“shame about the entertainment”

Wheatlands Lodge Hotel
Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in York
carlisle
“shame about the entertainment”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

lovely hotel, but nothing to keep you in the hotel on a night, just a pianist.
food was fine but only two choices for main course, feel it should be three.

staff very helpful but felt sorry for the receptionist/barmaid on a night had to work both, therefore sometimes you could wait at the bar for up to twenty minutes.

rooms were lovely.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2014

After a long day of driving thought of dragging suitcases up two flights of stairs was harrowing but manageable. Our room (family) was small but clean and as we weren't planning to spend much time in it, was okay for our needs. We had requested a cot for my 9 month old grandson which wasn't in the room at the time of arrival but was there when we came back from our walk through York. We were hoping to have a meal when we arrived but we were told they weren't cooking tonight which was disappointing. Downstairs in the bar and sitting rooms etc was a Abbot and Costello wonderland. The owner was in the bar and my son-in-law had a wonderful chat with him. Wifi is available in the lobby. Breakfasts were lovely and plentiful and the staff once again were lovely and friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Telford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

after a very tiring, traumatic experience and failing to get to Scarborough myself a work friend became stranded in York at midnight. I managed to get the last twin room at this hotel. The staff member on duty was wonderful. he made us a pot of tea before showing us to our room. The room was very clean and nicely presented. In order to catch the earliest train out to Scarborough we had to wake at 5.30 the staff member told us to come down to restaurant at 6am which we did and a pot of tea and toast was waiting for us. he organised a taxi to get us there in time for our train.

Lovely presented hotel, excellent location. Very clean through. very nice area where you can easily walk into town and see all York's fantastic attractions. would definitely stay here again for a longer period

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We were part of a hen party and just staying 1 night ...... got direction on Google and was easy located , on arrival the grounds were well maintained. Reception staff were lovely and helpful. Got to our room and we were all impressed with room sizes and facilities. Shower water hot. I was 100% happy

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Rushden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I visited as a member of a County Bowling Association on its Annual Tour, and we were a group of 32 male bowlers. The general facilities at the hotel were very satisfactory and quite adequate for our purpose. All the staff were very pleasant and welcoming, whether on the bar, reception, dining or domestic staff, and it was quite clear that they wanted to ensure a happy visit, which they very largely did.
I have no issues about the food supplied, well presented and sufficient for my needs, and served very quickly by friendly dining room staff.
My room (21) was on the ground floor, and whereas it was quite adequate for my needs, it was a bit 'cramped' and dark, and immediately outside was a 'smokers' corner' which was used rather too much for my liking, so that I could not have my windows open. Initially on entering my room for the first time I thought someone had been smoking in it, but that was not the case, it was smoke entering via the window which was open.
The bed was very comfortable and I had no problems sleeping. It was a quiet spot within the hotel. The walk-in shower was a bonus as I have difficulties 'balancing' in a shower in a bath, and cannot get in or out of a bath itself without difficulty.
I had a need to access the internet upon my arrival on the 26th May, but that was not possible, either in my room or in the reception area, despite trying many times, and I was not alone in this. Another member of my party is a computer expert who teaches the subject and he was quite satisfied that the hotel's router and internet access needs sorting out.
With his help I was eventually able to make internet connection via a BT wif-fi hotspot which I was able to access from my room.
I would hasten to add that this initial hiccup did not affect my enjoyment of the visit or seriously inconvenience me in the 'work' I had to do via the internet.
The hotel is well located, not too far from the City Centre, and its many attractions, although on this occassion I personally did not have time to avail myself of them.

Room Tip: If you want a ground floor room and you do not smoke - do not have Room 21. Friends of mine had Roo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
glasgow
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Out third visit to this Hotel. Room Clean. Cold on arrival but when mentioned at Reception a heater was provided poste haste. Being a old rambling Hotel water had to be run for a while before becoming hot but plentiful supply of it. We are fussy vegetarians and although approx. 6 dishes on offer nothing suited .More than happy to supply us with alternatives. Food of good quality and served efficiently. All staff genuinely very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. Would be more than happy to recommend it you want a family run Hotel within walking distance of centre of York and railway station

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Swindon
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is approximately 15 mins walk from the city centre.
A nice place to stay, good food basic breakfast but the evening meal is great value for money.
Our room was directly over the entrance which meant I was woken every time anyone returned after midnight,you have to get the night manager to let you in. I was also disturbed by people smoking/talking outside the entrance at night. My advice would be to ask for a room at the back! Staff were very friendly and helpful. I would go again.

• Stayed May 2014