“Good location and friendly”

Wheatlands Lodge Hotel
Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in York
UK
“Good location and friendly”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Found this hotel at last minute after weeks of searching for a reasonable priced to stay. Staff extremely friendly and helpful, they couldn't have made you more welcome. Room was fine but bathroom a little bit tired. Breakfast wonderful with quite a good choice. Bar in hotel really friendly. Overall impressed with service and would stay again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I had a room booked for a Saturday evening, on the morning of the booking our plans changed beyond our control and we needed a family room for 4. I phoned the hotel and explained the situation, they could not have been more accommodating, even though they were fully booked they made some adjustments and made our room a family one without any hesitation. I am 100% sure that if it was a chain of hotels and not a family run one they would not have done this.

We had a great visit to York as always and as somebody who used to live here I can recommend this hotel. It is in easy walking distance to the town and on the doorstep of the racecourse.

I have read a few reviews that people have left complaining about this hotel, for the money you can't do any better so close to one of the most popular towns in the country. It's clean, tidy and the staff are friendly. We will definitely stay here again.

Thank you again for been so accommodating.

Stayed March 2014
London
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I read great reviews of this hotel on another website and here, so I booked this hotel thinking it would be a good find. I was very disappointed though. Our room wasn't clean, the service wasn't good, and although the staff were friendly, I don't think it was a particularly well run joint. I felt like I was invisible all weekend while all efforts were made to ensure the stag do members were looked after. There is no wifi except in the reception area (even though it is advertised as though it is readily available), and there were many other things that didn't work in our room. I only ate the breakfast there once, and not only was it poor service, it wasn't particularly as impressive as everyone makes it out to be. I am scratching my head wondering if I was in a different place....

Room Tip: Don't go for a room at the front. They look nice but they are over the bar. Although bars genera...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LondonBreas
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I stayed here with a friend for a weekend stay at the end of February 2014 and do not think I would have to look very hard to find a better hotel at a similar price.

There were several issues which came up during our stay which I would have expected to be fixed given the price we were paying for the room – the room rate wasn’t cheap even though many elements of the hotel do seem cheap!

Upon check-in there were a collection of hairs from a previous occupant on the bench top in the bathroom. The television didn’t work at all and the wifi is incredibly patchy and unreliable. I was not given a replacement towel by housekeeping (despite following their signposted directions and placing the one I wanted replaced in the shower recess). The only ceiling light blew a lightbulb on the first day of our stay and was never replaced, despite the issue being reported to the front desk twice.

The provided breakfast (for an additional fee, of course) was mediocre at best and the first morning of our stay we were ignored for about ten minutes by the staff before we finally asked how we could order; apparently they should have approached us sooner, but just didn’t.

While the staff are friendly, given the hotel’s location outside of the centre of York, I would suggest prospective guests should check prices of other hotels in more central locations.

I am afraid this hotel is a second choice at best.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Wickham Bishops, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I was part of a visiting choir to York Minster and was looking for a value for money establishment within walking distance of the Minster. As it was the weekend of the Jorvik Viking Festival every Hotel in York seemed to be asking for lots of money.

Having seen the reviews for this Hotel I decided to book and was able to book a single en-suite room. The price asked was very acceptable. I did think that the facilities might be limited. However I was most impressed.

Although this is an old property the decor was up to date and the compact room had everything I needed. A TV, radio alarm, kettle with plenty of tea and coffee as well as a good en-suite shower room. Everywhere was very clean.

The staff were friendly and helpful and the bar charged reasonable prices! Breakfast was most acceptable with plenty of choice and serving staff that were happy to accept reasonable requests.

All in all a very pleasant 3 night stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
ayrshire
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed for 4 nights here and loved it. Had a spacious room which was spotlessly clean, plenty of storage space and clean towels daily. excellent breakfast with good choice of juice, cereals, yogurt etc. and equally good choice of hot food. We had booked for dinner each night and were not disappointed. 4 course dinner with ample helpings of delicious foodand coffee to follow. The staff were all very friendly and extremely helpful. The hotel is in a perfect location with only a 15 minute walk to all the sightseeing attractions of York. Also very handy for the railway station. This is an excellent value for money hotel and we not hesitate to recommend to friends and family and we hope to return in the future. thanks to all for a lovely stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AyrshreMonachs
Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

At last.....a Hotel thats run properly and staff that know how to look after their guests. We have just spent 3 nights there and wish we could have stayed longer. Good standards throughout and would recommend this Hotel to anyone who wants a very good place to stay. Tim was a great ambassador and gave us as much information as we asked for.
Thank you for a great stay and we hope to see you again soon.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple