ...which is not what we planned, we wanted a few drinks in the bar before our meal..
We reported to staff at receptionist that the shower was cold received an apology and told maintenance would be in to check in morning...
On check out we reported that we had no hot water and no maintenance came (after care) poor!!! She apologised and we were told they would weave our £10 parking as goodwill gesture!! What a joke!! We paid £150 for a room and it was not worth that at all...we will not be visiting again, and yes breakfast was a nightmare, no clean tables, what were cleared weren't reset, cattle market!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tara1971
Ladyannes, Guest Relations Manager at Middletons York, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Hello Tara,

I apologise that the shower was not working correctly. Unfortunately that weekend we had an issue with our boilers, which I can assure we have taken this very seriously and have resolved the issue. I am sorry that the situation was not handled correctly, I can only presume that since this has not happened in the past that the receptionist was unsure how to deal with it. We have now trained all receptionists on the boilers and heating throughout the hotel.

Breakfast has been highlighted on tripadvisor as an issue that clearly needs resolving. We have a new food and beverage manager in place and his first role is getting breakfast up to standard. I apologise that on your visit it was not satisfactory.

I hope in the future you will give Middletons Hotel another opportunity to change your opinion.

Middletons Hotel

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights with a group of friends to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday. Location is superb, 10 mins walk from train station and 10 mins from City center. No problem with parking, only one couple traveled by car, space pre-booked and was free of charge as booked prior to charge being introduced. Very fair. We all immediately felt welcome and comfortable, all the staff were exceptional, very friendly an attentive, don't know all their names, but Jay and the blonde haired lady on reception, the bar staff and Mike the restaurant manager, who's service was exemplary. We booked the private dining room for the birthday dinner for our group of 10 and ate from the Table D'Hote menu, which was very good, as was the extensive wine list and range of cask ales. Jolanda, guest relations exceeded my expectations in her helpfulness with organising the birthday cake. Without exception, all members of our party said it was a lovely hotel, perfectly situated where they felt welcome and comfortable. We loved the collection of historical buildings and the refurbishment had been completed to a high standard whilst retaining much historical charm. Can't comment on the health club as we didn't use it, but it looked very nice. Overall we were very impressed and had a great experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Ladyannes, Guest Relations Manager at Middletons York, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Hello Kim,

All the staff would like to thank you for the fantastic feedback. It was a pleasure to have you and your group staying with us, and we are all thrilled that you had such an excellent time!

We can't wait to have you back!

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We booked the hotel on line and thought the price was good for what we found to be a really lovely hotel close to the centre of York. We loved the fact that there's a swimming pool which we had private use of. The room was very pleasant, large and newly decorated. Food was excellent - the full breakfast and evening menus were very good.
My husband did complain on the second day that our ground floor sash window had been left open by housekeeping. Although we'd used the safe, our other possessions and baby's buggy were in full view. We were assured the cleaner had been made aware of our concerns but we were leaving the next day.
After we'd checked out we went for a lovely walk around York before returning to collect our car. That's when we were approached by one of the staff saying that the dressing gowns were missing from our room. The obvious implication was that we had stolen them. My husband explained there hadn't been any dressing gowns in our room and offered to empty our car to prove we hadn't taken them. I then discovered a message on my phone to the same effect, saying the dressing gowns were missing and asking me to get in touch with the hotel. I returned to reception and explained how upsetting is is to be accused of theft at the end of what had been a really lovely break. I was told no offence had been intended and they thought we may have taken the dressing gowns by mistake (!). Unfortunately it put a really disappointing end to what had been our first holiday as a family with our baby. We would definitely have returned to the hotel in future if it hadn't been for our sour ending. It's a shame really as we've been raving about the hotel already on Facebook and recommended it to friends.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank rrachelr

Hello Rachel,

I am very sorry that you took offence when we asked about the dressing gowns, it was in no way an accusation that you had purposefully taken them. In the past we have had guests take dressing gowns accidentally and then needed to send them back, and we did not want to cause any hassle had there been a mistake.

We hope that you received the flowers sent to you as an apology for any offence that may have been caused.

We hope that you will understand that no staff at the hotel were accusing you of theft. And we hope that you may return to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Just returned from the lady anne hotel, a wonderful place to stay, full of character, friendly staff and I believe an additional guest in our room.... An apparition of a young lady around twenty years old moving towards the bathroom, looked back over her shoulder and disappeared. Hardly surprising with a place so rich with character and history.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Yvonne,

Thanks very much for the positive feedback! We hope the "extra guest" you saw didn't put you off visiting again in the future!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

My mother and I recently stayed for 3 nights at the hotel and were well impressed with the staff, service and hotel at large. All staff were friendly and helpful, the room was pleasant and comfortable, and the breakfast service was well run and consisted of a good and tasty range of food (I particularly liked the porridge!).
The hotel is really close to the center of York yet off a quiet street so your ensured a good nights sleep, while also being close and at a convenient distance from all major tourist attractions and rail links.
On the Thursday evening the hotel had live entertainment which was really enjoyable and I'd recommend you pop on down to enjoy this.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nichola967

Hi Nichola,

Thank you for such a nice review. We are thrilled to hear you had a great stay!

We hope that we will see you again soon!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

What a lovely hotel the Lady Anne Middleton is, it's really quirky the staff are lovely and the food was divine, will defiantly be staying again.

Only downfall is the car park spaces are a bit tight, but that's it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for a positive review!

Hopefully see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We unfortunately had to cut our stay short through no fault of the hotel so cannot comment on breakfast or other meals here. The staff we had dealings in our short visit were great - lovely lady serving behind the bar was very informative and helpful about York . Mark on night reception was fantastic and professional when we required urgent 999 assistance. We stayed in Room 18 in the main building as the hotel accommodated my request for a quiet room. The hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment programme and our room was beautiful - albeit a bit on the small side. The shower is pathetic though and there is absolutely no pressure.

We could only stay for 1 out of the 2 nights booked as my husband was admitted to York A&E with a slipped disc. I was fully aware I wasn't entitled a refund for the night we couldn't stay. I was advised that if the room was re-sold we would be get a refund but apparently the hotel didn't re-sell the room. I just felt in view of the circumstances it really won't have hurt to have offer us a return visit and use the night we had paid for another time. I know the hotel has to make money but a little customer service goes a long way.

When we eventually made it home the next day I had an invoice from the hotel charging me for wine and meals we didn't have and saying they'd taken the liberty of taking the money from my credit card as we had already left. I phoned the hotel immediately who credited back my card with an apology but what absolute incompetence.

We do want to return to York to complete our trip but I think we will try another hotel as there seems to be loads of better ones to choose from.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TeamGB_13

I am very sorry that your trip was cut short and the service you received wasn't of the correct standard.

If you would like to give us another opportunity to change your opinion, if you could email your complaint to jolanda.hind@ladyannes.co.uk, then we would like you to stay with us again and use the nights stay you paid for but could not use.

I apologise that this was not offered to you at the time.

The payment taken was unfortunately an error from the restaurant. I can only apologise profusely for this error.

I hope to hear from you soon to re-book a room for you, should you chose to do so.