I travel alot with calendion travel and i was there last november and i am going back next month an it is the best hotel i been to the shower was so easy to work the room was spotless just excellent i highy recomend it .
- Free Parking
This hotel is a 12-15 minute walk southwards from York Railway Station. So, it's the same distance back into the heart of the city centre. Add another five minutes to get to the Minster and that means you're within a twenty-minute stroll of York's myriad tourist attractions.
We stayed just one February Saturday night at this hotel and were really impressed with it. All the staff were friendly and keen to be helpful. Our double room was spotless and I like no-frills so the rather austere style was fine with me.
Breakfast was excellent. the service was good which was surprising given how busy they were when we entered the dining room.
A couple of us had a "nightcap": one large brandy and one large whisky all for a tenner!!
We considered it excellent value-for-money and would definitely stay there again.
A couple of words of caution:
1. check to see if there is a race meeting in York. You would be hard pushed to find any hotel space.
2. Be careful if you park at the front. A couple of cars were clamped on rather obscured double-yellow lines.
Had a great time. Clean rooms, staff friendly and really close to the city centre. Nothing was too much trouble. Would definitely stay here again! Drink was cheap and the food menu looked very nice. Parking was available at all times.
I stayed here with my daughter and granddaughter for two nights. All the staff were very friendly and welcoming. The rooms were spotless and very comfortable. The breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice. I would definitely recommend this hotel.
A good hotel close to the centre of York. The staff were friendly and helpful, breakfast was good, and the rooms were nice. We ended up in a room they hadn't yet re-done, so it was a bit tired, but we would go back again.
I agree with many of the reviews here (which helped me choose this hotel in the first place - thanks everyone) that its a good place to stay, particularly at the very reasonable nightly rate I was offered via booking.com. As that rate included a really nice breakfast served in a lovely little dining room, I was generally very contented here.
So, assuming you take my - and most others reviewers' - positive feelings seriously and book to stay here, just a couple of negatives to note:
1. The hotel's parking is at a premium and in a rather narrow area at the rear so make sure you get in early enough to get one. Its not helped at times by inconsiderate guests, who are mainly those with big, expensive cars. They seem to have an utter disdain for the rest of the population particularly when it comes to allowing them enough room to get past and reach other parking bays.
2. If you're in a single room (like me) and on business, don't expect to do much work in the room as desks aren't provided. And as the free wifi is only available in the public areas it can be a bit of a mission to go and sit in the bar/lounges to work, especially if you have to make confidential phone calls at the same time.
3. Don't be fooled by the 'closeness to York City Centre' statements. Its a brisk 15 minutes walk to get to the better restaurants in the centre.
4. If you get talked into going to the one 'proper' restaurant close to the Wheatlands at the Hotel du Vin just over the road, have a check on the prices before going in. They are eye-wateringly high for simple bistro food.
Otherwise, hope this review is of use.