“manuel”
Review of Middletons York

Middletons York
Ranked #25 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 17 July 2014

stayed 3 nights here .Hotel excellent. Food very good .Reception staff and chambermaids , excellent , friendly , helpful , and always smiling . The only places that needs attention are the dining rooms . The main dining room needs some experienced staff to help the new staff members . One of the new waiters / bar staff was like Manuel out of Fawlty Towers in as much that he was totally out of his depth . Having said that he really did try and was pleasant and did try to help . As for breakfast it needs to be more organised . Two out of the three mornings WE had to ask for tea/coffee were as some yables were being asked twice if they wanted tea/ coffee.
Will return .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank makem52
Ladyannes, Guest Relations Manager at Middletons York, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review, and for the comments on what can be improved. We will try and resolve these issues as soon as possible!

I don't think our barman likes his new nickname, but we thank you for it as it makes us laugh! Hopefully when you return he will have improved leaps and bounds.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We had booked hotel for four nights. My mother and l were travelling for nearly four hours from our town. On choosing the accommodation l was very careful to select a deluxe room due to length of our stay, with good views and in a location with easy access to all the sights of York. On phoning to arrange booking l confirmed with receptionist all the details of a deluxe room with view, twin beds and specified l was travelling with my mother. At this stage l must add my mother is in excellent health and is in employment full time. On arrival at the hotel, we were shown to a twin room on the ground floor or should l say below floor level. The room was opposite some steps and was dark and depressing and we stated this was not the room requested or specified at time of booking. Also the room was not in the specified Lady Anne hotel because the rooms are all doubles and not twins however l was not informed of this information at time of booking. Well it appears when booking the receptionist had assumed my mother was elderly and infirm and stated l had requested a ground floor. This was certainly not the case as they could see my mother was able bodied and well. On requesting a change we were informed the hotel was full and because l had requested a twin room and we were staying for four nights they would be unable to relocate us. However if the stay was one or two nights they would have considered upgrading us. All l can say is apologies for offering our custom to the hotel for four nights!!. We were told with a dismissive attitude we could have a full refund. They reluctantly offered to help us find another place to stay knowing of the distance we had travelled. We are now in another hotel, which l found for one night to enable us to time to find another place to stay hopefully with helpful and courteous staff. No thought was given to if we could afford to stay elsewhere because refund takes three days to return to account. If we were on a tight budget we would have had to return home. Thoughtless, inconsiderate and uncaring is all l can say.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank LorraineJim
Ladyannes, Guest Relations Manager at Middletons York, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Hello Lorraine,

I am very sorry to hear that you are disappointed with the service we provided.

I can only presume there was a communication error between the hotel and yourself. The room was ground floor as requested with a view of the garden. We understand it is not the view of the main garden, however it is a ground floor, deluxe room that is a twin and that is not situated viewing the road. We do not feel the room is dingy, but I am sorry that you felt that way. We are a hotel of 6 different listed buildings so therefore not all our rooms are in the ‘Lady Anne’ house on site.

I am not sure where the ground floor specification was added, and I am sorry that we were unable to move you into another room. We unfortunately were unable to upgrade you because of the executive rooms being fully booked for the last 2 nights of your booking.

Additionally, I apologise if you found our staff dismissive and reluctant to help, as you can see from all our other reviews our staff constantly get praised.

I hope that the remainder of your visit to York is not overshadowed by the events at the hotel, and hope that you have a wonderful stay at the alternative hotel.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

My Mum and I stayed here Wednesday night in the twin room. The woman in reception was warm, friendly and helpful. The room was quite large and lots of tea, coffee and a hot chocolate provided. Had free unlimited wifi and excellent location. We had dinner in the hotel and it was absolutely delicious, perfectly cooked and seasoned. Lovely sitting outside on fine evening with ours drink too. Quiet rooms and comfy beds.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rebecca C
Ladyannes, Guest Relations Manager at Middletons York, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Hi Rebecca,

Fantastic to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for the superb review!

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

This is a decidedly mixed review. First the good: The hotel is located across the river from downtown York. The grounds are beautiful, as is the exterior of the building. The lobby bar was nice, and had wifi available. The breakfast buffet was also nice. The location is an easy walk into the city. York, itself, is an amazing town. I could go back just to stroll the streets again enjoying the history. The best beer I enjoyed in the UK was in York at the Three Tuns Tavern (Marston's Pedigree, if you were wondering). Although I had a Worthingtons Creamflow in the hotel, that I also found quite good.
Now for the not as good: the hotel was a hospital for many years. I am a physician, and thus found that interesting. However, my room FELT like a hospital room. It was very plain and simple. No frills at all. The plumbing was also suspect, however after speaking to locals, it seems that is a common problem in England, apparently most commonly irritating to Americans. :)

Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank MTKtravels

Thank you for the review and all the comments. I apologise that you didn't feel the room was up to standard! I am unsure what the plumbing issue was, however I will get our maintenance team to take a look just to be sure!

I hope if you return to York you will give us a second chance to turn it into a 5* review!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Lovely quaint hotel in the centre of York. Easy walking access to all the main sights. On the banks of the river. Our room was on the street level but it wasn't noisy. We stayed on a very hot day in Summer but there was no air conditioning and the window couldn't be open wide. It got a bit warm during the day but at night wasn't a problem. The breakfast was fantastic! Excellent choice of hot food which was always kept fresh. Parking needs to be booked in advance. They don't have many spaces and spare parking with the gym so they do run out.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NextStopTheMoon

Thank you very much for the review! We will check your room number and get maintenance to take a look at the window to see what we can do to help!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We have just spent three nights here. LAMH is a wonderful place. We got an upgrade to a deluxe triple, ( thanks Caroline) which was a lovely size and perfectly comfortable. Clean and bright, lovely big, bright bathroom.
The main building is beautiful and the grounds are lovely. The car park was busy but had no impact on us.
The gym was always busy and yes as mentioned in an earlier review, the pool is small but me and our little one were always able to get in. It was perfect for us.
The staff are lovely, thanks Maria for a smooth speedy check in.
Thanks also to Steve and Megan for looking after us so well at dinner which we ate in the restaurant on all three nights. They were marvellous.
The food was excellent always.
If I could be a tiny bit picky I would suggest that the chef expand the menu slightly as it was a tad difficult to choose anything by the last night.
Breakfast is lovely,hot and fresh, and all dishes are replenished regularly.
The hotel is beautiful, the grounds are lovely and it is perfectly placed for city access although it doesn't feel as though it's in the middle of the city at all.
We would definitely stay here again and most definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Deluxe are good, in an annexe but definitely good.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank BeijingPandora
Ladyannes, Guest Relations Manager at Middletons York, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Thank you for such a wonderful review, it was lovely to read! I will certainly pass on to the kitchen team your comments about the menu. All our food is freshly prepared and made in house, and our menu is slightly smaller than the average restaurant to ensure we can maintain this.

It is wonderful to hear you will return, and we will look forward to when you do!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

The hotel does look great and is in a fantastic central position. BUT our stay in the old house was poor. The rooms are very small with small showers and thin pillows. We stayed when it was a warm day but at night the room, number 6 was very cool and kept me awake. Parking is a nightmare as the car park is used by the gym, so if you arrive around 6pm you might have to fight for a space with the Ferrari in the disabled spot. Breakfast is so so, nothing special but the area it is served in is OK. I expected more as the hotel looks great from the outside, but I was disappointed overall

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank tetuan22s

Hello,

I am very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us! Room 6 is part of the newly refurbished block which we get many compliments on, I am saddened that it did not meet your standards.

Our car park is not shared by the gym, and we ask guests to pre-book their parking so there is always enough space for each guest. This way every guest that has paid for parking is guaranteed a space.

I hope that you will come back and give us another chance, but if not I hope you find a hotel that meets your expectations.