“great bargain hotel”

Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in York
Liverpool, UK
“great bargain hotel”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a night in March, it was last minute and there wasn't a great deal of choice. We were really happy with the hotel for the price and the location was great with an easy strole into the centre. Breakfast was delicious and the staff were nice. Free parking saved us a fortune as well. I would stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

On arrival, we were given a lovely welcome by Tanya, who was very friendly and accommodating. Check in was smooth and in no time at all we were comfortably settled into two very clean, pleasantly decorated, well-appointed rooms on the top floor.

Deciding to take a walk into town, we were delighted to discover that the heart of York was barely a 10 to 15 minute brisk walk away, making this in our eyes a perfect location to explore the city from a quiet, convenient location.

The in-house bar was cosy, inviting and well-stocked, making it a perfect for a relaxing drink at the end of the day.

Overall, excellent value for money and a place we would definitely stay at again, when returning to York

Room Tip: We loved the rooms on the top floor, but if climbing several flights of fairly narrow, steep stairs...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
GLASGOW
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

My mother and her friend just returned from a 5 day break in York and stayed in the wheatlands. They both raved about hotel...staff friendly...food excellent and great place to explore York. They both agreed that they would have no hesitation in returning as it was outstanding value and so much better than its 2 star rating...is easily a 3 plus rating. They stayed in room 8 which was comfortable and welcoming and loved the laurel and hardy statues in the bar. Well done as my mum is very particular lol

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SUNNYDAYSGlasgow
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Wheatlands Lodge is a nice hotel which is within a couple of very nice terraced houses. It is very welcoming and the price is good too!

Staff were very friendly and helpful and I was delighted when we went to ask if we could leave our bags there before we went out for the day as it was several hours before check in, and the lady at the desk told me that our room was ready if we wanted to put them in there instead. It gave us the opportunity to freshen up after an early start and train journey.

I then realised I'd booked a twin room instead of double by accident, not that it matters as the room itself was very airy and decorated in a basic but tasteful way. Bathroom was very clean.

Breakfast was good, I did not have a cooked breakfast but my partner had scrambled eggs on toast and he enjoyed it. Coffee was nice and there was a range of cereal and fruit juice.

The only negative, I'd say, is I could hear people going into their rooms very clearly and when they opened their doors nearby it sounded like ours opening which made me jump up a couple of times. Thankfully, I always carry earplugs so it was not a problem for long and I slept soundly with them in.

It is about 10 minutes walk to the centre of York, and not a bad walk either. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights March 11-14 as I was attending a conference. The hotel is a handy walk from the train station which was a good start. The welcome was friendly and when the lady realised I was travelling alone she offered me the reduced room rate. I appreciated this as she could have charged as per my computerised booking. The room was spacious and very clean with a nice ensuite bathroom. No shampoo was a bit of a surprise but when I asked, the nice gentleman at the desk gave a a little bottle and said they were about to include bathroom accessories routinely. The hotel has a cosy friendly bar. Breakfast was very decent - great poached eggs on toast. The hotel is very convenient for town and I got great advice on restaurants locally. I went for a run 2 mornings along the banks of the Ouse and again the hotel was well located for this. Wi-fi does not really work at all in the bedroom, not in mine at least, but is fine downstairs near reception or in the bar.

The hotel is family-owned which is a nice change from impersonal chains. I think this hotel punches above its weight as 2 star and is very good value for money. Adding the toiletries to the bathrooms will be a good improvement.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 553Aisling
UK
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Found this hotel at last minute after weeks of searching for a reasonable priced to stay. Staff extremely friendly and helpful, they couldn't have made you more welcome. Room was fine but bathroom a little bit tired. Breakfast wonderful with quite a good choice. Bar in hotel really friendly. Overall impressed with service and would stay again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I had a room booked for a Saturday evening, on the morning of the booking our plans changed beyond our control and we needed a family room for 4. I phoned the hotel and explained the situation, they could not have been more accommodating, even though they were fully booked they made some adjustments and made our room a family one without any hesitation. I am 100% sure that if it was a chain of hotels and not a family run one they would not have done this.

We had a great visit to York as always and as somebody who used to live here I can recommend this hotel. It is in easy walking distance to the town and on the doorstep of the racecourse.

I have read a few reviews that people have left complaining about this hotel, for the money you can't do any better so close to one of the most popular towns in the country. It's clean, tidy and the staff are friendly. We will definitely stay here again.

Thank you again for been so accommodating.

Stayed March 2014